Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

sport and insane mode feel the same to me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not sure if its just me but I notice no difference between insane and sport mode
they feel the same

Whats your battery charge level at? Please see my thread here about power limiting on the P85D: P85D 691HP should have an asterisk * next to it..

Insane mode seems to cease as the battery level decreases and the car performs at Sport mode shortly after a full battery charge from what I have noticed.

Seems pretty simple to answer:

1) Charge to 100%

2) Launch once in sport, while videoing a stopwatch and the speedometer in the same frame.

3) Launch once in insane on exactly the same road start point, capture same video.

Compare the videos at you leisure. Report back here!

not sure if its just me but I notice no difference between insane and sport mode
they feel the same

I have a P85 and I also can't tell the difference. Took a ride-along in a P85D and everyone screamed except for me. I sat there and just said, cool, it feels just like my car! Of course that can't be the case because the P85D accelerates one full second faster than my car so the difference should be obvious. But with five people in the car, it didn't feel as fast as it should.

I think it makes a HUGE difference when driving "in town" or less than 60MPH. I actually tried to go back to sport, after driving mainly on insane for a couple of weeks, the feel just wasn't the same when driving in town. The sport mode felt wrong to me, like the car was missing something (After getting used to insane). It makes a difference how you drive too. The reason I wanted to go back to sport was because I was driving too insanely in town and began to worry a bit. For example, if you are going 30MPH and all of the sudden you give it a little push, you can get to 80-90MPH pretty easy and the feel it's just exhilarating. In sport, you do get there but it doesn't feel quite as exciting in the process. Not to mention the launches from traffic lights, oh man, I try to not do too many of those so that I save my tires but the 0-60MPH launch is certainly something else. I do have more fun just driving it and making quick maneuvers though, if I go a day without driving the car I feel like I'm missing something and just want to get out. I don't know if other cars, or other Model S variants, make you feel this way, but so far I'm enjoying insane mode for sure :)

*Note: a lot of my local roads have speed limits of 55mph, so you can certainly push it a bit around town. I actually have a red light where the speed limit reading 55mph is right across the street in front, quite the temptation as I seem to get stuck there every day :)

I think somebody should set up a blind test to settle this once and for all. Get several Tesla drivers together. Have each driver do several launches in a P85D set to insane mode or sport mode, with the selection being made randomly beforehand without the driver's knowledge. Then see if they're able to identify which mode it's in at a rate that's better than chance.

I'd offer to do it, but alas, I only have an S85....

they feel the same

Frankly they do to me too. And, it seems odd to me that it can remain in the insane mode even if you switch to range mode....what I find most concerning is that no one from Tesla has this all mapped out and in an explainable format.

For example:

What do to the different combinations of choice enable or limit? insane/normal;
insane/range; sport/normal/ sport/range; sport or insane - I haven't found anyone providing any explanation.

It would seem logical that one would 'turn everything down' for a longer trip; however, is that really necessary? I feel like they are lacking the right information and certainly lacking a common understanding even within TM Service Centers.

range mode =
sport mode as compared to insane = ?
combination A =?
and so on...

Last edited: