Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like I said, no evidence they are being used in production...

Yeah, that’s what I was referring to when I said we had anecdotal evidence for lasers being used.

picard-facepalm.jpg

Now that's interesting. Satellite capability in mobile phones would perform better than cel towers if it utilized Starlink, no more need for tower coverage and such a phone would work pretty much anywhere with satellite coverage overhead. Which in time will be the entire world for Starlink.

Very interesting...wouldn't really impact Tesla stock much though, its more SpaceX related.
Rx power levels vs obstructions and line of sight aren't ideal. Uplink power is also an issue for direct to Starlink Satellites.
Direct backhaul to cell towers might be better.

T-Mobile bought out my old provider Sprint and things seem better.
Starlink backhaul direct to cell towers would allow better cellular coverage pretty much everywhere. And potentially exit nodes for Starlink where the towers are on the terrestrial backbone.

There was a previous Starship/Starlink presentation where Elon called out behind the sceens talks with cellular providers.
Yep, it seems like it could work out great. T-Mobile could provide ground stations at sites it currently has a cell tower/Internet connection with just some additional equipment being installed, and Starlink could provide backhaul for remote cell towers that can't easily get an Internet connection. (Maybe it will help with the congestion some users are experiencing where there isn't enough ground station capacity for the number of Starlink Dishys in the area.)

It will be interesting to see the details they release.

Yep, it seems like it could work out great. T-Mobile could provide ground stations at sites it currently has a cell tower/Internet connection with just some additional equipment being installed, and Starlink could provide backhaul for remote cell towers that can't easily get an Internet connection. (Maybe it will help with the congestion some users are experiencing where there isn't enough ground station capacity for the number of Starlink Dishys in the area.)

It will be interesting to see the details they release.

It will indeed considering that a lot of areas in the US are oversubscribed right now for Starlink. But, any agreement will take a while to implement, so SpaceX has time to launch more satellites.

Thanks for the info Grendal. I’m glad Carr pointed out that the speed requirements have three years before they kick in, because that was my immediate reaction when I saw the FCC rescind the award based in part on lack of hitting speed targets. Carr’s letter is well worded and hopefully the commissioners will take the FCC to task. I honestly smell a political hatchet job here or paid for corruption.

If I were betting, I would bet that SpaceX / T-mobile announce that Starlink will provide cell-tower backhaul for very remote locations, allowing T-mobile to expand their footprint much further.

I don't expect a sat phone, someone would have found that in FCC testing filings, and frankly the antenna requirements to make a good sat phone mean that you aren't getting a slim and pretty phone.

NOTE - before anyone jumps on the "there isn't enough bandwidth to backhaul cell towers" - I'm speaking ONLY of remote locations, not towers that have access to good fiber (which will always be superior to LEO satellites).

Could use fiber connected cell towers as endpoints also, increasing the space to terrestrial bandwidth.

Phone - tower - sat (laser link relay if needed) - tower - backbone

Could use fiber connected cell towers as endpoints also, increasing the space to terrestrial bandwidth.

Phone - tower - sat (laser link relay if needed) - tower - backbone

Absolutely. Basically, many many more ground stations. Although these become somewhat less valuable in the future when sat to sat lasers are in place (except for the final hop to terrestrial).

Absolutely. Basically, many many more ground stations. Although these become somewhat less valuable in the future when sat to sat lasers are in place (except for the final hop to terrestrial).

While not co-located, unless it's user to user, all connections need as much gateway BW as user BW, that could add up. (Don't know the data rates though for the ratio). Multi-dish data centers are limited by total RF power (though bigger dishes help there).

Laser ground links would be cool...

Reactions: bkp_duke