Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - Integrated Flight Test #2 - Starbase TX - Including Post Launch Dissection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All boosters lit up, hot staging and booster separation were a success, I consider this a major success already, and am ecstatic for 3rd flight. It can't come soon enough!
As a SpaceX fanboy engineer I say hot staging was not a success.
I BELIEVE that the Booster RUD was caused by hot staging issues and possibly the Starship 2nd stage may have resulted from hot staging issues, maybe impacting a vacuum Raptor engine bell (total guess).
Regardless, SpaceX has valuable engineering data for their rapid re-design and flight 3 will likely improve.

As a SpaceX fanboy engineer I say hot staging was not a success.
I BELIEVE that the Booster RUD was caused by hot staging issues and possibly the Starship 2nd stage may have resulted from hot staging issues, maybe impacting a vacuum Raptor engine bell (total guess).
Regardless, SpaceX has valuable engineering data for their rapid re-design and flight 3 will likely improve.
It was a success. Booster had issues with engine restart, but that was after rotation and boostback started.
Launch thread;

SpaceX Starship - Integrated Flight Test #2 - Starbase TX

MECO happened at 2:43 flying at 5635 KM/H and 69 KM altitude. With this could one say, booster and its 33 engines performed flawlessly, and I would presume enough of fuel for landing ?
As I recall, Falcon 9's booster needs 13% of its propellants for a return to launch site, but it's moving at about 12,000 km/h. So the Starship booster may only need about 6% in its tanks to get back to the launch site (perhaps even less). Counting pixels on the telemetry image, it looks like they had about 9% remaining. That would allow for hovering/maneuvering at the launch site as well, especially given how light the booster would be at that point.

Not the images. Look at bottom left telemetry data and a graphic that indicates which engines are ON or OFF
Thanks, now I get it.

This is interesting. The T+2:43 image you posted showed the center 3 booster engines just as stage sep was occurring. That seemed like things were going according to plan.

Then the T+2:59 image you posted showed one of the center 3 engines out and 6 inner ring engines firing. That seems…weird. I had assumed that during the flip the center 3 engine would continue to fire as the cold gas thrusters rotated the vehicle. Why light any inner ring engines before the vehicle had reached an attitude pointing back towards the launch site? Was that actually the way SpaceX planned it to happen? We don’t know yet.

But the post by @mongo about Scott Manley’s analysis seems to suggest that there was a planned staggered restart of additional engines beyond the 3 center engines, and not all the planned engine restarts were achieved, meaning within a few seconds the booster was determined to be off course and that triggered the FTS.

It was a staggered restart, but Scott shows some didn't light/ stay lit.
Thanks so much for posting that. Great job by Scott to resynch and do the replay in slo-mo. Now its clear how the inner ring of engines were relit in a specific pattern, that one engine in the ring never ignited, and then one of the center three shutdown and two in the inner ring shut down. So a total of4 out of the planned 10 were out.

It was a staggered restart, but Scott shows some didn't light/ stay lit.
Also notice the firing of Starship's engines at hot staging. I assume the intent was to fire the vacuum, outer engines first, then wait two seconds, then fire the sea level, inner engines. The only off-nominal point was that one of the vacuums was slow to fire. I wonder if they gimballed the sea level engines or if firing the vacuum engines gave enough separation to go with them pointed straight.

Reactions: Grendal
Also notice the firing of Starship's engines at hot staging. I assume the intent was to fire the vacuum, outer engines first, then wait two seconds, then fire the sea level, inner engines. The only off-nominal point was that one of the vacuums was slow to fire. I wonder if they gimballed the sea level engines or if firing the vacuum engines gave enough separation to go with them pointed straight.
I think the intent was to fir the vacuums first, but does anyone know why? I would have thought that firing the sea level engines first would have still provided enough thrust for stage separation but would have been 'gentler' on the booster.

Also notice the firing of Starship's engines at hot staging. I assume the intent was to fire the vacuum, outer engines first, then wait two seconds, then fire the sea level, inner engines.
That sounds reasonable. I was wondering if for this flight test SpaceX planned to ignite all 6 Starship engines just to test them in a flight environment but that the long term plan is to only ignite the R Vacs for stage sep and ascent to orbit and then only use the center 3 Raptors for landing?

After all, with Falcon only an M Vac is used to get the 2nd stage to orbit. Yes, I realize the F9 2nd stage only has one engine and obviously it has to be a vacuum optimized design.

Maybe with Starship the center 3 sea level Raptors will always be used to help the vehicle achieve orbit but will shut down before the R Vacs.

