Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone hit my new P3D+ and drove off...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It did hit me square on the wheels actually. Alignment on the car is totally effed.

Damn, that sucks. I had an issue with my front wheel after an accident and no one could ever fixed it perfectly. For the next 80,000 miles my tires always wear out faster and uneven. This is with 4 wheel alignment done every 10k miles too. AWDs are very picky where all 4 wheels have to be perfect. However this was 20years ago. Maybe tech are better now. Hope your car won’t have that issue.

OP did u get a police report ? At minimum you should write it up with witness information and file with police ..it will help with further subrogation if your insurance is able to collect from other party .

I got a police report and gave the witness’s info. The cop didn’t give me much hope though - said they weren’t gonna be able to find the person, and that even though there are cams at the intersection, the city doesn’t turn them on...

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Unfortunately, spent about 30 min driving through the neighborhood and didn’t see the perp. Grabbing dinner now and will head back again just to make sure...

Nope - no luck. Think I've done about all I could at this point.

Get those dash cams installed folks. Learn from my folly.

Dropped the car off at the body shop today - they're estimating a 2-4 week repair. I'm not expecting it back before 4 weeks though, but we'll see...

Reactions: P85_DA
Get the best description as possible of the vehicle from the witness and anyone else via the Reddit.

The best hope is the word gets out on Nextdoor. People are surprisingly active on that. Usually its posts like "Whos this asshat driving aggressively on Jamboree????" and someone will be like.. uhh thats my neighbors kid - I'll go talk to his mom.

Hopefully the same network can help when it matters the most.

Really sorry this happened to you.

Reactions: Jedi2155 and P85_DA
Given angle of hit even a 2ch BVue would probably miss capturing you would probably need 4ch setup ..hopefully Tesla can get car sidecam footage ..

There are 4ch models out there?!

I got a police report and gave the witness’s info. The cop didn’t give me much hope though - said they weren’t gonna be able to find the person, and that even though there are cams at the intersection, the city doesn’t turn them on...

All I can say to cameras that are off at the intersections is WTF?!?!

There are 4ch models out there?!

All I can say to cameras that are off at the intersections is WTF?!?!

The attitude of the cop was more or less, “tough sh*t”. How could I tell?

“Are you sure you really want to file this report? The case number ends in 666”

“There were 3 other hit and runs in the past hour, so yeah”

“The City has cameras there, but they’re probably not recording”

“It’s actually better that you don’t find the guy” (my response - seriously?? Why??) - “oh, cause then u have to waste time going to court”

“Ok fine, I guess I’ll take your witness’s name/number”

“Oh he went into that neighborhood there? Well, he’s probably long gone”

“I don’t want to get your hopes up, but we aren’t gonna find him. It’s probably better that way”

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen and Pkmmte

“It’s actually better that you don’t find the guy” (my response - seriously?? Why??) - “oh, cause then u have to waste time going to court”

“I don’t want to get your hopes up, but we aren’t gonna find him. It’s probably better that way”

I am having a serious case of Deja Vu here.

They really don’t care about this stuff unless someone was seriously injured or killed.

• Helpful
Reactions: MXWing

From their perspective its "ONLY property damage" and "that is why you have insurance".

Not that I agree obviously - but I've had this happen in the past and that was the response I got. ><

American's hate "big brother" but guaranteed 100% his ass is arrested in China. 100% Cameras that work at every intersection and license plate scanners means you do not get away with vehicular crimes there.

From their perspective its "ONLY property damage" and "that is why you have insurance".

Not that I agree obviously - but I've had this happen in the past and that was the response I got. ><

American's hate "big brother" but guaranteed 100% his ass is arrested in China. 100% Cameras that work at every intersection and license plate scanners means you do not get away with vehicular crimes there.

Yeah, I prefer not living in a police state.

I should have elaborated on my earlier comment.

My wife had her car rear ended, actually followed the guy and (foolishly) confronted him. She had his license plate number, description, and place of work. His comment when she confronted him and told him she was going to call the cops since he wouldn't provide any insurance info was "I'm not going back to jail b*tch".

She made a report and it fell to the state highway patrol. These guys are supposed to be better than the county sheriffs and local law enforcement, they are basically one step down from the CBI guys.

A couple of weeks went by and they finally called her to report "we can't find this guy". How is that possible? They had the license plate number, place of work, etc.... When she pushed them on this (at this point her claim was clearly going to be at least a few thousand dollars which meant it would affect our insurance rates) they said "well, we can't find this guy, nobody knows where he is and this is a simple case of property damage, which you are insured for.".

Reactions: Jedi2155 and MXWing
Yeah, I prefer not living in a police state.

I should have elaborated on my earlier comment.

