Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog SpaceX Secures $100M in New Funding

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Grendal

SpaceX Moderator
Jan 31, 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
This probably wasn't difficult. The VC' s will eventually reap a huge reward. IPO is still likely years away.y

I doubt Elon will ever IPO SpaceX. He basically hates that Tesla is publicly traded. I seriously doubt he would want to take on the headaches associated with being public with SpaceX for lots and lots of reasons.

I expect that this is an internal investor just putting a little more onto the table. I doubt it is a fresh investor unless it is someone Elon wants involved in the company for some reason.

Reactions: mongo
I doubt Elon will ever IPO SpaceX. He basically hates that Tesla is publicly traded. I seriously doubt he would want to take on the headaches associated with being public with SpaceX for lots and lots of reasons.

I expect that this is an internal investor just putting a little more onto the table. I doubt it is a fresh investor unless it is someone Elon wants involved in the company for some reason.

Elon sure has had a love/hate relationship with the capital markets. There's already a Tesla prediction thread, is there one for SpaceX? It won't cost me anything, so I'll go out on a limb and say IPO by 2030. What I think will be a critical prerequisite is that all man-rated vehicles be demonstrated safe and dependable as possible. A couple of reasons why an IPO might someday be desirable. Elon is gifted at making futuristic predictions, but not so much with timetables (probably intentional). Public stock can offer liquidity for those who are less patient. Eventually venture investors expect a big payday. They might get edgy watching launch profits go up in smoke while paying the way to Mars. Also, big plans require large funding. This can work if commercial launches truly cover necessary costs. Tough to predict. Another angle, after an IPO, any additional stock issuance can raise capital quickly if needed. I'm excited to see SpaceX make Mars happen, but the certainty of a quick payback is tenuous. This argument could also be used against an IPO, so who knows?
The SpaceX mission statement is grand and worthy (make humans multiplanetary etc.). Getting there and duplicating the spectacular success of the profitable Falcon 9 will likely be filled with some unexpected twists and turns.

Reactions: Grendal
Elons plans need lot of money, so my guess is IPO before 2020. Of course IPO brings trouble, but so does all borrowed money.

Expanding our civilization is very important (expand or die), but Mars is not suitable first target.

Elon will do everything he possibly can to avoid a SpaceX IPO. And I think he will succeed in avoiding it. The colonization of Mars is too important to him to cede control. And I think there are enough smart and very wealthy investors who believe in his goal to support the company, because they also realize that the potential return on their investment, over a very long time period, is enormous.