Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you, @mongo .

Still curious if there any other noticeable differences between Business vs. Residential versions for day-to-day, light homeowner-type use? (Other than accessing more satellites at once with the wider angle)?

The upload or download rate was about double… but I’m not sure if the difference would be noticeable to anyone in my small household.

Residential is better than roam and roam was more than enough (in my area). Residential satellite link download is currently limited by my wifi.
If you were doing a lot of uploading, maybe business would be worth it. But that's a heck of a monthly bill.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20230620_135234_Starlink.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230620_135234_Starlink.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 125
  • SmartSelect_20230620_135321_Starlink.jpg
    SmartSelect_20230620_135321_Starlink.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 48
  • Helpful
Reactions: Surfer of Life
Unfortunately I've seen discourse online implying that Starlink is to blame, but that's a bit ridiculous. They must have been using Starlink solely for communications while above water. Once the craft was underway, I don't think RF can penetrate that massive volume of water.
Extremely long wavelengths are needed to penetrate seawater. The US Navy uses Ultra Low Frequency radio to reach tens of meters under the surface. Those wavelengths are on the order of 100 kilometers and require large antennae for both transmitting and receiving. Starlink ground radio broadcasts result in wavelengths on the order of 10 millimeters. That's not even going to tickle the surface.

I'm sure that if there's a Starlink terminal at sea, it's on the Polar Prince, the research vessel used as the sub's tender.

So… Do standard residential Starlink and Roam Starlink supply different Wi-Fi?
Same router. My setup has Starlink with Ethernet adapter hardwired to an Asus router/ switch that handles the house wifi and connection to my NAS.
Speed test was from the other end of the house on my mobile phone.
Starlink can do mesh with more of their routers also.

I just got my Starlink Roam!

But it says “Standard” on the box; did they ship me the wrong hardware?
Based on this Starlink web page there are two types of hardware for the “Roam” Starlink service. The “Standard” hardware is not capable of being used in motion.

Quote from that web page about the “In Motion Use” hardware:
The Flat High Performance Starlink allows users to enjoy high-speed, low-latency internet while in motion.

With a wide field of view and enhanced GPS capabilities, the Flat High Performance Starlink can connect to more satellites, allowing for consistent connectivity on the go.

The hardware is designed for a permanent installation on your vehicle and is resilient in harsh environments.

Currently available for order and use in select markets.
Did you specifically order the “Flat High Performance” hardware?

The face of the Standard hardware is flat.

I believe that the “Flat High Performance” hardware is called that because it is designed to be mounted flat on the surface of a car/truck/boat whatever.
Plugged in and working 100x as fast as my old DSL. What a dream. Thank you, Elon!

But where do I find my Starlink’s WI-FI password so I’m secure?

And how do I keep anyone else from ever using my Starlink WI-FI as an uninvited “guest” (I’m really that clueless about WI-FI setup!).

TIA again, (I love these forums!).

But where do I find my Starlink’s WI-FI password so I’m secure?

And how do I keep anyone else from ever using my Starlink WI-FI as an uninvited “guest” (I’m really that clueless about WI-FI setup!).
If I recall correctly, you had to set up your Starlink account using the app and you had to create a password to do that.

Of course you would have made a record of the password you created.

No one else can access your Starlink wifi network without the password.

If I recall correctly, you had to set up your Starlink account using the app and you had to create a password to do that.

Of course you would have made a record of the password you created.

No one else can access your Starlink wifi network without the password.
I misplaced my password, so I set it up like a guest without my password; how can I undo that and log in with my password for better security?

It looks like anybody nearby could connect like that, and help themselves to my high speed Starlink Wi-Fi for free.

Last edited:
I misplaced my password, so I set it up like a guest without my password; how can I undo that and log in with my password for better security?

It looks like anybody nearby could connect like that, and help themselves to my high speed Starlink Wi-Fi for free.

Unclear which passwords you are talking about.
However:
Once you have access to your Starlink account via the app:
Reset the router by unplugging and plugging it in 6 times fast (or use a power strip switch).
Wait for it to finish booting.
Connect to Starlink WiFi
Repeat SSID and password setup via the app.

All the (re)configuration is done via the app.

Go to Starlink enter the email address you used to create your Starlink anccount and click on ”Forgot Password?”. Then you can set up a new password.

Unclear which passwords you are talking about.
However:
Once you have access to your Starlink account via the app:
Reset the router by unplugging and plugging it in 6 times fast (or use a power strip switch).
Wait for it to finish booting.
Connect to Starlink WiFi
Repeat SSID and password setup via the app.

All the (re)configuration is done via the app.
I reset the router clicking the power bar switch 14 times in a row just to make sure, but no matter what I try, it just reconnects again. On my devices connected to WIFI, Starlink shows "Unsecured Network", or my Android phone says "Security None" and there's no hint of a way to get the prompt to enter the password so I can secure it.

All the old connections to my wireless DSL router say "Connected, Secured".

Is there a way to see if there are other users connecting to my starlink WIFI?

What to do? Return it, then buy another in hopes it prompts me to enter a password?

Would my Starlink WIFI password the same as my Starlink account password? Who knows?? It's not like there's any way to communicate with the Starlink folks and just ask them.

Sorry for all the basic WIFI questions.

Last edited:
I reset the router clicking the power bar switch 14 times in a row just to make sure, but no matter what I try, it just reconnects again. On my devices connected to WIFI, Starlink shows "Unsecured Network", or my Android phone says "Security None" and there's no hint of a way to get the prompt to enter the password so I can secure it.

What to do? Return it, then buy another in hopes it prompts me to enter a password?

Would my Starlink WIFI password the same as my Starlink account password? Who knows?? It's not like there's any way to communicate with the Starlink folks and just ask them.

probably 192.168.0.1 (web browser)(type in 192.168.0.1)
it _should_ let you in
i expect router usr name and pw is probably
"admin" "guest" or similar
defaults on many routers

if this works to let you in, there should be a screen of what IP's/somethings connected
(understand this is _very_ generic) good luck

IF THIS WORKS, write down the username and passwords for next time
AND change them

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: UncaNed

Have you used the Starlink app on your phone while connected to the unsecured Starlink wifi?
"SETTINGS" from first page has router setup under "NETWORK" on mine (which is configured, so maybe different? ).

• Love
Reactions: UncaNed

Perhaps something on this page will help.