Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Post your Garage charging setup! (pictures, Wall Connector, multi-EV)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Noflash

Aug 11, 2020
Denver
Listings
Piggy-backing on this thread I found in the Canada section that ran from 2018 -2021:
Post your Garage charging setup!

Did not see a general or recent thread on garage setup pictures.

Minor updates to the Canada thread's guidelines:
1. snap a photo of your charger setup in your garage
2. comment on what you did and why
3. state any future plans
4. discuss, but don't devolve into a "zero-emissions" discussion

I'll go first.

I've survived ~2 years on the Mobile Charger. Works 90% of the time for me.
PXL_20230903_171021145.jpg

Just got enough referral credits so I ordered the Wall Connector.

In thinking about a future second Tesla it seems like this weight-bearing post in between the first and second garage spots would allow two Teslas to share the Connector. Though the handset/plug coming out of the side of the charger and the way the cords wrap over the charger seem like they would be hard to walk around. There is much less room when all three cars are parked in the garage. I'm assuming I can re-purpose the plug holder I use with my mobile connector. I could mount it below the connector charger. I'm very interested to see cable management of others and especially two-Teslas-on-one-Wall-Connector setup.
PXL_20230903_171048253.jpg

This is the example pic of the wall connector on a post that makes me think the wires and plug would be hard to walk around when the cars are parked on both sides.
1693762532858.png

Reactions: easyev and GSP
Here's ours. The first wall connector - to the right of the picture - was installed in 2017 for our 2017 Model S. The second wall connector (on the left) was installed in 2018 for our 2018 Model 3. As you can see, we recently sold the Model S and now have a 2023 MYP there. The wall connector is the "Elon signature black" model that I got as a referral reward years back.

60 amp breaker, wall connectors set to 48 amps each with "slave" mode on and the communication wire connected between them so that if one car is charging it does 48 amps, but if both cars are charging they each get 24 amps. This has worked well for us for 5 years now.

PXL_20230904_155308436.jpg

Here's ours. The first wall connector - to the right of the picture - was installed in 2017 for our 2017 Model S. The second wall connector (on the left) was installed in 2018 for our 2018 Model 3. As you can see, we recently sold the Model S and now have a 2023 MYP there. The wall connector is the "Elon signature black" model that I got as a referral reward years back.

60 amp breaker, wall connectors set to 48 amps each with "slave" mode on and the communication wire connected between them so that if one car is charging it does 48 amps, but if both cars are charging they each get 24 amps. This has worked well for us for 5 years now.

View attachment 970944
I didn't realize that was a possibility. I have enough credits for a second wall charger. I will ask my electrician about this setup. Thanks!

Reactions: pilotSteve
I had the Tesla wall charger added a few days before I got the car. I had it mounted between the garage doors in a 3 car garage. 2 car door on the left, single bay on the right. This allows the charger to get too 6 different parking locations. And from there I don't have a cable draping over a car. Installation cost was $1300. It would have been only $850 to have mounted it on the wall inside of the fuse instead of running conduit to the center of the garage.
1000014197.jpg

Just setup my second Wall Connector this past weekend to charge our second Tesla in the garage. Since I have one big garage door, figuring out where to put the charger and cable for the right-hand side car was a challenge. I think my solution works well though!

I actually put a video together to show it here!

Here are some photos.

IMG_5505.jpg

Image preview

Image preview

View attachment 970944
This looks like a super-convenient setup, but I don't think it's possible anymore. My electrician said you could do this with Gen 2 chargers, but not the current Gen 3. I'm on the fence now about running two 60 amp, one 100A to a sub-panel in the garage, or just one 60 amp for one WC for the cars to share.

This looks like a super-convenient setup, but I don't think it's possible anymore. My electrician said you could do this with Gen 2 chargers, but not the current Gen 3. I'm on the fence now about running two 60 amp, one 100A to a sub-panel in the garage, or just one 60 amp for one WC for the cars to share.
Putting 100amps to a sub panel and then doing 2 60amp breakers from there going each to a gen3 wall connector is how my setup (will be) is done. I just sold the Gen2 unit and shipped it yesterday. Expecting the new Gen3 from Tesla over the weekend. With 2 Gen 3s setup this way, you can set a max network amperage (80amps if running to a 100amp main panel breaker) but an individual max of 48 amps. This will accomplish each car charging at 48amps when charging alone and then automatically dropping both to 40amps when plugged in at the same time.

I'm also hoping for some more intelligence in the solution in the future. I'd like to see them, for example, set the car with lower state of charge to 48amps and the higher state of charge car to 32 amps until they even out and then auto set them to 40amps until full. This would optimize the time to get both to full.

Reactions: Noflash

Gen 3s do power sharing too, but they do it via wifi and not a communication wire. You also are supposed to have a separate breaker for each wall connector even if they are in a power sharing setup, for Gen 3s, while for Gen 2 wall connectors you can use a polaris style connector to split the connection.

I have (2) gen 2s like @Jerry Ham , setup for power sharing a 60amp circuit (48amp charging) for a model 3 and model Y. I use the scheduled charging setup to start the model 3 charge at 3am in the morning, and the model Y at 4am. They almost never overlap, but if they are charged at the same time, each charges at 24amp, till one finishes and then the other one will ramp back up to 48amp.

TL ; DR you can still do power sharing with gen 3s but its setup a bit differently if you do it to code / per the installation instructions.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and Noflash
Gen 3s do power sharing too, but they do it via wifi and not a communication wire. You also are supposed to have a separate breaker for each wall connector even if they are in a power sharing setup, for Gen 3s, while for Gen 2 wall connectors you can use a polaris style connector to split the connection.

I have (2) gen 2s like @Jerry Ham , setup for power sharing a 60amp circuit (48amp charging) for a model 3 and model Y. I use the scheduled charging setup to start the model 3 charge at 3am in the morning, and the model Y at 4am. They almost never overlap, but if they are charged at the same time, each charges at 24amp, till one finishes and then the other one will ramp back up to 48amp.

TL ; DR you can still do power sharing with gen 3s but its setup a bit differently if you do it to code / per the installation instructions.
Thanks for the info. I'll ask my electrician about it. Last we spoke I was just going to run 2 60 amp circuits. It's prob overkill. Just waiting on the second WC in the mail.

Reactions: GSP
IMG_20180630_173046.jpg

My garage has 4 fixed stations, each on 100 amp circuits. They are all OpenEVSE based, but with large contactors. Since they only are backed by a pair of 150 amp circuits from the main panels, I can't run 80 amps by 4 cars, but have to allocate power based on what is parked where. This is all done in software so it's easy to move power around when I change cars or garage configurations. I also have two Nema14-50 outlets for when I have more than four cars charging, or as a backup for a station failure.

It's a beast of a setup, and doesn't require dynamic power allocation. It was built to exploit the really low price of overnight energy, which typically only exists for 3 or 4 hours a night. The stations can schedule charging, so the less intelligent cars can be controlled that way. They are all J1772, so I keep a spare Tesla adapter on the cables that have Tesla's plugged in all the time. This is obviously a custom job, and I did the work myself because I wanted very specific things. It has met my needs for years now, and it's pretty awesome. My current mix of cars aren't as demanding, only capable of pulling 128 amps combined. At some point I will replace the i-Miev which will likely bring me up to 144 or 160 depending on what I get. Regardless it's far below the rated 240 amps continuous the pair of 150 amp circuits can deliver.

1694569093638.jpeg
IMG_20180511_163839.jpg
IMG_20180815_141448.jpg
IMG_20180812_193847.jpg
IMG_20180630_173019.jpg