Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - Integrated Flight Test #2 - Starbase TX - Including Post Launch Dissection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Official stream. The commentary from John Insprucker and another two engineers is just fantastic. They have some amazing drone views. Amazing shots from under the rocket looking up on the engines.

LOVE the official stream. Video quality is just as good as YouTube.

1700311602274.png

Last edited:
So multiple successes with today’s flight; liftoff with all engines running, possibly no pad damage (TBD), all engines running up to MECO, all Starship engines ignited and ran for some time, hot staging appears to have worked, booster flipped.

Failures: booster RUD via FTS, Starship RUD (via FTS?, how to know without telemetry?)

So many questions; did the hot staging heat shield adequately protect the booster, did the planned number of engines on the booster keep running after MECO (I couldn’t tell, need to review), why the two RUDs.

It seems SpaceX needs more down range stations to maintain telemetry. And I was expecting to see camera views from the booster and ship.

Reactions: Grendal
So this means the entire Starship burn went successfully and just started the coast phase before the RUD ?

Is 24,124 km/hr the orbital speed for this mission, which it seemed to have reached ?
LEO orbital velocity is almost 28,000kmh. I don’t know what velocity SpaceX wanted to achieve for this mission but I assume it was close to that.

And I don’t know if the ship engines had shut down as planned and the vehicle was in the coast phase and then the FTS activated, or if the FTS activated while the engines were still running. I sure hope SpaceX knows.

Reactions: JB47394 and Grendal