Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify always starts playing when I open the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

I'm a new owner of Model Y Performance and so far so good except that damned Spotify. Whenever I open the car or open the door it starts playing the music. Doesn't matter if I paused or stopped the music. It is extremely frustrating.

Is that a cure for this "feature"? I mean, if I paused the music it stays paused.

If there is no solution can I delete the native Spotify? I rather stream music from my phone via Bluetooth than using this annoying crap.

Thanks for any suggestions!

At the very least it should play whatever streaming method was used last. I wouldn't think it goes back to spotify if the last time you used the radio...

Since your car is new, it might still be on delivery software. Give it a few weeks to get an update and then see if it's still a problem.

Hey All,

I'm a new owner of Model Y Performance and so far so good except that damned Spotify. Whenever I open the car or open the door it starts playing the music. Doesn't matter if I paused or stopped the music. It is extremely frustrating.

Is that a cure for this "feature"? I mean, if I paused the music it stays paused.

If there is no solution can I delete the native Spotify? I rather stream music from my phone via Bluetooth than using this annoying crap.

I just came across your post. I have the same problem and have tried everything to stop Spotify from playing when I enter my car.

Hey All,

As CaseyL wrote, log out of Spotify - i have the same issue that came after latest update 26.7, it works better before, even sound was better before.

I have a similar problem. Spotify doesnt play but every time I start the car a full screen Spotify QRcode covers the entire screen. Its really annoying to have to swipe it away to see the navigation screen every single time. I dont have a login. I dont use spotify. I never intend to subscribe to spotify. I've disabled spotify as a source. I just want that damn QR code to disappear every time I get into the car.

Any ideas?

Its a new MY and just installed a download of 2023.26.9. I dont recall it doing this with the factory original firmware version.

I have the same issue with both Spotify and Apple Music. There is no way to keep them from starting automatically when I get in the car. Tesla streaming app is ok most of the time, so I have stopped using Spotify/Apple Music in my car as a result. I wish I knew how bad Tesla's software and customer support was before I bought my car.

I had the same problem and it got to my nerves. Now as I understand, the problem is found and Tesla knows about it. I reported the issue through the service app, and I started to have a conversation with one of the service guys. After sending the requested info to investigate this behavior, finally I got an answer that the reason is the Sentry mode. When it's on while parking and you enter the car, Spotify starts to play, when it's off while parking, Spotify doesn't start. They forwarded this info, so hopefully they fix it soon.

I had the same problem and it got to my nerves. Now as I understand, the problem is found and Tesla knows about it. I reported the issue through the service app, and I started to have a conversation with one of the service guys. After sending the requested info to investigate this behavior, finally I got an answer that the reason is the Sentry mode. When it's on while parking and you enter the car, Spotify starts to play, when it's off while parking, Spotify doesn't start. They forwarded this info, so hopefully they fix it soon.
I always leave Sentry mode on, and usually Spotify auto plays, but sometimes it doesn't. When you say Sentry mode "on while parking", can you clarify what you mean?

Spotify plays when I open any door, including backseat, to get something, and ceases to play on other current device, like household speaker. Sentry mode off at home, pausing finishing driving, etc, makes no difference. An annoyance for over 4 years, no change. I have read many times that it is designed behaviour, half of users like it, but for some, it is unwanted behaviour, with no off switch. Reported, Tesla likes it, thinks it is clever, end of story.