Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Falcon 9 FT launch - JCSAT 14 - SLC-40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nay. The fact that SpaceX has done it twice before, and it's becoming routine, is evidence that we've all accepted this new reality. We'll talk again when one that landed gets launched and lands again.
Almost everyone I know that I have talked to about SpaceX re-landing a first stage has never heard of it, and knows next to nothing about SpaceX and it's long term goal. The general public is woefully ignorant about SpaceX.

SpaceX is on course to change the course of human history in this century. Most people have no idea that is happening.

Almost everyone I know that I have talked to about SpaceX re-landing a first stage has never heard of it, and knows next to nothing about SpaceX and it's long term goal. The general public is woefully ignorant about SpaceX.
And anything else scientific. They tend to follow whomever brays the loudest (which is why advertising works).

I regularly read posts on this forum about people who "can't stop talking about Tesla" to their friends. I try very hard to know my audience and only dish out as much as they can chew about certain things. I also try to show that I'm not one dimensional conversationally. However, when it comes to the SpaceX landings and mission in general, I find the need to reiterate the same things repeatedly. This is despite the eventual "yes, you already mentioned it". It's such a big deal that I don't think it can be repeated too often.

Watching those angles, I kept thinking about those alien abduction stories...

"I saw this bright light above me and I couldn't see, and the next thing I knows, I was standing in the corn field and I don't remember a thing!":eek:

Thanks for posting! Awesome shots!:D

• Funny
Reactions: Grendal
26822456756_9aba90422d_z.jpg
26919296435_d797366b12_z.jpg

Elon has stated that the F9 booster would be capable of reaching orbit by itself if it's not carrying a payload. I wonder if this could potentially make a meaningful test flight for one of the recovered boosters? No direct commercial value, of course, but I'm sure SpaceX would learn a lot from the attempt. And it would be incredibly entertaining to watch. I'm not sure what the world record for fastest time from launch to orbit is, but I'd bet the standalone F9 core could give it a run for its money.

Thank you for posting that. At the 43 second mark, the second camera viewpoint appears to show that as the stage touched down it moved laterally, right to left in that view, maybe 10 ft. So there was still some lateral velocity at touchdown, though it was minimal compared to the previous OCISLY landing.
Three different camera angles of the booster landing:

Reactions: Grendal
Thank you for posting that. At the 43 second mark, the second camera viewpoint appears to show that as the stage touched down it moved laterally, right to left in that view, maybe 10 ft. So there was still some lateral velocity at touchdown, though it was minimal compared to the previous OCISLY landing.

I also think you can also see the shift in the first part at 14-15 seconds. It seems to be more of a slide. You can also see the rocking of the ship in the first and second segments. It's pretty dramatic action as evidenced in the second segment. I"d guess at an 8 to 10 degree sway. It is just incredible they can do this with as many variables happening as they are.

Michael, thanks for posting that video. Watching it, it occurred to me that I don't understand how the lifting "collar" at the top of the stage is attached, the part that the crane connects to so that it can lift the stage. That collar piece is pretty large. I assume it is raised and then lowered into place but then you need to have people up there to do the work to attach it to the top of the stage. I've never seen video or photos of that being done. It can't be done until the stage gets back into port.

I'm not sure what the world record for fastest time from launch to orbit is, but I'd bet the standalone F9 core could give it a run for its money.

That's kind of a weird way of looking at it. Time to orbit really isn't a metric because 1) you get there in minutes regardless, and 2) there are an infinite number of orbits, each with a specifically defined set of velocity vectors that are independent of the object.

That's kind of a weird way of looking at it. Time to orbit really isn't a metric because 1) you get there in minutes regardless, and 2) there are an infinite number of orbits, each with a specifically defined set of velocity vectors that are independent of the object.

I didn't say it wasn't weird :) By "orbit" I just meant the minimal trajectory where the craft would complete at least one orbit before reentering; this is similar enough for most LEO trajectories. Polar low-earth orbits are only ~10% more energetically expensive than equatorial. Getting into orbit faster reduces gravity losses, so there's some point to it. I think most rockets are acceleration-limited, so they'd have to throttle down somewhat to avoid breaking apart. Otherwise you'll be pushing 20G's at cutoff! I think 5G's is probably a realistic limit for one F9 core. If there weren't a pesky atmosphere to worry about, a rocket accelerating at 5G's continuous could reach orbit in about 2 minutes 40 seconds.

image.jpg
This article has decided that it wasn't the hot re-entry that caused all the damage but....UFO's!

UFO Damaged SpaceX Rocket; NASA is silent

And NASA is the one that is hiding the information.
Finally, some hard hitting reporting. I can't believe that they don't go the next step and make the natural connection that Senator Richard Shelby is the aliens' representative on the Earth, retarding space innovation by continuing to funnel resources to ULA! Just look at that mug,

Last edited: