Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Source VIN vs. Actual VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a few questions. I just found my source VIN. Is my source VIN 100% going to be my actual VIN?

Also, after having your VIN populate on the source view, how long does it take for your actual VIN to appear on the Management / Overview page on the official website?

I have a few questions. I just found my source VIN. Is my source VIN 100% going to be my actual VIN?

Also, after having your VIN populate on the source view, how long does it take for your actual VIN to appear on the Management / Overview page on the official website?

I got my VIN a week ago in source. Still isn't on the website though.

99% going to be your VIN. I've seen people get different VINs because the VIN they were assigned was sold to somebody else.

• Helpful
Reactions: jayk82 and trisk

almost certainly but there were couple owners who jumped gun, did their paperwork with a source VIN only to find out their actual VIN was different. So it could happen.

My VIN appeared in source on the 1st, and I got a text to schedule delivery on the 2nd. Delivery is on the 18th. My VIN still hasn't appeared on my Manage page, but I got a screenshot with it from my SA and it's in the MVPA.

I needed it to get my 3rd party loan going, so I used it -- I figure if it changes, I'll just let them know.

• Helpful
Reactions: Tomx17
On the thread topic, to me its pretty simple....

Tesla never "intended" people to be "digging through browser source code" to get their vin. Its likely it wont change, but there is no recourse if it does. If a SA gives it to you, its different, but "digging through the source code to get a vin" should be viewed as just checking how far along you are in the process, not the vin being "gospel".

Its the car tesla has internally assigned to you, but that doesnt mean it wont change. Plan accordingly.

On the thread topic, to me its pretty simple....

Tesla never "intended" people to be "digging through browser source code" to get their vin. Its likely it wont change, but there is no recourse if it does. If a SA gives it to you, its different, but "digging through the source code to get a vin" should be viewed as just checking how far along you are in the process, not the vin being "gospel".

Its the car tesla has internally assigned to you, but that doesnt mean it wont change. Plan accordingly.

Got mine from my SA a week ago still haven't heard anything about delivery and haven't had a single email response since.

Got mine from my SA a week ago still haven't heard anything about delivery and haven't had a single email response since.

Unfortunately thats pretty normal as far as tesla goes. It may not show up until less than 7 days before your delivery date in your account.. AND tesla will "tell" you when your delivery appointment is, not ask... thats also unfortunately the way they operate for this stuff.