Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed Limiter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Test drove a 3 and a Y back to back on Saturday. It turns out the French government will chip in 6000€ to the cost of a standard 3. So although we marginally preferred the Y we couldn't resist the deal on the 3 and ordered one.
But here's the thing, here in Europe roads are crowded and there are speed enforcement cameras everywhere. And every time you are caught you lose points on your driving license. Lose too many and you get a ban. So, for the past nearly 20 years every car I've owned has had a speed limiter - Jeeps, Renaults, Peugeots, Mercedes ... So I set a limit which means I can slow down by lifting my foot for rural bends, pedestrians, other hazards ... and when it's safe I can speed up again whilst not being in danger of breaking the law. And when the posted limit changes, with one touch I can change the limit in the car.
I now find that Teslas don't do this.
Should I cancel my order?

Test drove a 3 and a Y back to back on Saturday. It turns out the French government will chip in 6000€ to the cost of a standard 3. So although we marginally preferred the Y we couldn't resist the deal on the 3 and ordered one.
But here's the thing, here in Europe roads are crowded and there are speed enforcement cameras everywhere. And every time you are caught you lose points on your driving license. Lose too many and you get a ban. So, for the past nearly 20 years every car I've owned has had a speed limiter - Jeeps, Renaults, Peugeots, Mercedes ... So I set a limit which means I can slow down by lifting my foot for rural bends, pedestrians, other hazards ... and when it's safe I can speed up again whilst not being in danger of breaking the law. And when the posted limit changes, with one touch I can change the limit in the car.
That's something only you can answer.
If you feel that you lack the self control to let off of the throttle on your own to avoid points and that will keep you from purchasing a vehicle... There is your answer.

Indeed, I have a tesla model 3 and very annoying that given all the technology geeks that TESLA said, a simple maximum speed limiter is a no no.. all cars I have driven in the past 10 years - all have such speed limiter function.

We certainly use TACC around town to match our speed to the limit. You just have to leave your foot off the pedal when you want your limited speed. You still have accelerator control, and can actually cause the car to go slower than the set maximum without leaving TACC. It's easy to dial the speed you want, but mostly I just brake to slow for a corner and re-enable TACC when I'm ready. If the speed limit changes I hold the shift stalk down for about 3 seconds to reset the maximum speed, or spin the right-hand wheel as needed. I haven't nailed the speed icon touch yet.

We're setting our max speed to the limit + 8 MPH, but you can set AP for +0 MPH if that's what you need.

It's a slightly different process, but I don't think it's any harder to implement than a traditional speed limiter.

• Informative
Reactions: BigNick