Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SpaceX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree Johan. But I wouldn't discount SpaceX from eventually being a Boeing competitor. I remember Elon saying that space lift pricing could come down to the $100,000 range when they have full reusability - at that point, you are cost competitive with at least the private jet industry.

They are worried and rightly so ... SpaceX is cutting the cost a lot and Ariane with multinational democratic building with appeasing government participants instead of cost efficiency will not be able to compete at some point. Once SpaceX can ramp up the rocket production and has enough sites to launch regularly they'll undercut the costs even more and getting the reusability on track will make it essentially game-over for the competition.

Now monopoly is never good so I do hope others keep their efforts going, but SpaceX does have a clear path towards the future with increasing cash flow and gaining better and better competitive edge.

Not being an aerospace engineer myself, I have to rely on what someone more knowledgeable about such things has to post. While I was in a commenting war with an idiot that thinks SpaceX, like Tesla, is only mooching off government programs and would not be in business without "greenie" support, I came across a commenter that seemed to know a lot about the aerospace industry and he mentioned a rocket engine designed by Rocketdyne for the SLI (Space Launch Initiative) as an alternative to the RD-180 that is used in the Atlas V. In researching the details of that engine I was surprised to find that it was designed with reusability in mind.

RS-84

I did not know that anyone else was making a reusability attempt besides SpaceX. The RS-84 was intended to be reused 100 times.

Maybe the costs might be more than SpaceX but there are alternatives that can be tried. I suppose up until now there was no motivation to lower costs.

Maybe the costs might be more than SpaceX but there are alternatives that can be tried. I suppose up until now there was no motivation to lower costs.

I believe it's more like "Rockets are such risky critters that it's best to stick with what works rather than try something new if you are an established rocket manufacturer".

I'm in the US now, flew here in one of the new Boeing Dreamliners. There was an intro movie clip on the screens where Boeing very proudly explained about all the new features of the Dreamliner: no window blinds but electrochromatic window, new design of the luggage racks, better lighting, a tad lower fuel consumption. The plane is nice but really it's not much different from a 747 built in the 70's. While I listened to the presentation all I could think was "You guys [Boeing+Airbus] don't know how lucky you are that Elon doesn't have time right now to do his electric plane". I'm absolutely 100% positive Elon/SpaceX/Tesla or a newly formed company could dominate the comercial airplane market within 10 years. These old dinosaurs wouldn't know what hit them.

Airbus is already working on electric planes.

Wow. I just read the "competitive development" and "TSLA movements" threads. In these a very clear and concise pictures if forming of Tesla wiping the floor with the competetion. Then I come to this thread and realize that this is even more so obvious with SpaceX vs. ULA and the EU guys.

I'm in the US now, flew here in one of the new Boeing Dreamliners. There was an intro movie clip on the screens where Boeing very proudly explained about all the new features of the Dreamliner: no window blinds but electrochromatic window, new design of the luggage racks, better lighting, a tad lower fuel consumption. The plane is nice but really it's not much different from a 747 built in the 70's. While I listened to the presentation all I could think was "You guys [Boeing+Airbus] don't know how lucky you are that Elon doesn't have time right now to do his electric plane". I'm absolutely 100% positive Elon/SpaceX/Tesla or a newly formed company could dominate the comercial airplane market within 10 years. These old dinosaurs wouldn't know what hit them.

Those dinosaurs have giant inertia. Lots of engineers doing the same thing over and over again, for 40 years. In my company, they recognized the fact that stubborn or outright mentally lazy old personnel is hindering progress in many places. So, lots of hiring of fresh blood going on. Go forward, or stay behind ;) .

We have two major tests happening at the beginning of next year: The Dragon Inflight Abort and the Falcon Heavy.

Upcoming Launches | SpaceX Stats

If there aren't any satellites to be deployed during either of these then they should also be a major testbed for reusability. I'd hate to lose 3 first stages testing the F9H. I'm not sure how much NASA has given SpaceX for Dragon testing so I'd hate to lose that first stage as well. A perfect test flight for reusability if you ask me to have both the first stage and the Dragon V2 return for a landing.

Status
Not open for further replies.