Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - Integrated Flight Test #2 - Starbase TX - Including Post Launch Dissection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And
At this point they've gotten good and fast enough at it, they can probably carve out 45 minutes out that morning, and get it stacked up and ready...
The issue @JB47394 mentions aside, they've gotten darn quick at it:

1700062953793.png

Reactions: CarlS
The issue @JB47394 mentions aside, they've gotten darn quick at it:
That issue is that it took them over an hour to stack it. Note the timestamps. Chris was being a little too optimistic. He saw the ring going into place and assumed that it would stack without a hitch. In the end, it wasn't quick and took about 90 minutes. But it's a prototype ring, and there's no reason that it should stack quickly.

For that matter, the whole rocket is a prototype, so having expectations of it is kinda silly. I'm just gonna watch along with everyone else and hope for the best.

Reactions: scaesare
That issue is that it took them over an hour to stack it. Note the timestamps. Chris was being a little too optimistic. He saw the ring going into place and assumed that it would stack without a hitch. In the end, it wasn't quick and took about 90 minutes. But it's a prototype ring, and there's no reason that it should stack quickly.

For that matter, the whole rocket is a prototype, so having expectations of it is kinda silly. I'm just gonna watch along with everyone else and hope for the best.
I also suspect "takes no time to do this", is relative to what it takes to put a component on a "traditional" rocket stack. Even 90 mins is probably lightning quick comparatively speaking...

Limited to 30 operations per year.
Ah. I'm reading the document now. This is 30 operations of the deluge system per year. They expect 10 launches with an additional two "engine ignition events" per launch. So, 30 operations.

There're all sorts of interesting bits of information in the report. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the technical stuff was undoubtedly written by SpaceX.

It is estimated that approximately 72,000 gallons of water would be used for each static fire, and approximately 132,000 gallons of water for each launch event; however, for the purposes of this analysis, it is assumed that 358,000 gallons, the maximum volume of water available in the tanks, could be used. In addition, 3,000 gallons of detonation suppression water (described below) would also be used during each operation. The peak flowrate would be between 100,000 gallons per minute and 260,000 gallons per minute.

Based on modeled and collected data from the deluge tests, most of the water prior to engines startup and following engine shutdown would be collected in the retention areas or pushed out and 92% of the of the water would vaporize when engines are on

The Starship-Super Heavy plume when in contact with the steel divertor could ablate up to 190 pounds of steel per launch.

In reading the document, it seems like they're going to see steel ablation with the deluge system running.

Composition of the deluge plate: "approximately 18% chromium, 74% iron, and 8% nickel"

Lots more in there for the curious.

I'm into the actual ecological stuff now and one bit, I think, is illustrative of the sorts of considerations that the FWS goes through. The Piping Plover habitat is mud flats with little vegetation. Well, launches will scatter fresh water into the surrounding areas and could trigger the formation of new vegetation. That alteration would damage the natural habitat. But don't roll your eyes; the report states that the amount of fresh water wouldn't be significant enough to be of concern.

It's an interesting read.

Last edited:
Awesome!

(incidentally that FAA link 404's for me...)
Maybe they removed it due to this new one:
https://www.faa.gov/media/72816
As detailed in the BA addendum (Appendix A), operation of the deluge system and addition of a heat shield interstage conform to the analyses in the 2022 PEA and 2022 BA, with no new impacts identified. Operation of a deluge system was contemplated in these documents; however, sufficient data was not available at that time for adequate evaluation. This WR evaluates operation of the
deluge system and demonstrates that operation of the deluge system conforms to plans for which the prior PEA and FONSI/ROD have been issued, data and analyses regarding impacts to biological resources are still substantially valid, and pertinent conditions and requirements of the prior approval have been, or will be, met in the current action. SpaceX also continues to conform to the requirements from the 2022 PEA, including the ongoing monitoring of protected birds and vegetation surrounding the launch pad on an ongoing basis and before and after launches. SpaceX continues to support Sea Turtle Inc. through supplying and storing field equipment, surveying for and transporting stranded sea turtles, and assisting with sea turtle nest surveys. SpaceX continues implementing measures to deter predators, including quarterly State Highway 4 and beach cleanups

Interesting data:
Forward Heat Shield Interstage
SpaceX proposes to add an interstage to Super Heavy consisting of a forward heat shield. The forward heat shield provides thermal protection against heat produced by Starship engines start during the stage separation event. It is made of stainless steel and is approximately 30 feet in diameter and 6 feet long, weighing approximately 20,000 pounds. For some missions, the forward heat shield would be jettisoned between 30 and 400 kilometers offshore in the Gulf of Mexico. SpaceX would not recover the forward heat shield as it is expected to sink.

Which is no different than a natural event like a rain?
But don't roll your eyes; the report states that the amount of fresh water wouldn't be significant enough to be of concern.
Yet, you rolled your eyes.

The report exists to address and document all possible issues. It's saying "We considered the impact of additional water on the habitat because that's our job, and we discounted it as inconsequential". If they didn't say anything, then an environmental group would go after them with a "what about excess fresh water???" argument. The report does the same thing with concerns over contaminants found in the water around the site after the deluge test that weren't part of the local water supply. For example, rust inside the tanks. They again discounted it as a one-time issue when the tanks were first used.

For some missions, the forward heat shield would be jettisoned…
Interesting indeed. In the section you quoted, “interstage” appears to mean the same thing as “forward heat shield”. So what would be the advantage to getting rid of the interstage? Perhaps it would mean that less fuel would be required for the boost back/re-entry/landing burns since the booster would be lighter, meaning that Starship could carry a heavier payload to orbit.

Edit: sorry realized this is off topic for this IFT-2 thread. Perhaps it is better located in the Starship General Development thread.

Reactions: unk45 and JB47394
So what would be the advantage to getting rid of the interstage? Perhaps it would mean that less fuel would be required for the boost back/re-entry/landing burns since the booster would be lighter, meaning that Starship could carry a heavier payload to orbit.
That's the only thing that occurs to me, but I wonder how they'd dump the interstage. Use that flip maneuver they wanted to use on the first flight? Expending it also presents the opportunity to create a purpose-built interstage. It would have to deal with the loads, but only one staging. Regardless, I'm sure SpaceX will be looking for ways to make those things as light and simple as possible, whether reused or expended.

Edit: sorry realized this is off topic for this IFT-2 thread. Perhaps it is better located in the Starship General Development thread.
I take it you're not that kind of moderator...

What remains is the environmental review (thanks to NEPA), so they're just waiting on FWS to issue their biological opinions, again this is also explicitly confirmed by FAA. You can probably confirm this yourself by checking the signature date when license is published, what you'll likely see is that the launch license is signed very shortly after FWS' biological opinion release date.
So FWS sent over the biological opinion on November 14th, FAA signed off launch license on November 15th, exactly as I predicted. It confirms FAA is indeed waiting for FWS, and not waiting for anything - launch readiness or else - from SpaceX.

There really should be no question about this, given FAA laid everything out clearly in various press releases days and weeks ago, only a conspiracy theorist would doubt this.

Attachments

• FWS.png
    FWS.png
    104.4 KB · Views: 16