Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sony Bravia XR X90L

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

enemji

Dec 12, 2021
USA
So I just recently purchased the Sony Bravia XR X90L 65” TV. I realized the picture is good but this is beyond the Samsung and LG I have had in the past. This does not even feel like LCD. I took a picture and I cannot even see the pixels.

IMG_7849.jpeg
IMG_7844.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
So I just recently purchased the Sony Bravia XR X90L 65” TV. I realized the picture is good but this is beyond the Samsung and LG I have had in the past. This does not even feel like LCD. I took a picture and I cannot even see the pixels.

View attachment 986383View attachment 986384
I did the same Samsung, to 4k Sona Bravia upgrade in our bedroom a couple of years ago. Created a problem for us, we no longer watched movies in the den, the bedroom TV looked so much better.

Couldn't afford it at the time, but I was forced to upgrade the den TV and sound system to a 4K Bravia also.

The only good part, I now have a 60" Samsung in my hangar.

Last edited:
Reactions: enemji
I did the same Samsung to 4k Sona Bravia upgrade in our bedroom a couple of years ago. Created a problem for us, we no longer watched movies in the den, the bedroom TV looked so much better.

Couldn't afford it at the time, but I was forced to upgrade the den TV and sound system to a 4K Bravia also.

The only good part, I now have a 60" Samsung in my hangar.
Hahaha I am in the same boat. Just ordered another 85” for the Master Bedroom.

Watching Maverick on this TV and finally I could tell Tom Cruise is getting old.

IMG_7853.jpeg

Reactions: fholbert
I get what you are saying, OP, and the TV I have in my main TV watching room is a 85inch Sony 8k TV, so I do like the brand... but saying that, both LG and Samsung make an entire range of TVs.

The one you are talking about (this sony) I think is a full array LED TV, and It does have a good picture, but an LG OLED TV would likely look better (even to your naked eyes), most likely, and definitely if you were watching 4k blue ray content from a blue ray player or something.

I am a bit of a home theater enthusiast so I am kind of into this type of thing, lol.

I get what you are saying, OP, and the TV I have in my main TV watching room is a 85inch Sony 8k TV, so I do like the brand... but saying that, both LG and Samsung make an entire range of TVs.

The one you are talking about (this sony) I think is a full array LED TV, and It does have a good picture, but an LG OLED TV would likely look better (even to your naked eyes), most likely, and definitely if you were watching 4k blue ray content from a blue ray player or something.

I am a bit of a home theater enthusiast so I am kind of into this type of thing, lol.
Do you have the Sony mini-LED 8K?

I too am an enthusiast and I will tell you that I have seen full arrays of Samsung and LG both. They are all equivalent as long as they are showing landscape and graphics. That is where I was tricked all along. The difference I picked up is in how Sony XR processes it for subject matter, especially human subjects, and that is why I posted pictures of humans above.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Mine is an XBR - 85Z9G. I bought this one to replace a Samsung, like you mention. I moved the samsung to a spare bedroom. I didnt buy an OLED because I play lots of video games (although I am familiar with how to prevent screen burn in, having had a couple different plasma TVs for many years), and I wanted this size.

I couldnt afford the super large OLEDs, and this was the best TV I could find in this size when I got it, in 2020. It definitely has picture quality that rivals the plasmas I had, although the off angle viewing isnt quite as good as those were (but nothing really is, lol).

I have it paired with a 7.2.6 (2 subs, 6 ceiling mounted speakers) speaker system. I still buy and watch movies on a 4k blue ray player (an oppo), lol. Picture quality of streaming has gotten pretty darn good, but the audio is never as good as on a physical disc.

Anyway, I do think That on higher end Sony TVs, they do a better job of picture quality than most samsung and LGs (but OLED TVs are no joke, most of them are incredible).

(I provided some extra detail since you said you are also into this stuff).

Last edited:
Mine is an XBR - 85Z9G. I bought this one to replace a Samsung, like you mention. I moved the samsung to a spare bedroom. I didnt buy an OLED because I play lots of video games (although I am familiar with how to prevent screen burn in, having had a couple different plasma TVs for many years), and I wanted this size.

I couldnt afford the super large OLEDs, and this was the best TV I could find in this size when I got it, in 2020. It definitely has picture quality that rivals the plasmas I had, although the off angle viewing isnt quite as good as those were (but nothing really is, lol).

I have it paired with a 7.2.6 (2 subs, 6 ceiling mounted speakers) speaker system. I still buy and watch movies on a 4k blue ray player (an oppo), lol. Picture quality of streaming has gotten pretty darn good, but the audio is never as good as on a physical disc.

Anyway, I do think That on higher end Sony TVs, they do a better job of picture quality than most samsung and LGs (but OLED TVs are no joke, most of them are incredible).

(I provided some extra detail since you said you are also into this stuff).
Ahhhh Good details here. Almost feels like the AVSForums ;)

I now have the SONY 85X90L and it is just amazing. For a while I was thinking that the larger screen might make it bit worse than the 65” but SONY has done a master job in the LED array and the color science. It feels like I am watching real scenes and people in front of me. Unbelievable.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Almost feels like the AVSForums ;)

I was a heavy lurker on AVSForums. I never even created an account there, but whenever I am looking at purchasing some piece of AV equipment, I check there. It has the inherent "forum" issues that always exist anywhere, which is the fact that people tend to complain about stuff, but there is a lot of good stuff there, if one is adept at weeding through forums for the information they are looking for.

The skin tones in your pictures look pretty darn good, especially accounting for all the conversions that have happened between you taking the picture, getting it on your computer, and posting it here.

I was a heavy lurker on AVSForums. I never even created an account there, but whenever I am looking at purchasing some piece of AV equipment, I check there. It has the inherent "forum" issues that always exist anywhere, which is the fact that people tend to complain about stuff, but there is a lot of good stuff there, if one is adept at weeding through forums for the information they are looking for.

The skin tones in your pictures look pretty darn good, especially accounting for all the conversions that have happened between you taking the picture, getting it on your computer, and posting it here.
Your observations are damned right on. It is even better in person with the human eye. This processing from a camera capture is close though, but in person it is just unbelievable. As I mentioned, it pulls me right into the scene, and the feeling is I am watching them live standing right there with them.

Over the Christmas holidays I had a friend visiting. We saw a few movies and TV serials on the X85 and he commented that I have an excellent OLED TV and is amazingly better than his TV. I had to let him know that this is not an OLED but a LED TV. He was stunned. By the way, he has a Samsung 8K 98” TV at home.

The picture below is from “The Americans” Season1 Episode 5 which was shot in 2013 so probably 720p or 1080p recording. But even then look at the resolution. You can even see the soft hair under the chin.

IMG_8371.jpeg

Last edited: