Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spiral Wrap your charging cable (tip for other klutzes)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because my garage is a little messy and the charger is hiding behind a bunch of stuff I run the cable along the side of the garage and then route it to reach the charge port, but if I'm not paying attention I will step on/trip over the cable.

So I got some higher visibility spiral wrap a little larger than the diameter of the cable so it can slide around easily. Provides protection for the cable itself plus I alerts me so I don't trip over it. Shop around online but it tends be a little expensive for the larger diameters since real industrial users need this stuff (to cover things like high pressure hydraulic lines) so look on eBay for someone who sells short, leftover sections.

Screenshot 2021-10-16 152614.png

Great tip! I worry about running over the cable with the yard machines coming in and out of the garage plus the abrasion of dragging it across the floor.

The mobile connector cable is really high quality and so far has held up great but this is nice to add protection and visibility.

This looks like a great way to help our boys (5 & 3) hopefully pay attention a bit better!

Our MY delivery is coming soon, so I don’t have any firsthand charging experience yet. How warm does the cable get at 32 amps? It looks like most of that wrap is made of LDPE. Just wondering about heat dissipation /buildup?

This looks like a great way to help our boys (5 & 3) hopefully pay attention a bit better!

Our MY delivery is coming soon, so I don’t have any firsthand charging experience yet. How warm does the cable get at 32 amps? It looks like most of that wrap is made of LDPE. Just wondering about heat dissipation /buildup?
The mobile charger cable does not get warm at all.

The mobile charger cable does not get warm at all.
Thanks Mike!
I also contacted the brand I was interested in (D-Line). They confirmed the continuous operating temps for their LDPE are between -60 and 90* C. That's 194*F
I assumed that even at level 2 charge capabilities that the cord wouldn't ever be so warm that it couldn't be touched. The operating temps confirm that the heat shouldn't be an issue. Thanks again.