Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound system lost it's "punch" after latest update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another theory: Something changed with a library that Tesla uses that they don't control.
At one point I heard someone mention "getting a media player update" to pick up bug fixes.
I think Tesla uses 3rd party "freeware"/"open source" software in some cases to build their system.
Maybe they updated libraries to get bug fixes, and the new one does something different with the decoding that affects the sound playback in the car?
Those non-Tesla developers are probably working to goals and use cases that aren't specific to Tesla and could have some side effects in how things work in the car.
For instance, if Tesla had tuned their DSPs, EQs and such to work best with how the "old media player used to work."
If so, are the original audio engineers still there to figure out how to re-optimize for new media playback characteristics?
Are they still working on Model 3 as an audio project, or moved on to something else?
Is there DSP software in the amplifier module that can be updated by OTA?

Live software updates can be a bit "double edged" sometimes. As we have seen it can sometimes be "two steps forward, and one step back."
I do appreciate all the bug fixes and little improvements (and silly features) that my car has received since I first got it.
So, those improvements help obviate the level of concern I have over the sound system seeming to degrade a bit.

Or maybe I have no idea what I am talking about.

I just updated to 50.6 and tested the loss of bass issue by listening while fading front to back. Unfortunately my issue has not been fixed. As I've mentioned earlier in this thread I have never regained the full rear bass volume since I lost it. In other words, my issue has not been intermittent. So I could have a different problem (i.e. hardware) than others posting here so YMMV.

A few days ago, I had my slacker up pretty loud and it sounded great. Funny thing was, when the heavy bass was hitting, my auto wipers went on periodically. I just thought it was funny, small glitch. But today I was messing with equalizer because I thought it was sounding bland.
Then tonight I found this thread.
I was 50.5. updating to next right now.....

Just did the .6 update last night and there is, without a doubt, a huge improvement.

I wouldn't be surprised if it drops off again but I had to have volume at 80% normally and now 50% is almost too high. And the driver door armrest vibrates again. For now I'm happy.
Louder <> Subwoofer fixed. Have you tried fading front to back to see if the bass level drops off?

Well, I took matters into my own hands, and installed a free-air subwoofer in the trunk:

freesub1.png

I like the way this sounds better. I get more bass with the seat backs up again. I also don't have to crank up the bass EQ to make it sound punchy.
And when I fade front to rear, it doesn't seem like it drops off into a dead zone in the rear anymore.

I don't have 50.6 yet. Not sure what effect that may have on my new sub.

Reactions: zhu- and android04
subplate.png

It is a dual 4-ohm voice coil sub so I was able to power it directly from the stock amp.

I ended up liking the sound better with the phasing flipped after I tried it both stock and flipped.

I tend to prefer a free-air sub over a tuned port sub (like the stock one) because (to me) the free air seems to represent a range of frequencies better, and the tuned port turns certain frequencies into "thumps". The stock tuned port can make some songs sounder punchier than normal, but I find it makes some really low notes on a bass guitar start to sound like a drum instead.

Last edited:
Using an iPhone microphone to demonstrate bass in a car sound system is not a very good way to go, but that was all I had handy, so here a couple of clips demonstrating the new subwoofer in action:

( Well, iPhone mic doesn't capture it that well... Sounds a lot better in person in the car ! )

Last edited:
I’ve driven around a bunch since getting 2018.50.6 two days ago and I do think I hear a difference. I’ll need to give it a few more days for final judgement but I’m happy with the bass level from the sub so far.

There are a lot of variables and things going on here. Some end up bordering on "unintentional FUD".

When you open the driver's door, the sound of the whole system will reduce. When you close the door it won't go back up unless you are already sitting in the driver's seat.

So, someone could do the following:
#1: Tune audio so it is loud from the drivers seat.
#2: Get out, go to back of car and lay down or sit next to subwoofer to listen. Find that it isn't outputting much.
#3: Go back to front door and close it hoping to make volume go back up. Return to open trunk to listen again. Still find it weak back there.

Not saying that you got hit by this "feature", but do be mindful that driver needs to be in driver's seat for volume to stay at the same level.
Note, you could open the passenger door, and adjust the volume back up before going to the back to check it...

Also, don't close all the doors or the car will shut down...

Another data point - are we comparing sub-bass or mid-bass? The front door speakers put out the bulk of the mid-bass. The subwoofer in back is more for sub-bass (like ~30-50hz ). So one really needs to have some sub-bass heavy music playing to expect the subwoofer to be outputting much. From my recollection, it seems like the rear used to be putting out more mid-bass, but not so much anymore. Another theory: did they change the EQ on the subwoofer so it has a lower crossover frequency?
When different people compare/critique the output from the rear, it is important to make sure we are playing similar frequencies through the audio system to see which speakers are playing the sounds.

I had a passenger door open. Yea I know the audio drops when getting out. I wish party mode was included but not yet.

When I was installing an aftermarket sub, and went to unplug the stock sub wire, I noticed that the plug going into the stock sub enclosure wasn't clicked all the way in place. Perhaps some people with weak bass might have only one voicecoil working due to the plug wiggling partially loose.

If you are sure your bass is really weak, and you have tried everything else, you might want to open that side cover and just give a firm push on the 4 wires going into the side of the subwoofer box. See if it is pushed all the way in. If you feel a "click" when pushing it in, then it wasn't all the way in before.

Last edited:
Reactions: android04
After a few more days, I can say there definitely is an improvement on 50.6. I can't compare to how it used to be since I got the car on v42 or 44 and already had the audio issue but it now sounds noticeably fully with more bass.