Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone backed into my car. 2500 bucks to repair it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
C7D72D1A-2BA0-43F8-9F33-1DB02A6814DA.jpeg
D9B9CB8F-727F-4900-9687-0D4920647801.jpeg

The parking sensor sized gash and bumper is now misaligned on the other side

Got a quote from a Tesla certified shop for 2500 bucks.
They said the bumper needs to be replaced.

Should I even bother trying non certified shops? Since tesla won’t sell them a bumper.

View attachment 433411 View attachment 433410

The parking sensor sized gash and bumper is now misaligned on the other side

Got a quote from a Tesla certified shop for 2500 bucks.
They said the bumper needs to be replaced.

Should I even bother trying non certified shops? Since tesla won’t sell them a bumper.

if this is covered under insurance would do the work at tesla certified body shop ..since the car looks drivable let the shop order the parts first since it takes a while

if this is covered under insurance would do the work at tesla certified body shop ..since the car looks drivable let the shop order the parts first since it takes a while
It should be covered, I have full coverage since it’s a lease.
However I was hoping to just pay cash, and avoid a claim. However after the estimate I will just go through insurance, 500 dollar deductible is better than paying 2500... maybe not in the long run if my rate goes up a lot.

It should be covered, I have full coverage since it’s a lease.
However I was hoping to just pay cash, and avoid a claim. However after the estimate I will just go through insurance, 500 dollar deductible is better than paying 2500... maybe not in the long run if my rate goes up a lot.

not sure about your state but in California if your not at fault insurance can’t raise rates ..my previous S was also hit by someone else and my rates remained the same ..sorry to see this but since it’s lease best is to do from Tesla certified shop ...my S was also leased and not sure what would have happened when I turned in and wasn’t repaired by Tesla shop

Reactions: AMPd
not sure about your state but in California if your not at fault insurance can’t raise rates ..my previous S was also hit by someone else and my rates remained the same ..sorry to see this but since it’s lease best is to do from Tesla certified shop ...my S was also leased and not sure what would have happened when I turned in and wasn’t repaired by Tesla shop
I did not know that, I am in California.
That’s good to know, makes me feel a lot better.
This is my second tesla to be hit in the last 3 years. Luckily the first time the person left a note and notified his insurance before I even took it to a shop.

Reactions: P85_DA
Condolences.

My rear bumper cover has been scuffed twice in 3 months (once on each corner) - the last one narrowly missing a body panel.

Quote from Tesla was $1500ish, iirc.

Alternative is I buy the part ($800), take it to a body shop with my car so they can color match and paint ($450), take the painted part back to Tesla and give them $180 to swap bumper covers. Benefits being I’m not without my car for a week, and I can sell the original bumper cover to recoup some of the cash.

Either way it’s a pain. Plus I’m not likely to have it done until I get rid of the car, since the only thing worse than paying once is paying twice.

So for now, $40 to Dr. Color Chip for some touch up paint will be the way to go. Good practice.

I'm going against the majority here, but I would leave the bumper as is (if the new bumper gap isn't that noticeable). Your damage in the photo appears like a bug splat and (to me) is barely noticeable. As your bumper is in a "danger zone" area (rock chips, parking taps, etc.), I would wait for some more wear and tear before replacing the bumper.

Plus, you never know if the body shop will get the car back in perfect shape. There are often issues with overspray, PDC sensors misaligned, etc. Ask yourself if it's worth the paperwork, loaner car, mechanics playing with your car, etc.

Reactions: SSonnentag
I'm going against the majority here, but I would leave the bumper as is (if the new bumper gap isn't that noticeable). Your damage in the photo appears like a bug splat and (to me) is barely noticeable. As your bumper is in a "danger zone" area (rock chips, parking taps, etc.), I would wait for some more wear and tear before replacing the bumper.

Plus, you never know if the body shop will get the car back in perfect shape. There are often issues with overspray, PDC sensors misaligned, etc. Ask yourself if it's worth the paperwork, loaner car, mechanics playing with your car, etc.
It’s lease you can’t return that way ;)