Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound system lost it's "punch" after latest update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The system went from sounding like weak AM to its full self. Too see if you have the problem all you have to do is move your balance all the way to the rear and see if it sounds like it is in a tin can. If so, do the reboot instructions and then it will be back to full immersion!!

Thanks, it fixed it with only the longest 2 minutes I have spent in a long time....

Test with Knife Party - Boss Mode

Reactions: kbecks13
I did the full shutdown and may have a very slight improvement in the rear. still nowhere near as powerful as the front and it appears that most of the bass is coming from the front speakers. I'm still tempted to dig into where the sub is in the trunk this weekend and see how adjusting the balance impacts the sub hitting.

The first time I tried the reset (going by memory) I did not let up on the steering wheel knobs between step one and two -- essentially just applied the brake after the T appeared. I went and printed the directions and the second time I did the knob reset then released when the screen went black. Then when the T appeared did the break plus knob reset.

You really dont need to mess with the
Well that was short lived. The car has gone back to bad tin can performance in the rear. Does it require a reboot every day? Something is gumming up the works and spending 3 minutes waiting on a reboot every day is not a good solution.
the issue that most of us are having isn’t isolated to front middle or rear, not does it require any diagnosis, it just sounds bad. I wonder if you have a different issue as yours seems to improve after rebooting. On mine, it doesn’t matter what phase balance or sound setting you have, it always sounds like an alarm clock.

Well that was short lived. The car has gone back to bad tin can performance in the rear. Does it require a reboot every day? Something is gumming up the works and spending 3 minutes waiting on a reboot every day is not a good solution.

I think mine may have reverted as well. This morning when I was leaving my house I encountered a separate bug where there was absolutely no audio at all; not even the turn indicator sound would play. I had encountered this same bug just a few days earlier and steering wheel button reboots did not fix it but exiting the car and closing the door just for a few seconds and going back in restored the sound. However when the sound came back it appears that the bass has reverted back to the low levels that it was at previously, before I performed a full reset and then power cycle. I'll try the power cycle "fix" again after work to see if that restores things but I'm beginning to wonder if the bug I've encountered two times now may be related to the loss of bass.

I posted this fix from customer support.....however, it seems to have reverted as others are reporting here today. Pulling the balance to the back is extremely obvious....weakness. I'm on hold for customer support again......if nothing else, they will be aware there is a sound quality issue with this last update. (44.2 for me)

Reactions: stayfocus18
I posted this fix from customer support.....however, it seems to have reverted as others are reporting here today. Pulling the balance to the back is extremely obvious....weakness. I'm on hold for customer support again......if nothing else, they will be aware there is a sound quality issue with this last update. (44.2 for me)

Updated: I notified the team of this string (we are not alone).....the issue is being escalated.

I've got a new one, after resetting the car like people suggested here the bass sounds slightly more full but still not the same as it was weeks ago. Now I get every speaker shutting off except the front left randomly during a song for like a millisecond or two. This happens every 3/4 songs or so and is random (tried replaying the same song and it didn't happen). This has happened to streaming music, my phone and now my usb key earlier today. Pretty frustrating!!!

I listened to the car's streaming music for the first time since I got the car and it sounds much bassier and fuller than through my phone's Spotify even though the bitrate is a quarter of what it is from Spotify. Has anyone noticed this as well?

I listened to the car's streaming music for the first time since I got the car and it sounds much bassier and fuller than through my phone's Spotify even though the bitrate is a quarter of what it is from Spotify. Has anyone noticed this as well?

I'm pretty picky about my music. But the streaming sounds pretty darn good to my ears.

I always tend to avoid streaming over bluetooth because you're taking a double hit on compression loss.

It's lossy compressed at the server, decompressed by the phone and then re (lossy) compressed for bluetooth and then decoded by the radio.

When you stream direct on the radio you are skipping a lossy compression step.

Now if you're doing car play/android auto or USB connection to the radio (i.e. wired) you can avoid that bluetooth lossy compression step.