Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - Block 5 - Telstar 19V - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: July 22, Sunday
Launch Window: 0550-0950 GMT (1:50-5:50 a.m. EDT)
Launch site: SLC-40
Booster Recovery: ASDS on OCISLY
Booster Type: B1047 - Block 5
Orbit: GTO

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the Telstar 19 VANTAGE communications satellite for Telesat. The Telstar 19 VANTAGE satellite will provide high-throughput Ku-band and Ka-band communications services, supporting broadband applications over South America, the Caribbean, the North Atlantic and Canada. The satellite was built SSL. The weight/mass has not been announced yet. It is likely to be on the heavy side. Anywhere from 4500 kg to 6000+ kg.

Edit: We now know this will be the heaviest GTO satellite ever launched at 7075 kg.

Telstar 19V (Telstar 19 Vantage)
https://www.telesat.com/sites/www.t...s/news/telesat_orders_t19v_from_ssl_final.pdf
Chris B - NSF on Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
New block 5 core I take it?

Yes. Second Block 5 core. The third block 5 was just spotted by our Tesla Forum member nwdiver.

Just saw a Falcon 9 passing through Jal, NM!!

Other notable B5 events coming up are:

B1051 being used for the Commercial Crew Demo #1
The In Flight Abort will be done with a reused Block 5 for its third reuse. This may be the very first third launch using the same booster.
The next two Iridium launches will use new Block 5s. Those will probably be B1048 and B1049.

The one remaining Block 4 booster after the one being launched for CRS-15 has been unofficially labelled as fire (post landing RP-1 leakage) damaged and will likely never be reused.

When is this proposed to takeoff, Grendal?
The In Flight Abort demo should fly sometime after SpX-DM1, the uncrewed flight test of Crew Dragon. I believe they want to reuse the DM1 Crew Dragon for the IFA demo flight. I've read August and September dates for DM1, so late 2018 is a reasonable guess for the IFA demo. If DM1 and the IFA demo go well, I believe they are still aiming to fly the crewed flight test (SpX-DM2) before the end of the year.

SpaceX makes progress toward Commercial Crew debut – NASASpaceFlight.com

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal
The six week period beginning with 7/22 Telstar launch may be the most active launch period for SpaceX
yet. Four launches with dates and two more listed as TBD for August. Given normal launch postponements,
we may see three or four launches. However there is an outside chance there could be 6 launches in six weeks!
That would be an amazing accomplishment.

Reactions: Grendal and e-FTW
Last edited:
Missed the launch by a minute or two so will rewatch that later but nice to see separation, fairings released, and Stage 1 land back on the pad.

AF033B51-645E-4D79-8677-097AD164A1E5.png

DC715CB6-E4DA-4538-99D8-2AA900A3EEBE.png

41AD0C13-744E-4010-876A-D68B3AE8D358.png

996398E1-6F77-4B99-B10E-595D1C017421.png

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo and Grendal
Anyone other than us Grendal up watching it? Not bad here at 10:50pm PDT but later east of me. I had gone to SpaceX site earlier in evening and they said site would go live at 10:50 so set an alarm only to find out it must have taken off around then or before. Kind of thought I would be tuning in to pre-launch coverage at 10:50. Glad to see things going well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grendal