Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Specific question about 2022 MYP & Xpel window tint!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there is a lot of discussion about tint but I’m hoping this new post will be allowed to live for awhile because I have a very specific question.

Does anyone have any experience with a 2022 Model Y Performance (the more recently built the better) and Xpel XR Plus window tint? I’m trying to match the privacy glass darkness on the rear windows.

I plan to do XR Plus 70 (66% VLT) on the rears to get the heat rejection but not darken them up much more than they already are and XR Plus 20 (18% VLT) on the front side windows. Just wanted to see if anyone had close to that with Xpel and if it matches well.

I know different brands have different amount of visible light they allow through even if they’re all called “20%” tint etc so that’s why I’m looking for specific feedback on Xpel.

I’m also looking for specific feedback on the 2022 because I could swear the rear privacy glass is a little lighter than what my early 2020 Model Y had… but maybe I’m just crazy

Considering mine didn’t have any issues with mine, no they don’t ;)

But they do know the laws if you ask them to just stay legal.
FWIW, I had my tint done on Wednesday. Xpel XR Black 70 windshield, rear windows, and hatch glass. Front windows 30. The installer/owner said XR Plus has a blue tinge. She wanted me to do 20 on the fronts to match the rears. Since I have the white interior I went to 30 even though the limit is 35 in MD. Windshield tint not legal either. I am pleased with the mix.

FWIW, I had my tint done on Wednesday. Xpel XR Black 70 windshield, rear windows, and hatch glass. Front windows 30. The installer/owner said XR Plus has a blue tinge. She wanted me to do 20 on the fronts to match the rears. Since I have the white interior I went to 30 even though the limit is 35 in MD. Windshield tint not legal either. I am pleased with the mix.
I’ve had XR Plus before and have been pretty happy, just want to match those rear windows. Last thing I want is the 20% up front to look darker than the rear 🤣

Honestly speaking, it’s hard for a consumer to match color and tint a lot of times. I just went to my Xpel installer and said “do what you do best” and told them that as I get older, I can’t see through really dark tints that well at night. They are currently doing the install and using XR Plus for everything except the roof which will be XR Black. It’s one of those times when you need to trust the installer and have a good relationship with them.

On my MY SR I did:

70% XR on the rear windows, rear glass
20% XR on the front windows
70% XR Plus front windshield

I had it for a month and I always felt like I could’ve gone darker. The front windows still looked SLIGHTLY lighter than the rear windows

On my MYP next week I’m going to do 15% front, 50% rear windows, rear glass and front windshield 😁

On my MY SR I did:

I had it for a month and I always felt like I could’ve gone darker. The front windows still looked SLIGHTLY lighter than the rear windows

On my MYP next week I’m going to do 15% front, 50% rear windows, rear glass and front windshield 😁
Perfect! That’s what I want. I don’t mind the front being slightly lighter. 20 is already darker than my state allows, but with the white interior and hopefully not driving like a jerk will keep me out of trouble with the police 😬

On my MY SR I did:

Did you end up getting this done on your MYP? I have been planning to go with this exact same setup (15% fronts, 50% rest) in XR on my MYP in a couple weeks, would be awesome if you had any pics of this setup to share :D

The rear and back seat windows come stock with a 25% "tint", while the roof glass is at 5% "tint". If you put 70% xpel tint over a 25% tint, the resulting % will be 0.70 x 25% = 17.5%. So 20% tint on the front side windows should be a close match.

Honestly speaking, it’s hard for a consumer to match color and tint a lot of times. I just went to my Xpel installer and said “do what you do best” and told them that as I get older, I can’t see through really dark tints that well at night. They are currently doing the install and using XR Plus for everything except the roof which will be XR Black. It’s one of those times when you need to trust the installer and have a good relationship with them.
I am also “older” and don’t see through dark tint at night, would you post what levels you end up with?

Did you end up getting this done on your MYP? I have been planning to go with this exact same setup (15% fronts, 50% rest) in XR on my MYP in a couple weeks, would be awesome if you had any pics of this setup to share :D

So in the end, I ended up doing 15% front, 45% rear windows, rear windshield, front windshield. It’s definitely… dark but looks freakin awesome.

Reactions: mdsco
I have xpel 30 in front and 70 in the rear. Xpel 30 world be illegal in my state. Looks good enough for me.

Attachments

• PXL_20220910_142336509.jpg
    PXL_20220910_142336509.jpg
    653.5 KB · Views: 941