Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some asshole scraped the bumper of my car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I discovered this on my car today.. This is on the driver's side. I honestly have no clue when I got this as I rarely park near anyone and give others plenty of space.

Luckily I have PPF on the front bumper. I'm hopeful that the paint is not messed up, but it's not healing with near boiling water. I probably have to get my front bumper redone with new PPF and maybe some slight touch up paint.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180820_190217.jpg
    MVIMG_20180820_190217.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 252
  • MVIMG_20180820_190350.jpg
    MVIMG_20180820_190350.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 228
  • MVIMG_20180820_190353.jpg
    MVIMG_20180820_190353.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 228
I discovered this on my car today.. This is on the driver's side. I honestly have no clue when I got this as I rarely park near anyone and give others plenty of space.

Luckily I have PPF on the front bumper. I'm hopeful that the paint is not messed up, but it's not healing with near boiling water. I probably have to get my front bumper redone with new PPF and maybe some slight touch up paint.

Sorry that this happened. The damage is too severe for whichever self healing clearbra you have installed. The self-healing property only works on light surface scratches (ones you can't feel) and light swirl marks.

I don't think a detailer can take that out, assuming the film is damaged (looks like it's ruffled?)

Most likely your 2 options are
1. Leave it if you can live with it
2. Remove the clearbra and install a new one (I know it sucks that the whole thing has to be replaced for such a small area)

The plus side to this is that your paint isn't damaged most likely. The cost to repaint a bumper + time it's in the shop I think is a bigger pain in the butt.

Like Vines mentioned above, your PPF did its job which is good!

I attached 2 pictures below to show you how much damage clearbra can take, so I'm sure your paint is fine :)

Model S front lip scraped up going a parking lot. Film is ClearGuard Nano.
screen-shot-2018-02-01-at-9-03-21-am-png.277423

Film removed:
dsc08942-jpg.277446

Last edited:

I got one of those on like Day 3 of owning the car. Most of it wiped off. The rest is easy to touch up, if you have a touch up kit for your color car and you don't have PPF on it.

Ahhhh bummer! So sorry this happened. Is your PPF the XPEL that is supposedly self-correcting? Perhaps try exposing it to direct sun for a couple days, or hit it with a heat gun, to see if it works itself out?

The self healing layer of PPF is extremely thin, you can see where it has been broken through (small C shaped marks of stress fracture.) so this damage will not heal, despite that there is still some clear bra covering the area, its one of the under layers that are not self healing.

What a dick. That sucks.
Some POS door dinged my car twice in one go, little f***cker.
People these days!