Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Something Fishy...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen many other instances of situations like this in the past. I think organized international criminals target online car sales. I think they may scam people out of deposits to hold.

I wish we had a better way to get these shut down... But it also feels like "whack a mole" where one gets shut down and two more pop up somewhere else.

Getting the sites shut off is only a temporary "band-aid". The groups behind all this ought to be put in jail so they stop doing this.

Link actually goes to this address http://www.edmunds.com.en-us.vehicl...a2ddb1f7e&ee=19cfe1fc18bbaf10067fd6fa2e671376

Robert <[email protected]>

cleardot.gif
Jul 2, 2018, 12:34 PM (1 day ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

It is still for sale and I'm willing to sell it for US $53.000. The car is registered on my name, it has 8,500 miles, the title is clear (VIN 5YJXCBE22GF004462- no lien, accident free) also it drives and runs great. It is located in Santa Monica, CA and I'm selling it because I'm not in US anymore. I live in UK with my family now.

Cheers
Rob

--------------------------

Yes, it's still under warranty.
The car(title included) is in Edmunds possession. They will ship the vehicle and transfer the ownership on my behalf. So for our both security and insurance that nothing will go wrong, our deal will be done under Edmunds surveillance:
http://www.edmunds.com.en-us.vehicle-usa.org/overview

Your payment will go directly to Edmunds, they will receive and secure your funds until you will receive and inspect the vehicle. You will have a 3 days inspection period. If you like it, you'll approve the payment, they will pay me and transfer the ownership, if not, you'll reject the vehicle. In this case Edmunds will refund your money and pick it up from you.

Where's Waldo?

Tesla Model X 2016
State: OH, Logan
ZIP code: 43138
VIN: 5YJXCBE22GF004462
Contact me for more details! TANSKY MOTORS INC IS A FAMILY OWNED BUSINESS THAT HAS BEEN IN OPERATION AT THIS LOCATION FOR 70 YEARS.PEOPLE LOVE OUR SMALL TOWN DEALERSHIP, AND THE EXCELLENT SERVICE THEY RECEIVE WHETHER IT BE BUYING A VEHICLE,OR COMING IN FOR SERVICE AT OUR SERVICE OR PARTS DEPARTMENT.WE DON'T PLAY GAMES,JUST STRAIGHT FORWARD,AND FAIR PRICES!

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/37305347
2016 Tesla Model X 90D90D AWD 4dr SUV
$58,000 SOLD
Indy Motors WEST
Indianapolis, IN

Tesla Model X 90d Silver - Low Milage - Mint Condition - Lots Of Upgrades - Used Tesla Model X for sale in Naples, Florida | autoquid.com
SellerID: gadgettry
VIN#: 5YJXCBE22GF004462

https://carsdesk.com/Used-2016-TESLA-MODEL-X-for-Sale-in-Fitchburg-MA-5YJXCBE22GF004462-29608785
VIN: 5YJXCBE22GF004462
Mileage: 6000
Color: SILVER
Body Style: Sport Utility
Transmission: Automatic
Engine Type: Electric
Drive Train: AWD
Fuel: ELECTRIC
Information about Dealer
USA Auto Service
91 Laurel St, Fitchburg, MA, 01420
(978) 716-2793

https://www.carstory.com/detail/2016-tesla-model_x-edgewood_wa-5YJXCBE22GF004462

From Edmunds:

Thank you for reaching out to Edmunds. What you have described to us is a known scam, employing fraudulent websites that were making use of our logo and name. Both those fake websites and their URLs (addresses) are designed to look similar to ours.

Edmunds is not, and has never been, a car broker or the operator of an escrow service.

Also, note that Edmunds only has vehicles for sale from dealerships on our website. We do not accept listings from private parties. However, in some instances, the perpetrators of this fraud pose as legitimate car dealers.

Please let us know the website on which you originally saw the car for sale. We recommend you reach out to that website to let them know about the scam.

We also recommend telling the purported seller that you know it is a scam and/or ending communication with them immediately. If you have already sent payment, you will need to reach out to your bank ASAP and see if it can stop the payment. You can learn more here.

The best thing you could do to help is spread the news! We published an article to help get the word out. If you don't mind, please read and share this article from the Associated Press, "Edmunds: How to avoid fraud when buying a car online".

This fraud is well-known to the authorities, but we encourage you to file a complaint about the fraudulent escrow website and vehicle offer with the following:

IC3 - FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center
Google Report Malicious Software
FTC Complaint Assistant

Thanks again for letting us know.

• Informative
Reactions: dogldogl
They have... And then two more pop up somewhere else. They can't keep up with it.

Also, for many of those sites, as long as the content provider is paying their hosting bills, the hosting company has dis-incentive to shut it down.

Last edited:
It's a good lesson to learn whenever something appears to be way too good to be true, then it almost certainly isn't! The very word "escrow" = "scam" in my book too! But someone will probably fall for it sooner or later while their brain is fogged up by the apparent bargain of the century. That's scamming 101 and will be an expensive lesson for someone to learn! These scammers will always exist while people are willing to take a punt on an apparent bargain.