Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT launch - EchoStar 23 - LC-39A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I despise Daylight Saving, too; it's ludicrous for Alaskans at the top of the year (always light regardless) and at the bottom of the year (always dark regardless).

So that's a nifty thing about choosing Arizona as our getaway state: they don't observe the switch!

Reactions: ohmman and nwdiver
The idiocy of DST time changing has to stop. Musk agrees.

17264340_961241527345956_281419400923817649_n.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Successful launch, Max Q, MECO, Separation, 2nd stage light, SECO -1, and we're in coast phase.

2nd burn successful, SECO - 2, final coast phase, and successful payload deploy...

A big win for SpaceX. Go SpaceX.

Next up, the very first reuse launch!!!

Last edited:
1st commercial satelite launch from LC-39 and they say the next launch will be a first from there as well. Before the end of March 2017 they plan to launch the 1st reused first stage.
That line in the hosted stream about Echostar 23 being the first commercial satellite launched from 39A kind of bugged me, since it's not true... not even close. Someone at SpaceX needs to read a little more history. As I recall, the shuttle program flew 10 missions that deployed 23 (24 over 11 missions, if counting INSAT-1B on STS-8) commercial satellites all from Pad 39A.

First commercial satellite, launched by a commercial rocket from 39A might be a bit more correct, but I admit I can sometimes be pedantic. ;)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Grendal
New Mexico (where Grendal's profile says he's from) and Mountain Time is West Coast, right?!
I hope you could see my implied sarcasm :)
Clearly I could not "see" that because I was simply reading the text you posted and you did not use any of the very useful visual aids available.

So, my apologies. Now I understand. And I definitely prefer to explore your beautiful state of Utah up close and on the ground as opposed to flying over it!

Fantastic launch! I love to hear the word "nominal" during a SpaceX launch. The next launch is going to be super exciting.
Successful launch, Max Q, MECO, Separation, 2nd stage light, SECO -1, and we're in coast phase.

2nd burn successful, SECO - 2, final coast phase, and successful payload deploy...

A big win for SpaceX. Go SpaceX.

Next up, the very first reuse launch!!!

Reactions: Grendal
Timezone switch screws with applications sometimes too. Newer software developers often make mistakes relating to not taking time zone shifts into account. This usually manifests in the form of storing important timestamps in local time resulting in anomalies around the time zone shifts, especially in the fall where event timestamps can end up out of order due to time zone information loss. At my work, we usually store all timestamps in GMT, but of course, it's extra work to constantly convert them back and forth between GMT and local time.

Congrats SpaceX on successful launch. Keep up the great work!

Reactions: Model 3
This photo was posted in the FB SpaceX group by John Kraus. Amazing time exposure (note how the stars are short streaks, not pinpoints of light) photo of the launch last night. Follow the arcing path of the rocket and you can see where MECO occurred (Main Engine Cut Off) where the path disappears, then continue on and you can see the path again! Why? Because then the second stage engine ignited after the first stage fell away. Super cool. Very nice work John!

C86E4654-E9C8-4EF3-A1C5-DFA3E85D62A7-822-00000131065E913B.jpeg