Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX releases online Crew Dragon/ISS docking simulator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was stressful! But I'm ready for my astronaut job now, Elon!
Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 12.28.56 AM.png

I'm looking forward to Scott Manley weighing in on this sim with a video. Once docking is mastered, bet SpaceX could easily add in some optional failures modes. They could probably throw the kitchen sink at everyone. But to keep it manageable and not too brutally frustrating, think in terms of a minimum fuel issue or an erratic RCS thruster, a la Gemini 8.
Although Doug and Bob have no doubt mastered these controls, it's now easier to imagine how much more precise Crew Dragon software can perform an ISS docking maneuver.

Reactions: e-FTW and Grendal
Took me one extra try but I got it done, with zeros all across. First one was a quick fail as I backed out too far away at the very beginning as I was figuring out the controls.
There are Easter eggs in there, like a Flat Earth mode...
10C32016-DBF4-4D1B-82AA-D1B3F2975DBD.jpeg

Looking at the video of an astronaut using the touchscreen controls reminds me that:
- That has to suck on earth, as you are holding up your arm all the time to use the touchscreen controls. How’s that touchscreen computer treating you?
- Once in zero-g, things get easier I assume, BUT: am sure it will change slightly how the astronaut’s fine motor skills are applied to using those controls.
Of course, they won’t be hand-flying most of the time (aside from a planned test once in orbit), but if they do need to I would love to hear from them how touchscreen controls work for them in space.