Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - GPS III-1 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Launch Date: December 23, Sunday
Launch Window: 1351 GMT (8:51 a.m. EST)
Launch Site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida
Booster Recovery: None - Expendable
Booster Type: B1054 - Block 5 - New
Mass: 3,880 kg (8,553 lb)
Orbit: GEO

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the U.S. Air Force’s first third-generation navigation satellite for the Global Positioning System. Delayed from May 3 and late 2017. Switched from a United Launch Alliance Delta 4 rocket. The second GPS 3-series satellite will now launch on a Delta 4.

GPS Block IIIA - Wikipedia
GPS-3 (Navstar-3)

Surprisingly, even though this is a fairly light satellite, SpaceX will be expending the booster core for this launch. Likely due to SpaceX working with the Air Force to get an advantageous orbit. There is a lengthy discussion about the F9 flight profile and why it is being expended here:
SpaceX Falcon 9 : GPS III-1 : SLC-40 : December 15, 2018

If the schedule holds then this should be the 21st launch of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Brando and mongo
I was shocked. I suppose SpaceX is trying to seriously impress the Air Force. There are nine of these satellites in the initial run and many more to come after that. So impressing the military on this first one could generate a lot more launches in the future. SpaceX has four more GPS-III satellites that the military has given them launches on so far. There are four more still available.

I was shocked. I suppose SpaceX is trying to seriously impress the Air Force. There are nine of these satellites in the initial run and many more to come after that. So impressing the military on this first one could generate a lot more launches in the future. SpaceX has four more GPS-III satellites that the military has given them launches on so far. There are four more still available.

I wonder what's cheaper... tossing a brand new block 5 or reusing a FH.

From the Los Angeles Air Force Base, Home of Space and Missile Systems Center:
GPS III SV01, also known as “Vespucci,” in honor of Amerigo Vespucci, the Italian explorer for whom the Americas were named, is now ready to be rolled out to Space Launch Complex-40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, where it will be mated with a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket. It is scheduled for launch on Dec. 18. (photo courtesy Lockheed Martin)

48270314_2217144044982964_4231073507078832128_n.jpg

Reactions: e-FTW
Air Force open to reusable rockets, but SpaceX must first demonstrate performance - SpaceNews.com — SpaceNews

A good quote from this one:
SMC officials said they would wait and see how pre-flown first stages performed in commercial launches before they decide if they are suitable for national security missions. Gen. John Raymond, commander of Air Force Space Command, told Bloomberg News in October 2017 that the Air Force would be “absolutely foolish” not to utilize SpaceX’s reused rockets in order to take advantage of the cost savings.

Also, all this talk about performance has me wondering if we will eventually see data about how boosters “age”, and what kind of performance drop-off they might have.

Air Force open to reusable rockets, but SpaceX must first demonstrate performance - SpaceNews.com — SpaceNews

A good quote from this one:

Also, all this talk about performance has me wondering if we will eventually see data about how boosters “age”, and what kind of performance drop-off they might have.

What wear parts are there? Turbopump blades Possibly the pintle valve/ injection ports. Maybe buildup in the cooling tubes for the nozzle. Seems like most things would be more work/fail as opposed to degraded performance and those things would be checked and replaced/ cleaned if needed.