Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post your Garage charging setup! (pictures, Wall Connector, multi-EV)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@dcfas you don't need to put the cable inside the pipe. I just have it zip tied to it so far.
I wouldn't put the cable in the pipe, the pipe would insulate the cable, and it would overheat if you pull full power through it, and likely shorten it's life. These sorts of cables aren't designed to be run inside of pipes, and definitely not black pipes in full sun.

• Informative
Reactions: Noflash
When I had the Tesla wall connector installed I told the electrician I may have another charger installed in the near future. I asked him if there was a way to “future prep” the install so that the labor would be less intensive (such as running wire behind walls, etc.). He simply added a loop while running the wire. I’m not sure how having the extra wire would help if adding another wall connector. The connector is currently on a single 60amp breaker.

Reactions: My_MMS_75D
When I had the Tesla wall connector installed I told the electrician I may have another charger installed in the near future. I asked him if there was a way to “future prep” the install so that the labor would be less intensive (such as running wire behind walls, etc.). He simply added a loop while running the wire. I’m not sure how having the extra wire would help if adding another wall connector. The connector is currently on a single 60amp breaker.
I don't know any details on this, but I'm told the Tesla wall chargers are meant to be daisy-chained.

If this is a Gen 2 station, then the approved way to connect two stations is share a single circuit, so the loop of wire would allow him space to put connectors in and split off for the additional stations. (up to 4 total)

Last edited:
Finally got my referral wall connectors installed today. Two 60 amp circuits in a one inch conduit from the other side of the house, split in the garage. One right next to where my mobile connector has been for the past two years so I can continue to back in. The other line over the garage door and in the perfect spot between garage doors. Lets my wife's future Tesla pull in straight, so we don't bump driver doors. Also keeps my teen in the Outback on the other side of the Garage. Phew! Super happy with Elevation Electric I found from the Tesla recommended installers. Joe connected them both to wifi and configured them to split the charge when both plugged in. Now I can set to charge on non-peak hours. Just need to get that second Tesla now. 😂
PXL_20230918_231604459.jpg

PXL_20230918_233324759.jpg

Finally got my referral wall connectors installed today. Two 60 amp circuits in a one inch conduit from the other side of the house, split in the garage. One right next to where my mobile connector has been for the past two years so I can continue to back in. The other line over the garage door and in the perfect spot between garage doors. Lets my wife's future Tesla pull in straight, so we don't bump driver doors. Also keeps my teen in the Outback on the other side of the Garage. Phew! Super happy with Elevation Electric I found from the Tesla recommended installers. Joe connected them both to wifi and configured them to split the charge when both plugged in. Now I can set to charge on non-peak hours. Just need to get that second Tesla now. 😂
View attachment 975096
View attachment 975097
Curious. 2 60 amp circuit runs in a 1” conduit from the other side of the house? What size wire did they run for that? Typically a 60 amp short run will require 4 gauge wire. That’s an awful small pipe for (6) wires that size? 120 amps in a 1” pipe is crazy small, I would watch for heat on that.

Curious. 2 60 amp circuit runs in a 1” conduit from the other side of the house? What size wire did they run for that? Typically a 60 amp short run will require 4 gauge wire. That’s an awful small pipe for (6) wires that size? 120 amps in a 1” pipe is crazy small, I would watch for heat on that.
60amp in conduit is normally done in 6gauge THHN wiring, not 4gauge. I think if you were doing romex it would need to be 4 gauge but I am pretty sure you wouldnt run romex in conduit like that.

60amp in conduit is normally done in 6gauge THHN wiring, not 4gauge. I think if you were doing romex it would need to be 4 gauge but I am pretty sure you wouldnt run romex in conduit like that.
I would have skipped the conduit and run 6/2MC for each Wall Connector. A lot easier 1 step install than the 2 step conduit then THHN.

Also these runs should be direct with nothing from the breaker to the Wall Connector. No J boxes, no sub panels, no nothing.

I would have skipped the conduit and run 6/2MC for each Wall Connector. A lot easier 1 step install than the 2 step conduit then THHN.

Also these runs should be direct with nothing from the breaker to the Wall Connector. No J boxes, no sub panels, no nothing.

