Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar and Powerwall Install Complete - SoCal Oct 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congratulations! (Doubly so on the weep holes! I had to ask nicely for them.)

I believe that you hit the nail on the head. The relevant phrase being "inhabited living space".

I can see that your electrician thinks in unistrut. Nothing is moving there!

All the best,

BG
Thanks!

Yeah not the prettiest MSP install. We had it upgraded when we bought the house a couple of years ago. The inspector had a few issues that he made the electrician fix. I had to end up scheduling the follow up inspection myself and the inspector pointed out a couple of workmanship issues that he let pass.

Reactions: BGbreeder
Personally, I think it looks great, neatly done, but I get it that not everyone likes to see the backbones of their home. I think workmanship issues are inevitable, even in my own work. I learn, and look back at prior work and think "why did I do it that way?".

Just following up with an update.

I haven't really heard anything from Tesla besides an automated email that my design was updated (to match the installed layout) and an email from my advisor to clarify that I had a partial home back up and two loads are not backed up which I knew and expected from my initial design back in April. My Tesla account does not reflect that the system was actually installed so I might call in a few days to make sure I'm not stuck in limbo.

Everything seems to be working as expected. The app settings initially only had the ability to set the reserve and only self powered mode as an option. But over the first week every few days another setting would show up. First, time based controls showed up, then storm watch, and finally vehicle charging when off grid. I still don't have the ability to configure the app to show the go off grid button which would be useful to manage not exporting power to the grid especially when I am not at home.

The one issue I did notice when on the roof is that several of my panels are marred. At least with the one I checked it does not seem to be actuals scratches in the glass as I could scrape the material off with my fingernail. I know this probably has minimal impact on the panel functionality but as an optical engineer in pains me to see that an optical surface was treated poorly. I didn't see the installers mishandling the panels but obviously was not watching them the whole time. Since these were probably near the last of the 340W panels it may have been these panels were out at other job sites and then returned or bottom of the barrel so to speak. Just wondering if anyone else has seen something like this.
PXL_20211018_003343386.MP_2.jpg

Only other issue which is likely a problem with my network is that I can't always connect to the gateway via the local network. I get a destination unreachable error. I have a mesh network and can see via the wifi router that the powerwall is connected and sending/receiving data. If I look at what node the gateway is connected to and reboot that node which forces the gateway to switch to a different node then I can connect but run into the problem again a few hours later.

Just following up with an update.

I haven't really heard anything from Tesla besides an automated email that my design was updated (to match the installed layout) and an email from my advisor to clarify that I had a partial home back up and two loads are not backed up which I knew and expected from my initial design back in April. My Tesla account does not reflect that the system was actually installed so I might call in a few days to make sure I'm not stuck in limbo.

Everything seems to be working as expected. The app settings initially only had the ability to set the reserve and only self powered mode as an option. But over the first week every few days another setting would show up. First, time based controls showed up, then storm watch, and finally vehicle charging when off grid. I still don't have the ability to configure the app to show the go off grid button which would be useful to manage not exporting power to the grid especially when I am not at home.

The one issue I did notice when on the roof is that several of my panels are marred. At least with the one I checked it does not seem to be actuals scratches in the glass as I could scrape the material off with my fingernail. I know this probably has minimal impact on the panel functionality but as an optical engineer in pains me to see that an optical surface was treated poorly. I didn't see the installers mishandling the panels but obviously was not watching them the whole time. Since these were probably near the last of the 340W panels it may have been these panels were out at other job sites and then returned or bottom of the barrel so to speak. Just wondering if anyone else has seen something like this.
View attachment 725066

Only other issue which is likely a problem with my network is that I can't always connect to the gateway via the local network. I get a destination unreachable error. I have a mesh network and can see via the wifi router that the powerwall is connected and sending/receiving data. If I look at what node the gateway is connected to and reboot that node which forces the gateway to switch to a different node then I can connect but run into the problem again a few hours later.
Did you file a complaint for your scratched panels? I just saw another thread where the customer caught it when they moved the panels to his roof. He pointed it out and they replaced the panels.

