Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speed limit sign recognition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it astonishing that my Tesla 3 shows me an accurate image of every speed limit sign that I pass but this is not reflected in the speed limit shown on the control panel. My previous BMWs, going back ten years, both had this functionality! I understand that in the US it is a Tesla feature but here in Europe it isn’t. Is there any chance of this changing?

The last time I drove in Europe the GPS was able to pick up the speed limits without reading signs and maybe Tesla does the same? It is in the software to read them but maybe there are regulations on using it? Here in the states it uses both. One minor annoyance is that while it can read speed limit signs it can't read signs that say "End speed limit" or "End 35mph Limit" on a road that otherwise uses the state speed limit of 55. At some point usually the GPS picks up from there.

Reactions: Larry93428
Upvote 0
How do you report this?

Attachments

• 20230902_124039.jpg
    20230902_124039.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 193
Reactions: brianbcc
Upvote 0
Not sure if the vision system reads speed limit signs on the road. Nor do I know if the mapping software covers mobile home park speed limits. One thing that would probably correct this is if the place posts a standard black-and-white speed sign just before the one on the ground.

As far as reporting this to Tesla, you might try a contact page at tesla.com. They are not known to be very easy to get in contact with the right people however.

Upvote 0
There are a few signs near us where the sign says “End 40” but the car isn’t picking that up and thinks the speed limit is still 40. This is an issue when on autopilot as it won’t then speed up to the 55 limit that is implied by these signs here in NY State. How can I report this to Tesla?

Upvote 0
All these variations of signage makes me wonder if we will need a standard everywhere before FSD can happen. Same with construction barrel placement and lines on the roads.
MUTCD is the standard in the USA. Sort of, because some states use it, some states have their own addenda and other states have their own version.

Reactions: Lance From Jax
Upvote 0
I wonder if having GPS based speed limit if not more reliable or accurate than using road signs
because a road sign can be hidden by a truck or the various shape not been always recognised?

In particular I noticed that freeway exits speed signs are not always noticed and when using FSD
I need to adjust manually the speed using the right knok on the steering wheel otherwise
the car will take the exit curbe at 65 mph.

To my knowledge FSD doesn't recognised schhol zone with a time shedule speed limitation.
Either construction zone with speed limitation also are not recognised, idem for speed bumps.

Upvote 0
It could be 50 years before roads all adhere to a new standard, and even then some dodo will leave their garbage cans in the road
Agree 100%, but I think we should start thinking about it now.

As an example, next time they put up a truck speed limit sign here, someone should say, "Let's do it the correct way, instead of just slapping a TRUCK sign above the normal speed limit sign.

R2-2P_dd2189a7-dbc9-4a61-975b-996d030c2458_530x@2x.jpg

Truck Speed Limit Road Sign.jpg

Upvote 1
Agree 100%, but I think we should start thinking about it now.

As an example, next time they put up a truck speed limit sign here, someone should say, "Let's do it the correct way, instead of just slapping a TRUCK sign above the normal speed limit sign.
Agreed! Our Model 3 likes to see one specific truck sign as being for him. Every time it changes from 55 to 45. The cruise control stays at 55, but on the screen it shows the 45.

Upvote 0