Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Humming noise while turning left/right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, I’m 2020 model x owner :)

After changing front half shaft, I could hear humming noise with the steering wheel turned all (or almost all) the way and start to accelerate (at a lower speed). Tesla said it’s normal characteristic of raven drive unit with new revision front half shaft, but still sounds strange to me. Anyone have similar issue?

Reactions: DavidNYC
Just saw this thread a day after posting mine!

I have the exact same noise on my 2020 Model X Performance when making moderately sharp turns and accelerating out of it at low speeds.

I also had Tesla service inspect the front suspension due to creaking noises and they had indicated nothing was out of spec.

I'm a bit suspicious as well because I've heard of various service centers using any excuse to get out of warranty related Model X suspension issues.

I'll likely get this inspected again before my warranty is up in late 2024.

Reactions: DavidNYC
Just saw this thread a day after posting mine!

I have the exact same noise on my 2020 Model X Performance when making moderately sharp turns and accelerating out of it at low speeds.

I also had Tesla service inspect the front suspension due to creaking noises and they had indicated nothing was out of spec.

I'm a bit suspicious as well because I've heard of various service centers using any excuse to get out of warranty related Model X suspension issues.

I'll likely get this inspected again before my warranty is up in late 2024.
Could you update what Tesla says about the noise after your service appointment? They said it’s related to Raven drive unit + new revision half shaft combination issue, so not likely the suspension issue, but want to hear whether they say about the same root cause :)

Same issue 2020 Model x. Several trips to service center and they could not duplicate supposedly. Now out of warranty (by 500 miles) and so I guess I will have to deal with it because a new drive unit sounds like a $3-5k job.

If you are only hearing the noise at the extreme ends of steering wheel travel, you’re probably hearing the power steering pump, which is strained most when steering to extreme left and right angles. This is normal and you’ll hear it on all kinds of cars. Here’s a bunch of Lexus owners talking about the same thing for example:

WTF is the noise when you turn steering wheel all the way?

If you’re hearing it even when turning the steering wheel slightly left or right AND it seems unusually loud, it could be something different, like air in the power steering fluid or low fluid levels. If turning slightly left or right and there’s a barely perceptible noise (like someone scraping their fingernails on a piece of soft textured vinyl) then it’s probably normal.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
If you are only hearing the noise at the extreme ends of steering wheel travel, you’re probably hearing the power steering pump, which is strained most when steering to extreme left and right angles. This is normal and you’ll hear it on all kinds of cars. Here’s a bunch of Lexus owners talking about the same thing for example:

WTF is the noise when you turn steering wheel all the way?

If you’re hearing it even when turning the steering wheel slightly left or right AND it seems unusually loud, it could be something different, like air in the power steering fluid or low fluid levels. If turning slightly left or right and there’s a barely perceptible noise (like someone scraping their fingernails on a piece of soft textured vinyl) then it’s probably normal.
Teslas don't have a power steering pump.

Teslas don't have a power steering pump.
Ok, well then it's definitely not that then!

I looked it up. From Recurrent:

"Power Steering Fluid​

Automobiles have come a long way since rack and pinion steering. Most EV’s as well as ICE cars now come with an electric power steering system as opposed to the hydraulic system. The electric system is not complicated, and as a matter of fact is so simple that it eliminates the need for belts, pulleys, tubes, and fluid. Since the steering system is controlled electronically, there is no fluid to change or check and no moving parts to replace. If you’re old enough to remember having to change the power steering pump when it began to leak fluid – well, there is no more of that."

I never knew this! OK, I retract my suggestion then :).
1697551090992.png