Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Squishy" sound during low speed <15mph - Performance Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any recent MYP owners have this issue driving at low speeds? I can't hear it with my windows up, but once I roll them down it makes this "crunch" noise or like something is being compressed every single time the tire makes a full rotation.

My December 2021 build MYP makes a flapping sound with every wheel rotation. Seems like it comes from rear passenger side on my case. I can only hear it when window is down. My car is at Tesla service center. Tech went on ride with me and said he would have to compare to another MYP.

Dropped off the car at the service center this morning and just got the car back. Here was the issue:

Concern: customer states hearing a creaking sound from right rear at slow speeds

Verified Client concern from passenger rear tire when traveling at slow speeds. Swapped rear tire/wheels assemblies side to side and noise migrated. Dismounted tire and found foil tire manufacturer label stuck to tire near inside bead surface. Removed label, mounted and balanced tire then re-installed on vehicle and performed test drive to verify noise is no longer present.

Can you believe that? It was a manufacturer label sticker... holy frickamole

Dropped off the car at the service center this morning and just got the car back. Here was the issue:

Concern: customer states hearing a creaking sound from right rear at slow speeds

Verified Client concern from passenger rear tire when traveling at slow speeds. Swapped rear tire/wheels assemblies side to side and noise migrated. Dismounted tire and found foil tire manufacturer label stuck to tire near inside bead surface. Removed label, mounted and balanced tire then re-installed on vehicle and performed test drive to verify noise is no longer present.

Can you believe that? It was a manufacturer label sticker... holy frickamole
Thanks for posting this. I sent the info to my service advisor since my car is in the shop and this is one of the few items they need to look in to. The service advisor thanked me for the additional perspective.

Reactions: jkwak11
Exact same noise on a Jan 2022 build MYP. Started hearing it around 300 mi on the car. Going to look at center caps and any stickers that may still be on there. Fitted with 21" Ubertines.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkwak11
Thanks for posting this. I sent the info to my service advisor since my car is in the shop and this is one of the few items they need to look in to. The service advisor thanked me for the additional perspective.
Got my car back. Originally car was sent to service center (SC) due to 4 significant body panel alignment / gap issues & cyclically repeating noise from rear passenger side wheel well area as car travels forward or backwards. My car was sent to a highly rated body shop which fixed all the panel alignment / gap issues. Car looks like a perfect build from Fremont factory now and a major source of trunk noise was eliminated too. But back to our common wheel well noise issue, I had a lead technician along for a test drive. He heard noise but said he’d have to compare with other cars to see if it is normal. When I got car back the paperwork said tech was unable to reproduce. I laughed because as I drove off the SC lot, the car was making the noise.
I’ll be booking another appointment.

Got my car back. Originally car was sent to service center (SC) due to 4 significant body panel alignment / gap issues & cyclically repeating noise from rear passenger side wheel well area as car travels forward or backwards. My car was sent to a highly rated body shop which fixed all the panel alignment / gap issues. Car looks like a perfect build from Fremont factory now and a major source of trunk noise was eliminated too. But back to our common wheel well noise issue, I had a lead technician along for a test drive. He heard noise but said he’d have to compare with other cars to see if it is normal. When I got car back the paperwork said tech was unable to reproduce. I laughed because as I drove off the SC lot, the car was making the noise.
I’ll be booking another appointment.
Damn, they had to outsource the car to get the panel gaps adjusted? Was it that bad? Jeez..

Sucks that they couldn't find the source..... Did they ever take off the wheels and take a look inside the wheel well and stuff?

Damn, they had to outsource the car to get the panel gaps adjusted? Was it that bad? Jeez..

Sucks that they couldn't find the source..... Did they ever take off the wheels and take a look inside the wheel well and stuff?
I do not think they took wheels off or looked in to it since they claim they could not reproduce the sound weeks later but heard sound when I went on test drive with them. I’ve booked a service appointment with that single issue only as the issue to look in to.

My issues were a bit more than simple gaps. Tesla service center told me they usually don’t have the machinery to handle trunk / lift gate alignments which my car needed because the machinery requires a lot of space and their facilities are usually cramped. So at that point they probably decided to have body shop handle all the other issues
and some issues were not easy tweaks. I have seen some YouTube videos of people’s experiences where Tesla opted to send the car to body shop just for some door fixes. Perhaps they have a complexity analysis which plays a factor. Fast panel alignment/gap fixes they do & harder fixes, outsource ?

Last edited:
Service center said they were able to replicate the issue, and performed a brake burnish to solve it. As soon as I pulled out of the service center, the noise was back. Still not sure what's going on. I may have to just pull the wheels and visually inspect everything.

FIXED !

Creaking noise coming from both rear tires. inspected both rear tires for abnormalities, no outside influence detected. Removed both rear tires off rims, found uneven surface between tire and rim bead due to manufacturer sticker stuck between surface causing noise from friction. Cleaned off surfaces and rebalanced both rear tires, confirmed no noise omitting from tires after repairs

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Has anyone found solution other than the sticker being in there? I have the exact same noise. When I took it to the service center they said the noise was not loud enough to be addressed.
My issue was also the sticker. Initial trip to the SC resulted in them dismissing it and burnishing the brakes to resolve, but the sound persisted. Mobile tech came by and was very skeptical that a sticker could cause it, so he didn't do anything. Finally took it to an indy shop to pull the tire, remove the sticker, and the sound was gone. The sticker was a thicker plastic, almost metallic in nature.

If you have a creak/squeak in your wheel that increases with rotation, very very likely it's due to the sticker.

My issue was also the sticker. Initial trip to the SC resulted in them dismissing it and burnishing the brakes to resolve, but the sound persisted. Mobile tech came by and was very skeptical that a sticker could cause it, so he didn't do anything. Finally took it to an indy shop to pull the tire, remove the sticker, and the sound was gone. The sticker was a thicker plastic, almost metallic in nature.

If you have a creak/squeak in your wheel that increases with rotation, very very likely it's due to the sticker.
Thank you! Sounds best to take it to an independent shop to get it resolved quickly. It just started on my other front tire. SMH