I knew I'd prob get some of the details wrong. :) Maybe the 1" conduit memory is from the initial quote with just one line going to the garage. I did ask about two wires in one conduit (plus ground) overheating and he said it wasn't an issue. Installer was a Master Electrician. It does look bigger than an inch. Here a pic of the outside conduit and the text from the estimate:

For the installation of (2) new 240V 60A circuits for customer-supplied Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connectors.
One WC to be mounted at back right corner of garage and the second to be mounted between 2nd
and 3rd garage bays on front wall. Conduit to be ran from main 200A service panel, on lower
portion of front porch, up porch post to back side of porch beam, into garage where conduit
will be surface mounted on ceiling/ walls to each WC location. I6AWG THWN-2 and 10AWG THHN EGC
to be installed in conduit

PXL_20230919_134952974.jpg

I knew I'd prob get some of the details wrong. :) Maybe the 1" conduit memory is from the initial quote with just one line going to the garage. I did ask about two wires in one conduit (plus ground) overheating and he said it wasn't an issue. Installer was a Master Electrician. It does look bigger than an inch. Here a pic of the outside conduit and the text from the estimate:

For the installation of (2) new 240V 60A circuits for customer-supplied Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connectors.
One WC to be mounted at back right corner of garage and the second to be mounted between 2nd
and 3rd garage bays on front wall. Conduit to be ran from main 200A service panel, on lower
portion of front porch, up porch post to back side of porch beam, into garage where conduit
will be surface mounted on ceiling/ walls to each WC location. I6AWG THWN-2 and 10AWG THHN EGC
to be installed in conduit

View attachment 975204
4 6ga, and 2 10ga grounds (neutral not needed) only fill the 1" EMT to 24% if I am remembering correctly. The real question is around the rule for more than 3 current carrying conductors in a conduit, but anyway...

Two Gen 3 Wall Connectors. No power sharing. I have three 200 amp panels, each Wall Connector is wired to a separate panel. The grey boxes are Generac load shed devices which will disconnect the wall connector if my 60 kW generator is overloaded, but the generator will power both chargers and run the whole house with no issues. Since the Model 3 is rear wheel drive, peak load is 80 amps if both cars are charging at the same time.

One wired with #6 THHN/THWN in conduit, the other 6/2 MC cable. Both on 60 amp circuits.

Mini-split AC to keep everything nice and cool down here in SE Florida.

IMG_2750 2.JPG
IMG_2749 2.JPG
71675430489__F82273C2-35C7-42FF-9973-6EA14EEC406A 2.JPG

Last edited:
Two Gen 3 Wall Connectors. No power sharing. I have three 200 amp panels, each Wall Connector is wired to a separate panel. The grey boxes are Generac load shed devices which will disconnect the wall connector if my 60 kW generator is overloaded, but the generator will power both chargers and run the whole house with no issues. Since the Model 3 is rear wheel drive, peak load is 80 amps if both cars are charging at the same time.

One wired with #6 THHN/THWN in conduit, the other 6/2 MC cable. Both on 60 amp circuits.

Mini-split AC to keep everything nice and cool down here in SE Florida.

View attachment 979875View attachment 979876View attachment 979877
Wow. 600 amps in a home! I would be afraid of your electric bill.

Reactions: kppolich
Wow. 600 amps in a home! I would be afraid of your electric bill.
It is overkill. Easily could have been done with a 400/320 class service, including two 11.4 kW EVSE circuits. I have done a load study that proves that.

I have proved that empirically too. The meter is a Class 480 , which feeds three 200 amp main disconnects (which are built in to the three Generac transfer switches), and those feed the three panels in the garage. Not counting the EVSE circuits and pool heater which we rarely use, with almost everything on (all lights, a/c, ovens, electronics, pool pump (we have gas hot water and cook top)) the load is less than 150 amps. Both EVs charging at the same time would run that up to 220 amps.

But I am glad to have more than I need. Made installing the EVSEs very easy.

It is overkill. Easily could have been done with a 400/320 class service, including two 11.4 kW EVSE circuits. I have done a load study that proves that.

I have proved that empirically too. The meter is a Class 480 , which feeds three 200 amp main disconnects (which are built in to the three Generac transfer switches), and those feed the three panels in the garage. Not counting the EVSE circuits and pool heater which we rarely use, with almost everything on (all lights, a/c, ovens, electronics, pool pump (we have gas hot water and cook top)) the load is less than 150 amps. Both EVs charging at the same time would run that up to 220 amps.

But I am glad to have more than I need. Made installing the EVSEs very easy.
I envy your setup. While not the norm I have a home arcade with 50 plus pinball machines so 200 amps doesn’t go far…. lol.

IMG_1880.jpeg