It seems like they are pretty careless moving the panels to the roof.

Reactions: yblaser
Did you file a complaint for your scratched panels? I just saw another thread where the customer caught it when they moved the panels to his roof. He pointed it out and they replaced the panels.

It seems like they are pretty careless moving the panels to the roof.
Thanks for the reply and info. I haven't done anything at this point. As I said at least the couple of panels I took a close look at it was less of a scratch and more of a material transfer from whatever it was rubbed against. With a soft cloth and some elbow grease I could remove it myself.

I need to more closely inspect the rest of the panels but haven't had time. They scheduled a maintenance appointment this Thursday to verify everything is working so I could ask them then although they are probably the wrong people to address this with. Inspection is scheduled for next Monday.

The other thing I want to address during the maintenance visit was the air conditioner working off grid. I did connect to the gateway and used the off grid button (I don't have it in the app) and turned on the AC. It started but the house had a brown out causing lots of things to reset. I don't know if using the off grid option will cause the gateway to fall back to the grid in such a condition so should really test it with the main breaker off.

The other thing I want to address during the maintenance visit was the air conditioner working off grid. I did connect to the gateway and used the off grid button (I don't have it in the app) and turned on the AC. It started but the house had a brown out causing lots of things to reset. I don't know if using the off grid option will cause the gateway to fall back to the grid in such a condition so should really test it with the main breaker off.
I had the same issue with my install, it is supposed to be addressed in a later software update where the Powerwall+ can handle more LRA. The LRA on my AC units were under the specs of the Powerwall+ specsheet too. I just had the maintenance crew install soft starts on my AC units and that fixed the issue.

I had the same issue with my install, it is supposed to be addressed in a later software update where the Powerwall+ can handle more LRA. The LRA on my AC units were under the specs of the Powerwall+ specsheet too. I just had the maintenance crew install soft starts on my AC units and that fixed the issue.
Thanks. I don't have a + just two Powerwall 2s. My LRA is 117 on the nameplate. They didn't install a soft start so I'm planning on requesting one.

Didn't pass inspection today. The inspector had two issues.

One, in the load panels the ground bar was fastened to the enclosure with what looked to be a course threaded sheet metal screw. Since there was not three threads of engagement the enclosure wasn't grounded properly.

Second, he wanted the 125A breaker in the MSP to the gateway tied down. He said it would have been okay with just solar but with PWs it needed to be tied down. I don't know the code here but I would think with the gateway it wouldn't need to be tied down in that if the breaker was accidently pulled the gateway would prevent backfeeding. That at least seems to be with the spirit of the code.

I'm guessing it will take a couple of weeks to remedy the installation and reschedule inspection.

Didn't pass inspection today. The inspector had two issues.

One, in the load panels the ground bar was fastened to the enclosure with what looked to be a course threaded sheet metal screw. Since there was not three threads of engagement the enclosure wasn't grounded properly.

Second, he wanted the 125A breaker in the MSP to the gateway tied down. He said it would have been okay with just solar but with PWs it needed to be tied down. I don't know the code here but I would think with the gateway it wouldn't need to be tied down in that if the breaker was accidently pulled the gateway would prevent backfeeding. That at least seems to be with the spirit of the code.

I'm guessing it will take a couple of weeks to remedy the installation and reschedule inspection.
Couple things:
If the ground bar was the factory unit, its been UL listed with that panel. Mot sure why someone would replace the ground bar, but if that happened it needs to use the correct fasteners.
The 125A breaker in the MSP is not required to be fastened.
2017 NEC 705.12.B.5 specifies that you can omit the hold down breaker fastener normally required by 408.36(D) since the PV and ESS Inverter is utility interactive.

Couple things:
If the ground bar was the factory unit, its been UL listed with that panel. Mot sure why someone would replace the ground bar, but if that happened it needs to use the correct fasteners.
2017 NEC 705.12.B.5 specifies that you can omit the hold down breaker fastener normally required by 408.36(D) since the PV and ESS Inverter is utility interactive.
What usually happens in these cases? Does the inspector have final say and require Tesla to install the tie down regardless?

