Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - IFT-3 - Starbase TX - Pre-Launch Preparations Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Booster tanks have started loading but there seems to be a pause in the process. NSF speculating a GSE issue. No indication as of now of depress and detanking.

IMG_0517.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394

What a frigging waste of time !!

I looked at the starbasestatus.com website yesterday morning and no closure was indicated. Drove all the way from Dallas to Boca Chica, only to be turned away a few miles before Starbase by a rent-a-cop by around 3:30 pm. I showed him the website where it did not mention that it will be closed. He didn't care. There were many who were allowed to go. But those were people who I think lived in Boca Chica village or contractors who worked at Starbase.

Since it was closed today also, I didn't bother staying there overnight, returned to Dallas staying overnight at Austin. On the plus side, my Model Y performed flawlessly over this 1200 miles. All SpCs worked great with very little occupancy.

Last edited:
Yep, NSF was right.
That's a surprisingly-long burn directly onto Fondag, even for one engine. Does anyone else think that it might have been that long so that they could start from the header tanks and transition to the main tanks?

33 Booster engines
Great video.

Has anyone heard an explanation for why the exhaust goes from white to brown? I just checked IFT-2 and it did the same thing prior to liftoff.

That's a surprisingly-long burn directly onto Fondag, even for one engine. Does anyone else think that it might have been that long so that they could start from the header tanks and transition to the main tanks?
Maybe? Might be the length needed to validate ullage system.
Now that I reread, SpaceX didn't say if it was a header tank test...

Has anyone heard an explanation for why the exhaust goes from white to brown? I just checked IFT-2 and it did the same thing prior to liftoff.
White is steaming the deluge water (which starts with a surplus), brown is when the exhaust flow vaporizers all the water and makes it past the concrete to the soil and whips it up.

The idea is that if you fire your engines in microgravity, you need to use the header tanks,
If that is what will happen then SpaceX needs to actually get to orbit instead of "almost orbit?"

With any suborbital trajectory, including "almost orbit", as soon as the engines are off, the ship is in free-fall. A microgravity environment should persist until the upper atmosphere starts pushing back. Three-fourths of an orbit gives you about an hour to try stuff.
Educated guess, anyway.