Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone just rear ended me. Does Tesla have pre-painted trunk lids and rear bumpers for repairs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car was rear ended when it was one week old. Still isn't repaired because fighting with perp's insurance company. I have talked to the Tesla certified body shop where the work will be done. They will order (if necessary) the rear bumper fascia unpainted because they can do a better color match (Pearl White) if they paint it themselves. They said their preferred choice is to repair the existing rear fascia if possible (won't know if attachment clips are damaged until they remove it) because it is much easier and accurate to feather a paint repair on an original panel. BTW, these guys are good! They do work for Chip Foose and his Overhaulin' TV show.

There seems to be a lot of rear collisions with Model 3s. I worry about it when I'm driving. I think that it is because the brake lights don't come on when using gentle regenerative braking while approaching a stop light or stop sign. I've noticed here in Tucson that drivers behind me often seem to be late in their braking when I am slowing for a stoplight, and get much closer to me than I am comfortable with. But then again, back in the olden days when drivers downshifted their manual transmissions to slow down, their brake lights didn't activate to indicate they were slowing.

Got rear ended and need the trunk lid and rear bumper skin replaced. Those were the only painted panels that were damaged. Wondering if I should expect my car to be sent out for paint when it’s being repaired.
Elon just said that they are trying to go to that model of having prepainted parts located at service centers. Not sure how close they are on that.

• Funny
Reactions: adaptabl
I was hit while stopped at an intersection. The other driver wasn’t paying attention.

My other question wasn’t answered yet: When it comes to Tesla and accident damage, do I setup a service appointment?
I called my local Service Center and they told me to contact a local Tesla certified body shop (they gave me a choice of two) for any body damage that is not a warranty issue.

Reactions: Thomas Edison
My car was rear ended when it was one week old. Still isn't repaired because fighting with perp's insurance company. I have talked to the Tesla certified body shop where the work will be done. They will order (if necessary) the rear bumper fascia unpainted because they can do a better color match (Pearl White) if they paint it themselves. They said their preferred choice is to repair the existing rear fascia if possible (won't know if attachment clips are damaged until they remove it) because it is much easier and accurate to feather a paint repair on an original panel. BTW, these guys are good! They do work for Chip Foose and his Overhaulin' TV show.

Whats going on with his insurance company? They trying to get out of paying?

Personally, I'd recommend another body shop than Tesla, which will usually get you a better job at a much cheaper price. My local body shop is close, rather than the 105 miles to Tesla, and the work is undetectable.

There is no reason to go to Tesla unless you have lots of money, you actually like them, and they are close.

I'm sure there are instances when one can't do anything to keep from being whacked in the tail, but there are some things one can do to help keep people back and aware.

First thing I can think of is to come to a stop or a light.... gently. I drift in with regen, and I watch my rear view mirror to see what's coming at me. Then I stop a good car length back from the car ahead so I can dodge out if need be, but usually my car moving slowly is sufficient. AND I WATCH. If I'm first in line, I have no compunction against using the intersection for more space, and I watch that, too, to have a potential space spotted.

I figure they'll hit me if I let them, and I don't aim to let them. It's never happened to me yet (fingers crossed).

Call Tesla Support and they will put you in touch with a body shop. My husband just went through this with his MS that was backed into in November and needed bumper work and repaint on a thin section of the rear panel right above the bumper. The person who hit him had insurance through Allstate and they sent an adjuster out to look at the damage and gave him a quote. Covered PPF as well. Sent him a check for it. When Tesla’s body shop got it apart there was some additional parts needed and Tesla worked it out with Allstate for payment so he didn’t need to get involved. They picked up the cost of the rental as well. He just picked up car on Thursday (dropped off on Friday morning before, so decent turn around time). Now to work on the diminished value.

Whats going on with his insurance company? They trying to get out of paying?
No, they (Farmers Ins) are willing to pay for the damage, but the problem is a rental car for me while mine is being repaired. They are willing to provide me a rental car but they said the perp only has $25/day rental car coverage (he was driving a newer MBZ) and that provides me a compact Dodge clown car. They said that a Tesla runs $350 per day from Enterprise "Exotic Car division". o_O If I want to drive a Tesla to replace my Tesla I will have to pay the difference ($325/day) out of pocket and I would have to sue the perp in small claims court in a separate action to recover the cost to me. I am unwilling to do that. I have contacted the State Insurance Commissioner to mediate the disagreement.

• Funny
Personally, I'd recommend another body shop than Tesla, which will usually get you a better job at a much cheaper price. My local body shop is close, rather than the 105 miles to Tesla, and the work is undetectable.

There is no reason to go to Tesla unless you have lots of money, you actually like them, and they are close.
I'm sure you are right, but here is the rub. If the car needs any parts, Tesla will not sell them to an independent shop. And if any of the cameras, sensors, or other equipment at the back of the car needs to be re-calibrated or fixed and an independent shop tries to do that, you will void the warranty for those systems. In my opinion, it is not worth it to save a few bucks.

I just got rear ended yesterday myself. Teenage driver said she was looking down when she hit me (I’m guessing she was looking at her phone) and she bumped me as she was coming to a stop. Fortunately it was at very low speed. Bumper isn’t dented, but there are some nice scratches and a couple of divots where the lisence plate of the car that hit me dig into the bumper a bit. Waiting on my insurance company to get back to me with next steps. First time I’ve been in an accident in 20 years, so I don’t have much experience in this arena.