Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spiky power generation on a completely sunny day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bnsuckling: Your image looks just like the issue I had for a couple of weeks. It looks like you have at least 2 inverters, and one is intermittently going out, or your inverter has two stages and one of the stages is going out. If you trace the path described by the bottom of the gaps, it seems to follow a smooth curve.

Here is what mine looked like before Tesla fixed it:
View attachment 940085

The red curve is power from "legacy" solar panels and inverter that I have had for over 10 years. Tesla recently added more panels and Powerwalls. You can clearly see where the Tesla inverter was failing for about 30 minutes at a time, 4 times on this day.

I had from 1 to 4 of these gaps every day for the first two weeks after PTO.

I contacted service through the Chat feature on the support page. At first they said it was probably just clouds, but eventually (3 chats and 2 weeks later) I convinced them that something else was going on. They were able to fix it remotely.

It has worked fine now for the past 2 weeks.
I still get an occasional "dropout" like the ones shown above, but it's down to 1 or 2 times a week instead of 1 to 4 times a day. It still irritates me, but I know I'm not going to get any help from Tesla. They will say that I am still producing within the promised range, which is probably correct. Each gap loses about 2 kWh, or 18 cents worth at my current rate.
I'm still hopeful that Tesla will continue downloading updates to fix bugs, the same as do with my Model 3.

One of my two homes has this same pattern during the hot months of the year, during the hottest middle part of the day. It is a consistent pattern for about 4 hours or so surrounding noon. My spikes go down all the way to zero.

Last year was the first full year of operation when I noticed this issue. A couple of times, the system totally stopped producing as well. A hard restart of the system got it producing again. After going back and forth several times with Tesla, multiple service appointments, etc., they claimed that they had fixed it. By the time they did so, it was towards the end of the hot months. So, there was no way for me to really verify it. It is summer months again now, and I see the same problems are back. I believe that this is costing me about 10% of my production during the hottest months of the year! Not very happy that Tesla is not able to properly diagnose and completely fix this issue.