Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Bump Hit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most local shops won't know what they are looking at. In an ideal world, I'd have Tesla look at it but for me, I'd probably roll it up on ramps first and check it for dings and check for coolant dripping, particularly near the leading edge of the battery pack. And then if I see the battery pan is dented, I'd probably take it to Tesla to have them run diagnostics and check out the physical damage. I suspect chances are you're fine. Small (but somewhat heavy) objects piercing the skid plate in front of the battery and clipping a coolant line is probably more dangerous than bottoming out (slowly) on a speed bump. I bottomed out my Bolt in the same situation and it didn't even have a dent. It often feels much worse than it is.

Mike

Keep an eye on your garage floor. If you see engine oil leaking, you're in BIG TROUBLE... 🙃

In all seriousness, likely just the plastic side protectors, but if it would help you sleep at night, you could have someone familiar with Tesla's take a look.

Reactions: catman44
This happens occasionally on mine. It's fairly low on KW3s and the splash guards behind the front wheels sometimes hit the tops of parking garage bumps.

I bet you're good. If you look under the car on a lift, it seems to me like you'd need to crease the canals on both sides quite a bit to manage to scrape the battery case on a transverse speed bump.

Reactions: catman44
Speed bumps are fickle things. Depending on width/height of the speed bump, sometimes you are better popping over them at 15 MPH than 5 MPH because at slower speeds, the suspension can compress just in the wrong spot. On others, you'd better take them at 1 MPH. Wish there was some (legal) standard. I've gotten pretty good at judging them but when in question, I just crawl over them like a turtle.

Mike