Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone just rear ended me. Does Tesla have pre-painted trunk lids and rear bumpers for repairs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did Allstate provide him a Tesla rental to replace his Tesla?

No. He was offered a Nissan Altima. Our insurance company said they had to offer you a “like type” car, whatever that means. Certainly not a Tesla, not electric, not even in the same ball park of value for the car which in my mind it should be. He was told that Teslas fell into the Exotic Car category as well. Rental thru Enterprise as well.

If I remember correctly our own insurance company caps car rental to $25 a day.

Last edited:
No. He was offered a Nissan Altima. Our insurance company said they had to offer you a “like type” car, whatever that means. Certainly not a Tesla, not electric, not even in the same ball park of value for the car which in my mind it should be. He was told that Teslas fell into the Exotic Car category as well. Rental thru Enterprise as well.

If I remember correctly our own insurance company caps car rental to $25 a day.
I resolved the insurance issue today with the perp's insurance company. They have.agreed to put me into a "luxury" class car like a Cad CTS or Linc. MLK and pay for all gasoline. As far as I'm concerned, this is a step backwards, but whatever. It will be interesting to compare a "luxury" car with a model 3! :D Taking my car to the certified body shop tomorrow to start the tear down for inspection of internal damage.

I have learned a lot about insurance in the last month. I called my insurance company today, Geico, to ask about my rental car coverage. Geico offers three tiers of rental car coverage - $35/day, $45/day, and $50/day. The premium is based on which tier you select. For example, $50/day is $50 premium for 6 months. I asked what happens if I hit someone in a Tesla and they want a $350/day Tesla. She said I would be responsible for the difference, $300/day. That's the bad news. The good news is that I have a significant, personal umbrella policy with Geico and if the other party sued me for the rental car difference, my umbrella policy would cover it. ;)

Reactions: devilmountain
I resolved the insurance issue today with the perp's insurance company. They have.agreed to put me into a "luxury" class car like a Cad CTS or Linc. MLK and pay for all gasoline. As far as I'm concerned, this is a step backwards, but whatever. It will be interesting to compare a "luxury" car with a model 3! :D Taking my car to the certified body shop tomorrow to start the tear down for inspection of internal damage.

I have learned a lot about insurance in the last month. I called my insurance company today, Geico, to ask about my rental car coverage. Geico offers three tiers of rental car coverage - $35/day, $45/day, and $50/day. The premium is based on which tier you select. For example, $50/day is $50 premium for 6 months. I asked what happens if I hit someone in a Tesla and they want a $350/day Tesla. She said I would be responsible for the difference, $300/day. That's the bad news. The good news is that I have a significant, personal umbrella policy with Geico and if the other party sued me for the rental car difference, my umbrella policy would cover it. ;)
You can pay the difference for the Tesla and then get reimbursed from the perps when you settle. At least that’s what an attorney I saw today told me (umbrella polity or not).

You can pay the difference for the Tesla and then get reimbursed from the perps when you settle. At least that’s what an attorney I saw today told me (umbrella polity or not).
Correct, that is what the California State Real Estate Commissioner Hotline told me too. The problem is you have to put your money upfront and then possibly sue in Small Claims Court to get it back. That process would probably take several months if not a year to resolve. I have found that the U.S. Court system to be a "crap shoot." So has my life-long attorney. I am getting too old to waste my time and money in Court with questionable outcome.

With regards to my personal claim on my car to be "made whole," I'm going to use a business concept called "satisficing" - it may not be the best outcome but it is a satisfactory outcome. I have accepted the perp's insurance company offer of a "luxury" rental car which will not be a Tesla, an "exotic" car (that still makes me laugh :D my $43K after credits and rebates model 3 is an exotic car!).

I'm sure there are instances when one can't do anything to keep from being whacked in the tail, but there are some things one can do to help keep people back and aware.

First thing I can think of is to come to a stop or a light.... gently. I drift in with regen, and I watch my rear view mirror to see what's coming at me. Then I stop a good car length back from the car ahead so I can dodge out if need be, but usually my car moving slowly is sufficient. AND I WATCH. If I'm first in line, I have no compunction against using the intersection for more space, and I watch that, too, to have a potential space spotted.

I figure they'll hit me if I let them, and I don't aim to let them. It's never happened to me yet (fingers crossed).

In addition to the logic you've pointed out of leaving yourself enough space to dodge out if necessary (if you can't see the bottom of the tires of the car in front of you then you are too close) the other reason to leave a bit of emergency escape room is that if you are rear-ended and you are too close you will likely hit the car in front of you and now instead of getting your bumper replaced you are looking at a whole lot more headache...

10X so if you are hit by an uninsured person.

The % of distracted drivers has exploded since the advent of the smart-phone and I've taken notice and adjusted my driving style appropriately. Assuming other drivers are idiots and looking for tells (approaching too fast, wandering in lane, approaching light too fast and might blow through it, etc.) has kept me from getting into accidents numerous times.

Sometimes though it becomes unavoidable.

While originally our estimate was for a bumper repair and repaint, my husband was informed he would be getting a new bumper. Don’t know if it came painted or not though. Not far from factory, so possibility repair was done under new policy.

As for the rental car Allstate told him for a MS he could get a “full size” vehicle.

Last edited: