Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not surprising that the first aircraft OEM is a smaller player. It’ll take longer for larger companies to adopt.

It’s largely a new market—short haul aircraft like the dash 8 have never really been cost compatible with legacy in-air connectivity services, so it’s a no brainer addition where nothing has existed before.

Conversely, many of the larger carriers have existing contracts with legacy services on their larger aircraft. So…there’s a messy business of getting close to the tail of those contracts before switching to Starlink.

It’s also a near certainty that Starlink is already working with B and A on what is most likely a pretty simple qualification process (because those aircraft are already optionable for the legacy services), it’s just that buyers of B and A (and even E, to a lesser degree) aircraft are generally looking at a much longer Starlink switchover timelines.

SpaceX seems to be making a lot of progress in BC with creating a system to load V2 Starlinks into Starship. We know that S24 has a “dispensing mechanism” structure inside and a working cargo door. For lack of a better term, a “Starlink loading box” has been built and photos have shown V2 Starlinks being loaded into it from the top. It has a slot on the bottom and sliding arms on a track (wrapped in a blue material in the photos below) that appear to be the right dimensions so they can extend into Starship through the cargo door. The new loading box has been moved into a newly constructed building at Starbase which will presumably be used to store V2 Starlinks and then load them into the box. The box will be hoisted up next to a Starship, using a crane, and the Starlinks will then be transferred into the ship. Will this be done when the ship is stacked at Stage Zero or in a high bay? I don’t know.

So SpaceX is clearly dedicated to launching a significant number of Starlinks from BC. Of course all this work will create a template for how to do it in Florida.

72E7813A-5FD1-4178-A3D9-3B8CD571DBD1.jpeg
8BCB0A00-9ACD-4424-A18E-FBD8FA4DFFB4.jpeg

SpaceX seems to be making a lot of progress in BC with creating a system to load V2 Starlinks into Starship. We know that S24 has a “dispensing mechanism” structure inside and a working cargo door. For lack of a better term, a “Starlink loading box” has been built and photos have shown V2 Starlinks being loaded into it from the top. It has a slot on the bottom and sliding arms on a track (wrapped in a blue material in the photos below) that appear to be the right dimensions so they can extend into Starship through the cargo door. The new loading box has been moved into a newly constructed building at Starbase which will presumably be used to store V2 Starlinks and then load them into the box. The box will be hoisted up next to a Starship, using a crane, and the Starlinks will then be transferred into the ship. Will this be done when the ship is stacked at Stage Zero or in a high bay? I don’t know.

So SpaceX is clearly dedicated to launching a significant number of Starlinks from BC. Of course all this work will create a template for how to do it in Florida.

View attachment 830917View attachment 830918
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the launch tower will have a feature to lift the Starlink loader. Might even just attach to chopsticks. Otherwise, they need a lot of extra Starship placing and moving.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the launch tower will have a feature to lift the Starlink loader. Might even just attach to chopsticks. Otherwise, they need a lot of extra Starship placing and moving.
That is an interesting thought. Lately there has been a lot of work on the chopsticks; are modifications being made for that purpose?

I’m trying to picture how that might work. The chopsticks first place a booster on the OLM, then stack a ship on top. Then the chopsticks open up, move down to the base, the Starlink loader box is attached (to the center point of the chopsticks?), it raises up to the level of ship cargo door then translates toward the ship, the Starlinks are inserted, the loader box is pulled back and lowered back down to the base where it is detached and moved away.

That would be pretty cool.

Reactions: mongo
I see this question all the time on reddit:

>How long from launch does it take for the satellites to be operational in the constellation?

Much argument ensues about the minimum or average time or the range between min and max time.

I'd like to answer with a different frame of reference.

Imagine the question: When does the next satellite become operational? The answer to that is "Today!", and tomorrow, and the next day, for the next few years, it will always be today, and tomorrow, and the day after...

Say it takes 4 months for all sats in a launch to get into position and become operational

4 months of launches, 622 satellites, average 5 new sats coming on line each day or 35.8 per week.

* Starlink 4-14 2022-04-21 53 version 1.5 satellites
* Starlink 4-16 2022-04-29 53 version 1.5 satellites
* Starlink 4-17 2022-05-06 53 version 1.5 satellites
* Starlink 4-13 2022-05-13 53 version 1.5 satellites
* Starlink 4-15 2022-05-14 53 version 1.5 satellites
* Starlink 4-18 2022-05-18 53 version 1.5 satellites
* Starlink 4-19 2022-06-17 53 version 1.5 satellites
* Starlink 4-21 2022-07-07 53 version 1.5 satellites
* Starlink 3-1 2022-07-10 46 version 1.5 satellites
* Starlink 4-22 2022-07-17 53 version 1.5 satellites
* Starlink 3-2 2022-07-22 46 version 1.5 satellites
* Starlink 4-25 2022-07-24 53 version 1.5 satellites

If you pick 3 months as the time it takes the number of sats per day increases:

3 months of launches, 569 satellites, average 6 new sats coming on line each day or 43.6 per week.

End result instead of harping on what the minimum time is, or the average, or the maximum, or what the distribution is between min and max. Just consider how many launches per week they are averaging and consider new satellites join the active list every day. The number increases if you look at it per week. It's a moving target with new satellites coming online practically continuously.

• Love
Reactions: Grendal
End result instead of harping on what the minimum time is, or the average, or the maximum, or what the distribution is between min and max. Just consider how many launches per week they are averaging and consider new satellites join the active list every day.

Of course, consider that people like to know how and why things work, not because they need to know, but simply because they’d like to know. You can't fault people for honest curiosity. Hell, most of the threads in this forum wouldn't exist if every post #2 was "in the big picture you don't have to worry about it".

To wit, while "what's important is that eating salad is good for you" is a pretty unassailable statement, it is not exactly the appropriate way to respond to "how do farmers grow lettuce?".

For those curious LEOP (launch and early operations) for each sat is:
1. A few hours for launch and release
2. A few hours (generally) to acquire and control the satellite and perform initial checkouts
3. Some number of weeks for orbit raising, which includes in-plane phasing
4. Some number of days for IOT (in orbit test), though much and probably all of that at this point for starlinks will be done during orbit raising

This one is going to get fun. As SpaceX does not have spectrum in the 2gihz MSS bands, and there's no way they'll get any without taking over or leasing rights from the prime 'owners' (in quotes because people don't actually own spectrum), I see two possibilities here. Or at least I see these two right now...

1. Its related to this: Iridium enters development deal to bring its network to smartphones - SpaceNews

2. It is retaliation against Charlie's 12ghz aspiration. Echostar currently has 2gig spectrum via their acquisition of the Terestar and ICO assets like 10 or 12 years ago (satellites which, near as I know, nobody uses), and they're currently deploying that spectrum for terrestrial 5G service through branded hand-held. FTR this isn't new news; Charlie bought those assets long ago and the scuttlebutt even then was that there was never any aspiration to use that spectrum from space, just to block it out so he could use it terrestrially--there was actually scuttlebutt during Terrestar production in the mid aughts that Terrestar didn't even want ~$300M satellite for anything but a frequency squat, and their real aspiration was to be acquired by an MNO.

Anyway, what I don't know (since I'm not a regulatory person) is whether a space license would take priority over terrestrial use if there were an asset in space that was actually using those frequencies. But...if space use does take priority over the currently Echostar MSS bands (again, MSS = mobile satellite service, emphasis satellite), the interesting part is that the Echostar assets are close to EOL and, again near as I know, there's no replacement satellites planned. Nobody else is using those frequencies, so if SpaceX did get approval to use that spectrum for space up and down they'd basically be the priority users once the existing sats die....which can't be more than a few years away.

What's even more interesting is that this 2ghz battle basically aligns precedent with whichever side of the fence the 12ghz drama falls, so IMO whoever wins one, wins both.

Huh. I wonder if this is a shot across the bow as a retaliation for DISH trying to use 12 GHz for 5G.

Edit, here’s the narrative of SpaceX’s FCC filing. Good reading, and SpaceX makes a great case for using the spectrum to deliver mobile handset satellite service via their existing satellite fleet.

Last edited:
How many other operators offer new materials at cost?

It’s pretty cool, for sure.

Flip side of course, it’s also very much a self serving offer. The last thing SX wants is for the brightness problem to get so untenable that it needs to be regulated; as [by far] the biggest constellation in the sky for at least the foreseeable future, Starlink would be by far most affected by any brightness regulations.

Starlink cuts monthly fee in France to 50 and adds a 250GB soft cap for prioritized speed. Can keep priority for 10 Euro per 100 GB.
SpaceX Cuts Starlink Pricing in France by 50%, Debuts 250GB Soft Data Cap - TeslaNorth.com

Starlink is growing up and providing both tiered pricing and per market pricing. I expect individual country rates to start shifting all over the place. It’s the only way they’ll be able to provide individual service in a lot of third world countries.

Reactions: CyberGus
For more visibilty

For all the *sugar* Ajit Pai received, he didn't straight up deny hundreds of millions of dollars of funding the way Rosenworcel has. Wow, just terrible, after Starlink has proven its capabilities to 500,000+ users already.