Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speedometer reading super high speeds after 12v replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
E479B39C-006B-4E18-AB10-60D71EBCC861.jpeg E479B39C-006B-4E18-AB10-60D71EBCC861.jpeg Like the title says i got my 12v replaced because it died 12 hours after giving me a warning. After fix car reads absurd speeds on speedometer. Made me laugh at least

Personally, I like it when guys post up problems they're having, and how they end up fixing it.

Maybe someone here has had the same issue, and can offer advice on how to clear the problem without having to result to a SC visit.
Well of course, and hopefully there's a quick fix that someone will post. But in the meantime it's a safety and legal issue - cars are legally required to have working speedometers, and for obvious reasons you want to know how fast you're going. I'd think you want to get this resolved ASAP, instead of waiting for strangers on the internet to offer possible solutions.

Reactions: Bill Foster
Well of course, and hopefully there's a quick fix that someone will post. But in the meantime it's a safety and legal issue - cars are legally required to have working speedometers, and for obvious reasons you want to know how fast you're going. I'd think you want to get this resolved ASAP, instead of waiting for strangers on the internet to offer possible solutions.
Ah, my mistake... I misunderstood your post as discouraging him from posting about it here, but I understand your intent now. And yeah, I agree, it's definitely something that needs to be taken care of quickly.

Seeing as how this thread is a couple day old, I'll just leave this here for future searches:

Option 1:
Although usually not needed, you can power off Model 3 while sitting in the driver’s seat, provided the vehicle is not moving. Touch Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off. Model 3 automatically powers back on again if you press the brake pedal or touch the touchscreen.

Option 2:
If your touchscreen is unresponsive or demonstrates unusual behavior, you can restart it. To do so, shift into Park and hold down both scroll buttons on the steering wheel until the touchscreen turns black and the Tesla logo appears. Within approximately 30 seconds, the touchscreen restarts. If the touchscreen is still unresponsive or demonstrating unusual behavior, contact Tesla.

Option 1 is a great general purpose reset that fixes most little issues, but it's important to sit in the seat with the car off before restarting it to let it do it's thing. It takes 3-5 minutes for everything to shut down - if you're in a quiet enoguh place you'll hear all the little fans eventually stop, and then a bit after that you'll hear the superbottle/cooling system burp (or something like that) - after that it's ok to press the brake pedal.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
So the issue ended up resolving itself, turned the car on this morning and back to normal, also had msg about autopilot not working until next start by the way which also is gone. I checked mileage and it didn’t go up more than expected. Just a weird funny thing that hopefully the next time someone does a google search this post will pop up instead of nothing.