Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone using a telescoping pole to mount their Starlink on?

I use Starlink RV when traveling with my trailer, placing the dish on the ground. So far that has worked well except of course when at a campsite with a lot of trees close by. Friends I’m traveling with right now use a telescoping pole mounted to their trailer bumper, which is 2”x3”, like my trailer. Photos below are of their setup; we are currently camped side-by-side and their Starlink is usable while mine, placed on the ground, is not. Their pole is made by Harbor Freight with an adaptor at the top for Starlink. Camco also sells a telescoping pole but I can’t find a Starlink adaptor for it. The pole sits in a mount that fits into the hitch clamped to the trailer bumper.

I could just buy the same parts my friends use but am always looking for other options that might be better in some way.

IMG_2606.jpeg

IMG_2607.jpeg

Last edited:
I think my rooftop Starlink needs a simple extension several feet long to avoid a little tree shadow, but surprisingly there's no extensions listed among the accessories on the website.

What to do?
Are the trees showing up as obstructions in the app?

Taller mast adds a lot of torque to the mount. Ground mount pole or pipe adapter + old school television antenna mount may be needed.

Reactions: navguy12
Are the trees showing up as obstructions in the app?

Taller mast adds a lot of torque to the mount. Ground mount pole or pipe adapter + old school television antenna mount may be needed.
Yes, but just a little. I understand about the torque, a set of adapters so I could try a few feet of standard electrical conduit or something would be handy to experiment.

Yes, but just a little. I understand about the torque, a set of adapters so I could try a few feet of standard electrical conduit or something would be handy to experiment.
Are you getting dropouts?
Here are the options for DIY. The ground pole is two pieces, so you can go shorter (need to add hole for wire though).
Are you already at the ridge?

SmartSelect_20230729_173804_Starlink.jpgSmartSelect_20230729_173820_Starlink.jpg

Reactions: UncaNed
I recently travelled by Air France and the internet service was ABYSMAL. Poor bandwidth, frequent lost connections and hours at a time with no connection. And this was the paid service and not the free one.

Which makes wonder, what are airlines waiting for? How is that even domestic carriers have not signed up yet, or fully deployed it yet? Has anyone here used it in a commercial service (not private jets) ?

So the Euro airlines want to wait for a decade and only use govt services, when a great service is already available for a good price?
Could be. They like vertical integration.
What about US & Middle East carriers?
Existing contracts, lack of interest, cost, stonewalling by Starlink. Starlink charges roughly $20,000 per month and $150,000 to install. JSX, which is a business jet airline, spent over two years negotiating with SpaceX before getting a bunch of their aircraft fitted. Starlink may not be technically ready for a bunch of aircraft with 100-300 people each. They're still building the network.

Who's tried mounting the square antenna on Harbor Freight's flag pole stabilized by adding screws to hold each telescoping section? Is it stable enough in winds?
I have a friend who has the square antenna on the HF pole and when it is fully extended he says it is okay in moderate winds. He mounts it on his RV bumper. I’m about to get all the parts for his setup and will be using it in two weeks.

IMG_2607.jpeg
IMG_2606.jpeg

Reactions: scaesare
I recently travelled by Air France and the internet service was ABYSMAL. Poor bandwidth, frequent lost connections and hours at a time with no connection. And this was the paid service and not the free one.

Which makes wonder, what are airlines waiting for? How is that even domestic carriers have not signed up yet, or fully deployed it yet? Has anyone here used it in a commercial service (not private jets) ?
I suspect that it takes time to certify Starlink for each different commercial jet. Large airlines fly a mix of equipment so SpaceX needs to certify on all of them before the big airlines are interested. It isn’t as if they are losing customers yet. Once one big airline goes, the others will be forced to follow.

So with Starlink’s 100th launch coming up, is it time to write the epitaph of Kuiper and Oneweb? Sure they’ll get their 5% market share each, but at this point Starlink is also eating up Geosat revenue too. I just don’t see the other LEO companies actually being profitable, like ever. They will flail around gobbling up investor money but we all know what the end game is here right?