Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speaker icon below 5mph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys

I noticed this one the other day -- 2020.36.11 and in the UK. When going very slowly (5mph or less), a new speaker icon appears in near the autopilot visualisation. Tapping on it doesn't seem to do anything, and I've not seen it before. It's a bit intermittent; perhaps related to whether or not the cameras detect people?

My first thought is that it's to show that the M3 is emitting a low-speed sound (spaceship whirring sound) which I believe is becoming a requirement on slow moving EVs... but, I wound the windows down and couldn't hear anything.

Wondered if anyone has seen the same thing?

I tried using this yesterday to mute the flying saucer sound in reverse, but it didn’t have any effect. Not sure if I’m doing it wrong.

I actually like the sound, just was curious about the speaker icon after seeing this thread.

I tried using this yesterday to mute the flying saucer sound in reverse, but it didn’t have any effect. Not sure if I’m doing it wrong.

I actually like the sound, just was curious about the speaker icon after seeing this thread.
The icon controls the proximity alerts related to the ultrasonic sensors. It doesn't affect the noises emitted by the pedestrian warning system speaker.