Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Spotify issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting the same Spotify issue that I've had before whereby the next track doesn't play and the play button becomes a never-ending loading wheel.

It seems to be the way that Tesla interacts with the Spotify API. If I view an album for example, there's no option to play it. Not a problem per-say, as if you press a track it'll start playing that. On both desktop and mobile, Spotify treats that as playing the album. The next track will be the next track on the album, and if you set it to loop it'll continuously play the album...

However...! On Tesla it treats that as just playing the song. There's no next button because there is no next track in the eyes of Tesla. Loop repeats that single song, sometimes, or it just ends. And interestingly, if you're playing Spotify in-car and then move to another device:

• Google Home flat out gives an error and is unable to continue playing, like it doesn't recognise what it was doing before
  • On desktop, it carries on playing similar tracks, aka radio. Shuffle and loop are unavailable like it's fallen into an error state (actual Spotify radio should allow you to shuffle and loop).

Basically Tesla is telling Spotify the wrong thing.

I also have it where Spotify says that my car is playing/using Spotify, even hours after it's been locked.

As a fairly new owner I'm really surprised there's such a basic error with the handling of tracks, especially now they're asking for you to pay for Premium Connectivity. Does anyone know if it's been reported and/or any statements made about it in the past?

My son has his Spotify account logged in on my Model S. Recently it seems to have got a lot worse, from getting it connected in the first place (he has to change the bluetooth phone connected from mine to his) then significant faffing to actually get the Spotify up and running but often this process sends the screen into looping soft resets. Very annoying. Unusable a lot of the time and on rare occasions it works sort of ok. I haven't taken much interest in getting a resolution as, well you know 18 years taste in music versus 50 something year old :)

But a do feel for the poor fella. He tells me how cr*p my car is because it won't do the simple task of playing his Spotify account :(

I am having issues with the connectivity more than anything. It's really annoying; basically the connection keeps dropping but there's no rhyme or reason to where it does it. it always seems to be when i first get in to the car, that I have to drive for a while before it comes back on line. It also sometimes requires a screen reset to get it up and working.

Any ideas or is this normal?

I have been having issues with spotify recently. Fairly regularly drops out due to loss of connection, but it has started to completely freeze, mid song. Takes about 3-5 mins to start working again. Its starting to become quite annoying, especially when im belting out a banger!

I’ve had more loading errors recently than before. So I’ve defaulted to using the radio. I hope it resolves itself because my free premium connectivity will be up in September and so far I’m not convinced I’ll be paying for it beyond that. I have a family sub to Apple music anyway so may just Bluetooth that from my phone.

That said, I like the user interface of using Spotify on the Model 3 screen, so would happily use it if it worked consistently. I’m not bothered about being able to build playlists for the car so using the Tesla free Spotify account would be fine. However, another problem I have with it is saving favourites tracks or albums. It just doesn’t seem to work for me, so the only way I can use it seems to be to search / browse for albums every time. Anyone else see this?

Mine's just terrible, I'm going to create a service request.

If I load an album I can skip next tracks, but once the track's playing next becomes disabled and the same track repeats over and over. Clicking previous plays the same track. Shuffle or repeat settings make no difference.

Unlike every other device it seems to sit in its own local system as well; ie if I play a song on my phone then Google Home/my desktop/laptop etc will carry on playing that song, literally from where it left off. Tesla defaults to playing what it was last playing regardless.