Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spontaneous shattering of glass in front door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C55D66B8-F62D-4890-963B-B717A807145B.jpeg
Our new M3 was parked outside - in a remote area without any risk of vandalism. The driver side glass shattered spontaneously over night. This was in the mountains of Colorado.
Not good. Hope it was just a freak incident and not something that is common. Glad we were not driving...

View attachment 351708 Our new M3 was parked outside - in a remote area without any risk of vandalism. The driver side glass shattered spontaneously over night. This was in the mountains of Colorado.
Not good. Hope it was just a freak incident and not something that is common. Glad we were not driving...
It doesn't appear it could have been vandalism because the glass is outside the car. Had it been smashed by a vandal, the glass would have gone into the vehicle and left some jagged edges, one would think. Please keep us updated if you figure anything out regarding a cause.

It doesn't appear it could have been vandalism because the glass is outside the car. Had it been smashed by a vandal, the glass would have gone into the vehicle and left some jagged edges, one would think. Please keep us updated if you figure anything out regarding a cause.
Glass is elastic. Even if you break it from the outside some will come back out.

Glass is elastic. Even if you break it from the outside some will come back out.
Point well taken; I just learned something new. My experience with broken glass had always simply been sharp and bloody (mine) :(

And even though we all think our remote areas of the country are "safe," my area in the Quad Cities of IA/IL has become grand theft auto in the past year because teenagers are evidently bored and looking for any joyride they can break into. So maybe it was simply someone up to no good...maybe even one of those darn fluffy bears spotting some honey inside the 3? :)

The tempered glass used in cars shatters easily from a tiny impact, e.g. when hit with a small amount of very hard material (such as "Ninja rocks"). So it's absolutely possible that someone vandalized the car even if most of the glass landed outside. I have never heard of car glass spontaneously shattering, but I guess it might be possible e.g. if there was a tiny crack already and temperature differentials or other environmental factors caused enough tension to reach the breaking point.

Reactions: Tron 3
Point well taken; I just learned something new. My experience with broken glass had always simply been sharp and bloody (mine) :(

And even though we all think our remote areas of the country are "safe," my area in the Quad Cities of IA/IL has become grand theft auto in the past year because teenagers are evidently bored and looking for any joyride they can break into. So maybe it was simply someone up to no good...maybe even one of those darn fluffy bears spotting some honey inside the 3? :)
No problem. Here's an example for you to see.
I always thought of glass as this rigid fragile stuff, until I tried to break it and saw how much it flexed.

View attachment 351708 Our new M3 was parked outside - in a remote area without any risk of vandalism. The driver side glass shattered spontaneously over night. This was in the mountains of Colorado.

I think I see a piece of glass on the dashboard near the brown trim by the steering wheel. Is your center console area open? Maybe see green glass in there too or perhaps its a reflection from your glass roof on the shiny gloss black center console. Really hard to tell from the photo. Also curious what is in the passenger seat. Was anything rummage through or stolen from inside the vehicle? When our car was broken into, we had nothing for them to take. However they moved on and totally shattered and broke out this Honda SUV’s rear cargo window and stole things in the back there. Looked like their rear window for the most part was laying on the ground kind of like your photo and what I’ve seen of other cars in parking lots that were broken into. Even our small triangular window in our Model S was mostly laying in pieces on the ground with some more inside. I don’t know if I’ve heard of car windows like that exploding so I guess having a hard time believing that as opposed to an act of vandalism.

Also if the window exploded outward with force to take the whole window out, I don’t think I would be seeing small green glass pieces laying straight down from the door edge on the ground. Would think they would be propelled farther out from the car.

Last edited:
I guess maybe I’ll take that back and say there might be a possibility it shattered on it’s own. I remember hearing news stories a while back of shower doors and microwave doors shattering. Searched and found this video news story from an ABC station:

If you read through the comments over the year or so the story aired, there are a few people who had car windows explode on them. So thinking: with a side tempered glass window and if you had the car heat turned up all toasty (maybe vent was positioned towards the window) and with the cold freezing outdoor temps you had...possible I suppose.

Last edited:
It’s unfortunate but car window smashes have gotten very common at most the trailheads within an hour of Anchorage up here in AK. And they look pretty much exactly like your picture. I’ve seen a lot over the last few years and all have most the glass on the outside. A cop friend told me a spark plug on a piece of rope. They smash and pull the window outward.

I’m concerned with our model 3 as to most smash and grab criminals the digital screen probably looks like an iPad Pro...

Last edited:
Same just happened to me, except entire rear liftgate window. Spontaneous explosion. It was cold, about 33-degrees F outside. Car was parked and I had the defrost on blast for about 15 minutes. Hope this is a one-off thing, and not due to living in cold regions.

Some say it is ultimately the result of a manufacturing impurity (look up nickel sulfide in tempered glass).

IMG_2753.jpg