Re-watching Scott’s video it appears that the Starship center engines ignited no more than a second after the R Vac engines had ignited. Maybe the interval needs to be a bit longer? Pure speculation of course…

Last edited:
Reactions: Grendal
Space Cowboys: TNG

snapshot13-56.jpg

Cheers!

P.S. Is that Ron Baron on the lower-right? ;)

We don’t know. I’m concerned that even SpaceX doesn’t know since at that point they had no telemetry signal from the vehicle.

When telemetry with Starship was lost, wouldn't the velocity readout stop showing increasing velocity? Either stay at last velocity data point received or go blank? I wonder how long before the visual dot disappeared was telemetry lost? I'd speculate that the earlier it was lost before RUD or flight termination the harder it may be to figure out the cause. Figuring out booster failure should be easier having all the data gathered in the seconds before it was lost

Did SpaceX expect to briefly lose telemetry at a specific period during the flight because of a gap in ground stations positioned to receive the signal?
If there are one or more such gaps, what would prevent using Starlink sats to capture the missing data? If that wasn't feasible whey not just have a jet with telemetry reception gear circling the area where the gap in ground stations was located?

Reactions: alstoralset
I think the intent was to fir the vacuums first, but does anyone know why? I would have thought that firing the sea level engines first would have still provided enough thrust for stage separation but would have been 'gentler' on the booster.
If you look at the geometry of the interstage, you'll see that the vacuum engines point at open space while the sea level engines point at a flat plate. There's very little space between engines and plate, and I doubt that the engines can be fired right away even while gimballed. So they fire the vacuum engines immediately because they can, then fire the sea level engines when they can.

F_AlEZkaAAApsxR.jpg:large

It is kind of very odd that there were no camera angles telecast from the ship itself. I am guessing SpaceX would have video feeds from the Ship and booster throughout. I would have loved to see the staging from a camera stationed on top of the booster. But all we got were views from the ground and EA had better, closer view of the staging than SpaceX themselves.

That sounds reasonable. I was wondering if for this flight test SpaceX planned to ignite all 6 Starship engines just to test them in a flight environment but that the long term plan is to only ignite the R Vacs for stage sep and ascent to orbit and then only use the center 3 Raptors for landing?
Starship needs the thrust of all six engines to efficiently get clear of the atmosphere. If it was on orbit and in vacuum, it could use as few engines as it likes and just take more time to change its velocity. The single vacuum engine on the Falcon 9 second stage happens to have enough thrust to do the job.

Maybe with Starship the center 3 sea level Raptors will always be used to help the vehicle achieve orbit but will shut down before the R Vacs.
That's an interesting idea, especially given that the mass of the vehicle drops quickly with the use of so much propellant.

Re-watching Scott’s video it appears that the Starship center engines ignited no more than a second after the R Vac engines had ignited. Maybe the interval needs to be a bit longer? Pure speculation of course…
Time it from the lighting of the first vacuum engines to the lighting of the sea level engines. It's about two seconds.

When telemetry with Starship was lost, wouldn't the velocity readout stop showing increasing velocity? Either stay at last velocity data point received or go blank? I wonder how long before the visual dot disappeared was telemetry lost? I'd speculate that the earlier it was lost before RUD or flight termination the harder it may be to figure out the cause. Figuring out booster failure should be easier having all the data gathered in the seconds before it was lost

Did SpaceX expect to briefly lose telemetry at a specific period during the flight because of a gap in ground stations positioned to receive the signal?
If there are one or more such gaps, what would prevent using Starlink sats to capture the missing data? If that wasn't feasible whey not just have a jet with telemetry reception gear circling the area where the gap in ground stations was located?
Telemetry:
8:03 engines shown as off
8:06 data stops changing (FTS)

Commentators were spitballing why telemetry was lost. Most likely due to RUD, not coverage issue.

It is kind of very odd that there were no camera angles telecast from the ship itself.
I thought the same thing. Very disappointing, particularly given that during IFT-1 during initial ascent we were briefly treated to a spectacular view from the vehicle looking back towards Earth.
I am guessing SpaceX would have video feeds from the Ship and booster throughout.
I am as certain as I can be that SpaceX recorded a lot of video from multiple cameras on ship and booster and it will prove useful in the post flight analysis.

I am as certain as I can be that SpaceX recorded a lot of video from multiple cameras on ship and booster
They're also very likely to show some of that footage, just as they did after IFT-1. Remember the footage from inside, between the two stages? I suspect that they don't want to show live footage of test flights because of potential abuse by SpaceX detractors. It's all about the propaganda, both for and against.