Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX F9 - PSN 6 & SpaceIL Lunar Lander - SLC-4E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And a few more....

5BC3A105-ABF1-4E57-8E10-BA3896433039.png

3C0FACFD-27E9-4B94-AD37-20BBA0C7A999.png

B5329B4A-7282-4704-821D-6E8F8DF435A6.png

F7F5F60D-0F5F-4B0D-A213-C5DBCC8DD4AB.png

The spokesperson said that landing was their most difficult drone ship landing so far. Guessing due to it being at night. That so was great to see and they didn’t lose video for long.

Waiting for Stage 2 burn and deployment. Everything nominal so far.

Elon Musk on Twitter
Thanks. So to me, “sparks” means “oxidation” meaning something is burning. I wonder what?

"Highest reentry heating to date. Burning metal sparks from base heat shield visible in landing video. Fourth relight scheduled for April."

This booster will be used for the In Flight Abort according to Elon.

And successful launch of the satellites. Nice night and congrats SpaceX. Two deployments and a drone ship landing. Quite the night. I wish the optics were better for the moon lander deployment but hopefully their mission will be successful and we’ll get images from it in the future if all goes well with the landing there.

867541E6-6685-45EA-BCFA-D58FC6198570.png

8389DAC6-5F5F-4FF8-831F-78F02B30839C.png

5C7C2864-8E8C-448A-A268-ADD7CEDD93CE.png

Elon Musk on Twitter

"Highest reentry heating to date. Burning metal sparks from base heat shield visible in landing video. Fourth relight scheduled for April."

This booster will be used for the In Flight Abort according to Elon.

I noticed those shooting out too and not something I had seen during the day landings. I captured a few grabs as Stage 1 was coming in for a landing but didn’t get any great captures of the “sparks”. Definitely go back through the video to see that.

Last edited:
Very likely to be destroyed in the In Flight Abort. B1047 will sacrifice itself for science!
How cool is that!

My understanding is that the in-flight abort is planned to occur during Max-Q, is that correct?

I wonder if part of the plan is to actually self-destruct the booster at the moment of the abort, or will they just ignite the Super Dracos and separate the capsule with the booster at full thrust?

And now I have veered off topic. Sorry.

Reactions: Grendal
How cool is that!

My understanding is that the in-flight abort is planned to occur during Max-Q, is that correct?

I wonder if part of the plan is to actually self-destruct the booster at the moment of the abort, or will they just ignite the Super Dracos and separate the capsule with the booster at full thrust?

And now I have veered off topic. Sorry.

Yes. IFA will happen at the most stressful moment of the launch. SpaceX is pulling no punches.

According to Elon's tweet, they expect the booster to be destroyed but it has a very very minor chance of surviving the abort. The self destruct may be used if the booster is obviously failing. There is no plan I am aware of to destroy the booster to initiate the abort. That would be an amazing thing to see but really unnecessary for the test.

Well Elon started it with his tweet. :)

Yes. IFA will happen at the most stressful moment of the launch. SpaceX is pulling no punches.

According to Elon's tweet, they expect the booster to be destroyed but it has a very very minor chance of surviving the abort. The self destruct may be used if the booster is obviously failing. There is no plan I am aware of to destroy the booster to initiate the abort. That would be an amazing thing to see but really unnecessary for the test.

Well Elon started it with his tweet. :)
Say it survives the abort, would it come in to land? THAT would be nutso and amazing.
Crew Dragon comes back after abort, while the booster goes back to the pad? :eek:

(And yes, I remember that 1047 was probably going to die in the abort test. But one can dream! Elon Musk on Twitter)

Reactions: Grendal
Say it survives the abort, would it come in to land? THAT would be nutso and amazing.
Crew Dragon comes back after abort, while the booster goes back to the pad? :eek:

(And yes, I remember that 1047 was probably going to die in the abort test. But one can dream! Elon Musk on Twitter)

The reality is that the booster will be fully fueled. So it will have vast amounts of fuel to burn after the abort happens. The booster will have some form of a second stage and maybe SpaceX will be allowed to modify it to lessen the aerodynamic impact of losing the interstage and Crew Dragon during the Max-Q abort. I could see them jettisoning the second stage and then maneuvering the booster in some fashion back to a RTLS or a nearby OCISLY. The fall back will always be to destroy the booster. I'm not too hopeful since the landing regime is so completely different from the normal pattern. Whatever landing algorithms they use would likely be useless in this situation even if the booster did manage to survive the abort. So I'm very excited to see what happens - even if it is a disintegrating RUD.

SpaceX has some luck. They have had two boosters survive a water landing!

Reactions: e-FTW
The reality is that the booster will be fully fueled. So it will have vast amounts of fuel to burn after the abort happens. The booster will have some form of a second stage and maybe SpaceX will be allowed to modify it to lessen the aerodynamic impact of losing the interstage and Crew Dragon during the Max-Q abort. I could see them jettisoning the second stage and then maneuvering the booster in some fashion back to a RTLS or a nearby OCISLY. The fall back will always be to destroy the booster. I'm not too hopeful since the landing regime is so completely different from the normal pattern. Whatever landing algorithms they use would likely be useless in this situation even if the booster did manage to survive the abort. So I'm very excited to see what happens - even if it is a disintegrating RUD.

SpaceX has some luck. They have had two boosters survive a water landing!
I imagine some intern being given free rein with programming this very unlikely to happen landing regime. I would totally take that job! Low expectations, low risk, high potential reward!
Go 1047, you can do it!

• Love
Reactions: AndreN and Grendal