Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX Starship - Integrated Flight Test #2 - Starbase TX - Including Post Launch Dissection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the hot staging might have something to do with Booster RUD, I don't think that had anything to do with Starship flight profile or its RUD. That brings the question, did MECO happen at the expected flight parameters, or did the booster underperform?
I expect staging would not occur until target velocity was achieved, even if booster used too much (vs planned) propellant.

Seems like second stage had a fuel mix issue at the end. Went from excess LOX to excess CH4 (based on telemetry graph).

SmartSelect_20231118_084613_Firefox.jpg
SmartSelect_20231118_084546_Firefox.jpg

While the hot staging might have something to do with Booster RUD, I don't think that had anything to do with Starship flight profile or its RUD. That brings the question, did MECO happen at the expected flight parameters, or did the booster underperform?
The booster seemed to do everything correct through staging. My impression is that on relight for the boostback burn maybe one or two engines didn't relight properly. That would put it off nominal course, which would activate FTS for safety reasons.

There was a visual event on Starship at 7:07. That probably caused some adjustment to the course. At 7:43 you can also see what looked like cold gas thrusters trying to adjust course. Soon after that you have the engines shut down. A few moments after that the FTS kicks in for Starship.

That is my speculative WAG.

What was the expected burn time for 2nd engine? Rather how many more seconds of burn was still needed to put the ship into orbit ?

And Yes, what a sight it was to see all the 33 engines of the booster perform flawlessly (atleast visually) all through MECO. Did any of them underperform..? we wouldn't know until SpaceX tell us.

There was a visual event on Starship at 7:07. That probably caused some adjustment to the course. At 7:43 you can also see what looked like cold gas thrusters trying to adjust course. Soon after that you have the engines shut down. A few moments after that the FTS kicks in for Starship.
The 7:07 event may have been LOX leak, maybe autogenous pressurization issue?
7:43 looked like a minor attitude tweak as it was somewhat symmetric.

What was the expected burn time for 2nd engine? Rather how many more seconds of burn was still needed to put the ship into orbit ?

And Yes, what a sight it was to see all the 33 engines of the booster perform flawlessly (atleast visually) all through MECO. Did any of them underperform..? we wouldn't know until SpaceX tell us.
Starship ignition was supposed to start @2:41 with termination @8:33 per Spacex, (Note the goal was not orbit but sub-orbit.)
SpaceX

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
It was a beautiful launch and I loved watching it, but I was a little deflated because it looked like a Falcon 9 launch. I had to remind myself that it's greatly scaled up.

Then I was watching the NSF replays, and they showed the launch as seen from Corpus Christi. That huge cloud of water vapor and dust spread across the entire area and obscured the rocket and launch tower. Then the rocket rose from the cloud. Then some more rocket appeared. And more. It just kept rising out of that cloud and that gave me a sense of how freaking huge that rocket is. It was actually intimidating to watch it moving that fast.

What a launch.

Sadly, we may have to wait until March for another.

Reactions: scaesare