Couple things:
Thanks. I don't think this panel comes with a ground bar. Below is an image I grabbed off the internet for the panel model. Tesla added a small (~5 position) ground bar horizontally at the bottom.

Good information regarding the hold down. Thanks!
39e92b18f5bb9db209fea107d3fe2d79d05affa9-large.png

Reactions: Vines
So the second inspection didn't pass either. Tesla scheduled it for yesterday and came out early to make the fixes. They ended of tying down the breaker and replaced the fasteners on the ground bar. The inspector still was not happy with the fasteners. I wasn't there unfortunately since I thought it was going to be an easy pass so don't know the details. Here is a picture of the bar as it stands now. The old fasteners were clearly sheet metal screws and only had at most one thread of contact, but the new ones look like they are fine enough to have full engagement. I think the concern is with how many threads of engagement are into the panel itself. Oh well, I guess we'll have another go at it.

oydgi-a4MMkx7-sawBEPsc8aFNbY0oi8KVzO4kp3AmJmTb42-C9Q8vDE2AqJ76lW2hWo8R6wD0Imc_4Knca089--PbsuAm6UcNNrKx9FdWkuRS246O6RgPGp1Tb_YO2BuFYyQlFuJewTq9CQ8MGg6qQPeNqjNJqCE3FDhiVOLAr1Q8gx0up43qFZ3heSrZKv-QJVuPAYcRAjwGZtzfcGHyTI-vm5Xf3zrrkffS9zvh1IeJ7N0euEiSfVUOyvTm3C452mAsA1YW6mRrYd93yZ17h_DEyQa6CCIJ90TA8Bmf9yOXfBxcZQ96gGpJeBZAJKNSJLgVWXJe95Er_-W37AKbyl5GwoVWxjJJTc8UnVUS3xlz6BScqotEKe_RNwzH9iVzgEmH6wvJ7UO_fH7Ko5RBajVV4B37lc5huFqCpVrytDy6sx8ayGFNee2SDL1FWIFotfl99GBfoq8eRZbePVJtOUCiePyZEx-IYTRJsv5IeP-gX7bbaCC71Dlyki4E4FWKBKuP_l5iuA8lbwpMubjz7vf1Fn5hu1Z-oPG4yWKIDxxvNAgrVNe36NFo4j-sLpbF9maQk9OmsElYm7u0eYiiLWCjHI-yh2nIyuiWF-foCrSlQuiAcW-Htq1IHKXKi9kW1x6kSBSAuJG_xlZxIcStH0A3XIsMs4s4mmGFk9kKjYAnAUtkTxQ5E_keNdtIDXZKMZ4j5fyT_fZ5JmSNS0n3BaTg=w2128-h1602-no

Finally passed inspection yesterday.

The pictures above where actually after they fixed the issue. I just didn't realize they had resolved it when I took the pictures.

The Tesla rep happened to be with the inspector at another home right before my inspection was scheduled so he just showed the inspector the pictures and the inspector signed off without actually coming onsite.

Finally passed inspection yesterday.

The pictures above where actually after they fixed the issue. I just didn't realize they had resolved it when I took the pictures.

The Tesla rep happened to be with the inspector at another home right before my inspection was scheduled so he just showed the inspector the pictures and the inspector signed off without actually coming onsite.
Congrats! Now Tesla will ask you for payment. Are you paying them in full? Hopefully they don't delay your PTO.

Congrats! Now Tesla will ask you for payment. Are you paying them in full? Hopefully they don't delay your PTO.
Just paid them in full over the phone with a credit card a few minutes ago.

They did ask me for a new copy of my electricity bill last week, so at least someone at Tesla is doing something toward getting PTO. I'll continue to post here to let everyone know how it goes.

Reactions: BGbreeder
Well a day later SCE has returned the interconnection request because it contained errors. At least thanks to SCE for the 24 hour turn around. It sounds like the request only had one battery where the SLD and the permits correctly show two. I don't know how Tesla prioritizes these in their queue, but hopefully the update does not take long.