Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Square All Seasons with Model Y performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like you can't order a stealth Model Y performance anymore. I am torn between the Model Y LR + $2k perf upgrade versus just going all in on the Model Y Performance.

One question I had was going from staggared to square setup + going all seasons for longevity and better road manners. I would be going down to 19 or 20 inch wheels (either aftermarket or getting some used OEMs).

My question was to anyone who has a performance how

1) Going to squared (you lose some rear width) impacted you at all
2) Going from sticky summer tires to more of an all season type also impacted grip.

Can you even use the full power/acceleration of the Y performance with a squared, all season tire setup?

Seems like you can't order a stealth Model Y performance anymore. I am torn between the Model Y LR + $2k perf upgrade versus just going all in on the Model Y Performance.

One question I had was going from staggared to square setup + going all seasons for longevity and better road manners. I would be going down to 19 or 20 inch wheels (either aftermarket or getting some used OEMs).

2) Going from sticky summer tires to more of an all season type also impacted grip.

Can you even use the full power/acceleration of the Y performance with a squared, all season tire setup?

I have a MY Performance, I recently went from 21" to 19" with the box setup. To answer your questions:

1) I haven't notice impact from going to square setup.
2) This depends on the tires you get, I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4... highly recommend these tires. Grippy, 0 to 60 seems faster but I am just going by feel.

Reactions: Jbapckfan

I have used 19” Geminis with stock Continental tires and 20” Sportwheels with Michelin Sport A/S 3+ - both set up squared.

The 21” Überturbines with staggered Perrellis feels more planted vs the above, but objectively by using Dragy - acceleration is a tad better when I was on the 19” Geminis with stock Continentals.

Weird, but that’s what I got 0-60 on Dragy.

8A309CCC-C41D-4916-991E-3D8AF374CE20.jpeg 9E67BCF8-3742-4D4D-B753-4336F0F28C3E.jpeg

There’s no question the 21s grip is excellent and the car feels connected to the road. I’m on Michelin A/S 3s (wouldn’t buy again, loud) and I haven’t pushed it really hard but they grip pretty well. The ride is noticeably better on 20s.

5940A5DE-C14C-4B8F-9ACD-59BCC1704403.jpeg

OP: How much time are you going to spend on a track? Or driving it like you stole it? Are you going to obsess over tenths of a second on your 0-60 times?

If none of the above, then you are not losing much by going to a square setup. I think the weight savings by going to a good 19 or 20 inch rim and decent rubber will actually yield slightly faster 0-60 and I suspect more distance per charge. But that will cost you another $3-4K, depending on how far you want to take that. Martian light weight forged rims, say $2200 for 19 inch + taxes and s/h, Tesla TPMS $300 + taxes, and rubber say $1200 + taxes and mounting, and you are closing in on $4K USD.

And do not expect to switch to all seasons and still have the same grip as a summer performance. There are trade offs when going with an all season tire, what's the expression - jack of all trades and master of none. If you live in a place where it gets too cold for summer tires (less than 45 deg F or so) or plan on driving in snow or to such places, then you need to decide if switching over to all seasons for year round, or buying a second set of wheels for the off season and using winter/all seasons, which is what I did, see my sig.

My plan is to get 265 Front / 275 Rears All Seasons when my stock 21" tires go out. If they release a wider rear tire in 35 like a 285 or more, i will jump on those two. I am not a fan of stretched tires, I prefer buldged.

Also, I do not have enough data points but if possible I will prefer to move up to 40's or 45's tall tires if others report they fit without rub on their 21's.

As long as you have all season, over the super summer tires, they will last way longer.

I'm a Michelin fan, the only tires that I ever purchase. However, I am so diggin' the Pirelli P Zero's that came on my MYP and glad to have staggered back! Never could understand why my MS P100D had staggered but my MS Performance didn't.

I like them too, but I hate how they are stretched on both rims. Wish there are some wider tires on 35 profile. I would do 275 front 295 rear if they had em.

I purchased a pair of front uberturbines (255/35/21) with the intention of replacing my rears (275/35/21). I like the look of the 21” uberturbines but I was hoping for a square set to help with the tread life. I already have 13,500 miles on my PUP (purchased in August) and my rears are practically BALD. The fronts are still holding strong at 7/32. I’m also considering leaving the 275’s on the rear but going with the Michelin all season tire.... I’ve read on here that someone put the 265 tire on the front 255 rim and it seems to be working fine. I’m torn between these two options.

I purchased a pair of front uberturbines (255/35/21) with the intention of replacing my rears (275/35/21). I like the look of the 21” uberturbines but I was hoping for a square set to help with the tread life. I already have 13,500 miles on my PUP (purchased in August) and my rears are practically BALD. The fronts are still holding strong at 7/32. I’m also considering leaving the 275’s on the rear but going with the Michelin all season tire.... I’ve read on here that someone put the 265 tire on the front 255 rim and it seems to be working fine. I’m torn between these two options.
If you feel adventurous, can you see the fitment of 10.5;s in front. I wouldn't mind rocking a larger square.

Got a 993 911 for track and canyon carving. This is purely a family hauler and a highway car! So I wouldn't expect the need for too much lateral grip. Mostly concerned with stop light and on/off ramp fun, wet/colder weather safety etc. Seems like square setup on MP4S or A/S 3/4+ on 19 or 20s will work just fine for me use.

As for cost, yea it will suck to buy new wheels, but my plan is to wear down the initial tires first and then evaluate.

I like them too, but I hate how they are stretched on both rims. Wish there are some wider tires on 35 profile. I would do 275 front 295 rear if they had em.

I, too, have been thinking of wider tire options and have been plugging different combinations into this calculator. When the rear tires are spent, I'm going to work with a tire shop to see how wide I can go on the Uberturbines.