Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sound while accelerating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been driving the Model 3 for about 1.5 yrs. I have recently experienced a humming sound while accelerating the car that is akin to the engines revving up before airplanes start the takeoff on a runway; the sound is way lower but is irritating. At higher speeds, I don't hear it but that could also be due to wind and road noise suppressing it. I wonder if anyone else has seen it too.

Do you hear the sound all of the time or only under certain circumstances? For example, I hear a similar sound in my dual motor 3 when it is preconditioning for supercharging. The sound is most noticeable when I'm driving at a very slow speed and there isn't much road/wind noise.

Upvote 0
I have been driving the Model 3 for about 1.5 yrs. I have recently experienced a humming sound while accelerating the car that is akin to the engines revving up before airplanes start the takeoff on a runway; the sound is way lower but is irritating. At higher speeds, I don't hear it but that could also be due to wind and road noise suppressing it. I wonder if anyone else has seen it too.
I'd read this thread to see if it helps: High pitched noise from drive unit

Upvote 0
I have a 2021 SR+ and the pedestrian warning system (PWS) sounds like a jet engine when driving forward at low speeds and like a UFO when reversing. The sounds come from speaker grills underneath the front and rear bumpers. You can search it up on Youtube for examples.
Yes, I totally forgot to ask about the PWS. I've heard the PWS sounds since day 1 in my car so I'm accustomed to it, but perhaps that is what the OP is hearing.

Upvote 0
If the OP has been driving their model 3 for 1.5 years, I dont think model 3s that old have PWS speakers in them (but I admit freely that I dont know the cutoff dates). My own model 3 from Dec of 2018 does not have one.

1.5 years sounds like a car delivered in near the end of 2019 or so.

Upvote 0
If the OP has been driving their model 3 for 1.5 years, I dont think model 3s that old have PWS speakers in them (but I admit freely that I dont know the cutoff dates). My own model 3 from Dec of 2018 does not have one.

1.5 years sounds like a car delivered in near the end of 2019 or so.
Yes, that may be the case. My 2020 M3 was delivered in March 2020, and it has the PWS. Perhaps deliveries in late 2019 didn't have PWS speakers.

Upvote 0