My wife had her car rear ended, actually followed the guy and (foolishly) confronted him. She had his license plate number, description, and place of work. His comment when she confronted him and told him she was going to call the cops since he wouldn't provide any insurance info was "I'm not going back to jail b*tch".

She made a report and it fell to the state highway patrol. These guys are supposed to be better than the county sheriffs and local law enforcement, they are basically one step down from the CBI guys.

A couple of weeks went by and they finally called her to report "we can't find this guy". How is that possible? They had the license plate number, place of work, etc.... When she pushed them on this (at this point her claim was clearly going to be at least a few thousand dollars which meant it would affect our insurance rates) they said "well, we can't find this guy, nobody knows where he is and this is a simple case of property damage, which you are insured for.".

Unless you've spent a significant amount of time in a police state, it's hard to comprehend SOME of the benefits. Not saying I would prefer to live in China overall but there are pros/cons of living there as well as living in the US.

For example, I am sure we both hate nanny states. A nanny state and a police state is not the same thing. None of the nonsense like uninsured drivers happen over there. People don't overleverage themselves to buy Tesla's and force people like you and me to bail them out. Scumbag people that your wife ran into don't exist in the general populace. Society is very orderly. I don't leave my house without my wallet, cell phone, keys and CCW. Over in China, my phone replaces my wallet, public transportation is amazing, and I don't feel naked unarmed.

It takes spending time there to really see that, my preconceived notions were definitely blown away.

Though as far as the topic... my wife's friend who was visiting had a flight in the evening and wanted to do some last minute shopping. Of COURSE she leaves her backpack in the taxi with all her cash, ID, passports, all the things that she needs to leave country.

They go to the police station to look for help. My wife gave them the intersection and approximate time the taxi dropped them off. After scanning about 150 taxis in the 4 minute period, they were able to find the taxi by bringing up the driver picture attached to the cab. The police contacted the driver and then my wife and her friend met up with the driver to collect her backpack.

A hit and run person scumbag is f*cked over there, no doubt about it at all.

Unless you've spent a significant amount of time in a police state, it's hard to comprehend SOME of the benefits. Not saying I would prefer to live in China overall but there are pros/cons of living there as well as living in the US.

For example, I am sure we both hate nanny states. A nanny state and a police state is not the same thing. None of the nonsense like uninsured drivers happen over there. People don't overleverage themselves to buy Tesla's and force people like you and me to bail them out. Scumbag people that your wife ran into don't exist in the general populace. Society is very orderly. I don't leave my house without my wallet, cell phone, keys and CCW. Over in China, my phone replaces my wallet, public transportation is amazing, and I don't feel naked unarmed.

It takes spending time there to really see that, my preconceived notions were definitely blown away.

Though as far as the topic... my wife's friend who was visiting had a flight in the evening and wanted to do some last minute shopping. Of COURSE she leaves her backpack in the taxi with all her cash, ID, passports, all the things that she needs to leave country.

They go to the police station to look for help. My wife gave them the intersection and approximate time the taxi dropped them off. After scanning about 150 taxis in the 4 minute period, they were able to find the taxi by bringing up the driver picture attached to the cab. The police contacted the driver and then my wife and her friend met up with the driver to collect her backpack.

A hit and run person scumbag is f*cked over there, no doubt about it at all.

Nazi Germany was also supposedly incredibly orderly and well managed with virtually no crime.

I haven't been to China but work with quite a few people who have. They pointed out there are pros & cons for sure. From their descriptions, for a freedom loving person like myself I would never be happy there. Having all of your communications monitored, web traffic heavily filtered, and no ability to criticize the government (not to mention sham elections)... nope.

If totalitarianism is the cure for society's ills I guess I'll just live with stage IV cancer.

giphy.gif

Nazi Germany was also supposedly incredibly orderly and well managed with virtually no crime.

I haven't been to China but work with quite a few people who have. They pointed out there are pros & cons for sure. From their descriptions, for a freedom loving person like myself I would never be happy there. Having all of your communications monitored, web traffic heavily filtered, and no ability to criticize the government (not to mention sham elections)... nope.

If totalitarianism is the cure for society's ills I guess I'll just live with stage IV cancer.

It's not difficult at all to bypass the Great Firewall if you are in academia, or tech, or know someone who is. China's Great Firewall is not meant to block people like you and me - it's meant to control information to the masses. It's a hard concept to see as a "good thing". Just that every time you turn on the news and read about stupid *sugar* the masses in America do, that doesn't exist over there in China.

I hope someday you can spend significant time over there and have your mind blown. I bleed red, white and blue but can see how nice some of things are over there. The main dealbreaker to me is is the terrible packet loss and latency for anything not based in China. uggg

I can't speak of living in Europe but there are good in between societies like Japan with freedom of information and being orderly as well. I just don't want to fit my whole family into the square footage of my garage. Pros/cons everywhere. :D