Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spare lay flat tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put together a D-compatible tire repair solution for myself last weekend. The following components all fit in the D-frunk and should be able to let you repair most tire problems on your own:

Total: $201.64 + tax & shipping.

You can take any tire off the car (remember to put air suspension in jack mode) to repair it with the BlackJack kit or the Tesla kit, air it back up after repair with the Tesla kit, and put the tire back on the car.

I considered just the two tire repair kits, but I was concerned that I might not be able to repair the tire while it was on the car. Especially in the case of a puncture to one of the rear tires towards the centerline of the car, this would be very difficult to reach with the BlackJack tools.

If you're gonna bother putting a spare in, might as well through a cheap jack and breaker bar in too, ~$40 and you don't have to wait for roadside assistance.

Yeah, but then I'd have to figure out how to mount it all so they're not rattling around. I actually have a jack and breaker bar that I could use. I was just recalling that the last few times I've had roadside assistance change a flat for me, they never use the car's own jack or tools anyway. They just grab the spare and use their own jack and lug wrench.

I do keep a set of foldable wheel chocks in the car already. I figure if I ever have a major failure, I can put the car in Neutral and chock the wheels so that if the 12v dies, it will be easier to drag it on to a flatbed. (Can't release the Parking Brake with a dead 12v).

Yeah, but then I'd have to figure out how to mount it all so they're not rattling around. I actually have a jack and breaker bar that I could use. I was just recalling that the last few times I've had roadside assistance change a flat for me, they never use the car's own jack or tools anyway. They just grab the spare and use their own jack and lug wrench.

I do keep a set of foldable wheel chocks in the car already. I figure if I ever have a major failure, I can put the car in Neutral and chock the wheels so that if the 12v dies, it will be easier to drag it on to a flatbed. (Can't release the Parking Brake with a dead 12v).

Guess it depends on where you are, but changing a flat is quick and easy, I wouldn't want to wait for roadside assistance to do it.

Guess it depends on where you are, but changing a flat is quick and easy, I wouldn't want to wait for roadside assistance to do it.

I don't disagree, in fact, I do my summer-winter / winter-summer changeovers myself at home all the time. My luck with flats has been that I'm dressed and on my way to work and don't feel like getting all dirty changing a tire. The last time I had a flat, I was on the way to work and the roads were all snow/slush covered. It was worth the bit of time to wait in that case!