Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Something fell into the rear floor vent: can't get it out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how to get into the rear floor vent? My daughter's lip gloss fell in and now we can hear it rolling around every time we accelerate or decelerate.

I know where it is, we saw it with an endoscope and you can hear it bounce if you slap the floor on the front passenger side.

View attachment 698912
I used the leaf blower method described here and it worked! My son’s AirPods went flying down the vent this morning. Used an endoscope and found them about a foot down the slope and under the front seat carpet. Could not reach with any utensils. Turned the rear vent air to high and placed the nozzle of my leaf blower in the driver’s side rear vent and voila! Out came the AirPods! Thanks so much for the great tip. Vent covers are coming from Amazon!

Reactions: laservet
I bought this. No tape, just snaps onto the vents:

• Informative
Reactions: JHCCAZ
I bought this. No tape, just snaps onto the vents:

I ordered a similar product before, but they didn't really fit the vent opening well and didn't stay on. So I ordered this one in hopes that it snaps on and holds better.

I note that they haven't updated the product description text, which implies that it still uses some adhesive - but based on their headline and your description, it sounds like that's no longer true.

They have started their Labor Day sale which is a substantial discount, even more so if you add other stuff to get the 20% off a $100 order.

I ordered a similar product before, but they didn't really fit the vent opening well and didn't stay on. So I ordered this one in hopes that it snaps on and holds better.

I note that they haven't updated the product description text, which implies that it still uses some adhesive - but based on their headline and your description, it sounds like that's no longer true.

They have started their Labor Day sale which is a substantial discount, even more so if you add other stuff to get the 20% off a $100 order.
I can confirm there is no adhesive. I'm taking delivery of my Y next week so we'll see the fitment of them then.

So I ended up using these vents and they should do the job, but the driver's side vent isn't deep enough to stick.

It should stay in place with the seat cabling on top of it and some duct tape that I used.
So speaking of duct tape, I used it to cover openings in the carpet. While things falling below the carpet aren't nearly as bad as things getting into the vents, it is still very annoying. The duct tape that I had actually sticks to the carpeting pretty well, but it's not great... Again, I think it should do the job.

Snapshot(3.jpg

Snapshot(4.jpg

20221102_191719.jpg

We got it!

- Parked on a slight slope so the rear was lower than the front to deal with the vent dip.
- We turned the air on full blast on the feet only.
- Then put a leaf blower into the drivers side rear vent and turned it on to create pressure towards the passenger vent.
- Then shook the vent to sort of "pop" the item up and over the dip in the vent.
- The air pressure blew it out.

Hope this can help someone else!
I know this is an old post but I just have to say THANK YOU for this. I’m super sensitive to noises and spent probably 5-10 hours trying to figure out how to get rid of the noise. I did the exact same thing you suggested and that damn skittle popped right out! My mental health offers it’s sincerest gratitude.

We got it!

- Parked on a slight slope so the rear was lower than the front to deal with the vent dip.
- Then put a leaf blower into the drivers side rear vent and turned it on to create pressure towards the passenger vent.
- Then shook the vent to sort of "pop" the item up and over the dip in the vent.

Although this is a very old thread,. I felt it nec essary to thankl sanchezdanj for his advice
We got it!

Thanks for the advice which worked first time in just two seconds! We also blocked the central rear vent to ensure all the reversed air went through the vent with the loose object. What idiot designs a feature like this on a prestige car? Unbelievable! Thanks to sanchezdanj and his ingenuity.

This grille cover can prevent items from running into the vent inside. We should cover it up when you get the car.