Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Internet Satellite Network: Starlink

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep reading about starlink satellites on these spacex launches, but not reading about more customers coming online. Why? My order page still says late this year.

The first service (non beta) dates haven't changed. Not only are they launching satellites, they are also installing ground base stations and working on software for the whole system.

It also takes a few months after a launch to get the satellites positioned for service, so the recent launches won't be used for a few months.

Reactions: house9 and bkp_duke
I have been also thinking the hardware could be the bottle neck and possibly trying to improve on the dish

Yes, that's probably another bottleneck too, manufacturing enough dishys. The fact that we have a worldwide semiconductor shortage no doubt affects SpaceX as well. In the end though, SpaceX is moving a whole bunch of things in parallel during this beta: Satellite hardware, satellite software, ground station hardware, ground station software, dish manufacturing and software there too.

Reactions: nativewolf
1624855442526.png

Is there any rhyme or reason to wait times for StarLink hardware? Some seem to receive units right away, and some seem to have been waiting for some time. Also does not seem to be location dependent - at least not wrt latitude.

It’s a bit of a lottery. Until the first wave of satellites are in place (about 2 months before that is complete), Starlink will have capacity and reliability issues. So until the system is out of beta, it’s pretty random in any one area who gets it and who doesn’t.

1626319242358.png

from https://starlink.sx/

gives you an idea how close to complete the first layer of the net is.

Red is wrong altitude, yellow is wrong position compared to the rest of the net.

just a few more launches and it'll fill in nicely.

3 more launches in August and 3 more in September should fill the majority of the gaps.

while the ones launched in September won't be coming on line immediately the ones from June, July, and August will be filling in major gaps right as the ones in September launch.

Last edited:
View attachment 684668

from https://starlink.sx/

gives you an idea how close to complete the first layer of the net is.

Red is wrong altitude, yellow is wrong position compared to the rest of the net.

just a few more launches and it'll fill in nicely.

3 more launches in August and 3 more in September should fill the majority of the gaps.

while the ones launched in September won't be coming on line immediately the ones from June, July, and August will be filling in major gaps right as the ones in September launch.

now compare how 10 days of lifting changes that outlook, not much red left until we get some fresh launches

1627095096459.png

Last edited:
I dream of getting a similar email, our current service is so expensive, slow and unreliable.

Hopefully soon my name will come up! Looking at the posts above it looks like the first level constellation is nearly complete.

This email was sent out recently, I don't think slow and unreliable apply to starlink now and they sure won't apply by the time you get a dishy in hand.

email follows:

-------------

"Since our last update, the Starlink team has been hard at work building the systems and infrastructure to enable growth while continuously improving service quality. Below are some of the highlights:

Space Lasers

As Elon recently mentioned, the Starlink team is preparing to launch upgraded satellites that will include space lasers. Space lasers enable our satellites to transfer data between each other without having to go through a ground station. Once fully deployed, space lasers will make Starlink one of the fastest options available to transfer data around the world.

Connecting to the Best Satellite

The team completed roll out of a new feature to all users that enables your Starlink to seamlessly switch to a different satellite in real time if communication with your assigned satellite is interrupted for any reason. There can only be one satellite connected to your Starlink at any time, but this feature will enable choice of the best satellite, resulting in far fewer network disruptions.

High Temperature Management

The Starlink team has initiated a series of software improvements that change how your Starlink responds to high temperatures. These improvements will roll out over the next few weeks and should address invalid “Thermal Shutdown” app alerts seen by some customers.

Starlink App Upgrades

The Starlink team recently rolled out several improvements that enable users to do all of the following from the app:

• make network name/password changes
  • enable WPA3 security implement
  • separate control of 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz
To date, Starlink has received deposits from almost every country around the world. Going forward, our ability to expand service will be driven in part by governments granting Starlink licensing internationally.

Thank you for being an early user of Starlink—we appreciate your feedback and continued support!

The Starlink Team

--------------------

This email was sent out recently, I don't think slow and unreliable apply to starlink now and they sure won't apply by the time you get a dishy in hand.

email follows:

-------------

"Since our last update, the Starlink team has been hard at work building the systems and infrastructure to enable growth while continuously improving service quality. Below are some of the highlights:

Space Lasers

As Elon recently mentioned, the Starlink team is preparing to launch upgraded satellites that will include space lasers. Space lasers enable our satellites to transfer data between each other without having to go through a ground station. Once fully deployed, space lasers will make Starlink one of the fastest options available to transfer data around the world.

Connecting to the Best Satellite

The team completed roll out of a new feature to all users that enables your Starlink to seamlessly switch to a different satellite in real time if communication with your assigned satellite is interrupted for any reason. There can only be one satellite connected to your Starlink at any time, but this feature will enable choice of the best satellite, resulting in far fewer network disruptions.

High Temperature Management

The Starlink team has initiated a series of software improvements that change how your Starlink responds to high temperatures. These improvements will roll out over the next few weeks and should address invalid “Thermal Shutdown” app alerts seen by some customers.

Starlink App Upgrades

The Starlink team recently rolled out several improvements that enable users to do all of the following from the app:

• make network name/password changes
  • enable WPA3 security implement
  • separate control of 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz
To date, Starlink has received deposits from almost every country around the world. Going forward, our ability to expand service will be driven in part by governments granting Starlink licensing internationally.

Thank you for being an early user of Starlink—we appreciate your feedback and continued support!

The Starlink Team

--------------------
All exciting stuff. I will be super glad to get rid of this point to point microwave 6 relay system setup by Surfnet.

Send me a dishy!

Whoo-hoo!

View attachment 689193

Location (for those wondering about their orders, I'm account # ACC-126250-xxxxx):
View attachment 689194

Our antenna-to-cell-phone-tower system plan (Telus) costs upwards of $500 / month! This will be cheaper and faster!
:)
Whoo-hoo!

View attachment 689193

Location (for those wondering about their orders, I'm account # ACC-126250-xxxxx):
View attachment 689194

Our antenna-to-cell-phone-tower system plan (Telus) costs upwards of $500 / month! This will be cheaper and faster!
:)
I don’t know if the order# really means anything but my ord number is
254688-xxxxx-xx

maybe more of the hold up has been improvements they want in line before releasing more

What was your reservation date? Mine was in January.

possibly when you get your system might be more area dependent like the cars

I don’t know if the order# really means anything but my ord number is
254688-xxxxx-xx

maybe more of the hold up has been improvements they want in line before releasing more

What was your reservation date? Mine was in January.

possibly when you get your system might be more area dependent like the cars
Good point, @azjohn . My reservation date was 13 June 2020, so reservation to shipping dish in 13 months.