Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR downgrade finally coming!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are still not grasping the point. I agree that if the customer knew what was going away and then complained about it they are wanting something for nothing. There are many people who were told that the only difference was lack of auto pilot and shorter range. Now Tesla came out with an email stating those two things PLUS much more is going away. Heated seats, lower acceleration, multiple software features... who knows what else. The sales reps either lied are were not trained on what the downgrades would be. I suspect they just didn’t know (judging on Tesla’s past record of poor communication with their employees). As said before, the customers could have done further research and found out that what was told to them by Tesla wasn’t true but is that a customer requirement to double check every statement that a Tesla employee says? If you bought a Cadillac and was told that you had navigation free for a month and then it would be software deleted and accepted those terms, then after the month the navigation was deleted BUT you also lost heated seats, HD radio, collision detection and auto wipers wouldn’t you be a little upset? Same argument.
I don’t believe that. The only people that knew about SR were those that purchased it on the configurator or those that had to specifically ask about it because they previously saw it on the configurator. They may have selectively decided what they believed later but they knew earlier there was more than just those two features.

In the end, they will still get way more than they were told they would get.

The problem with getting what they paid for is whether they were told precisely what they were paying for.
At least one person in the thread is claiming the sales person only mentioned there will be shorter range after software lock up.
I am inclined to believe this story because salespeople will say things that aren't entirely true to make the sale whether they were misinformed or playing misinformed.
The problem with this story is they weren’t actively pushing the SR. You would have to know about it and specifically inquire about it. Those people knew the difference.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Guys, please don't feed the trolls .....

It's nice that TMC allows you to check out a member's post history.

For example, it may be helpful to know that before making numerous "contributions" to this thread, a user's last "contributions" to TMC were two years ago, to a thread called "Canceled my Model 3 Reservation"

A few sample posts below from that thread and others will give you the gist.

I am thinking of adding this option. I don't have any kids yet but I plan on starting a family in the future and also plan to keep the car a long time.

In the meantime, can small asian women fit in the seats? I hate to buy them only to have them unused for many years.

I have a lot of asian friends and some are short and petite. Just wondering if they could fit in the seats.

I think for what you are paying for the Model S and especially the Model X are both butt ugly. This model 3 is not going to win any beauty contests but its definitely compelling value. Assuming we can get the Federal credit (plus the California one where I live) what other car can you get for $25k that comes close? I just see these Teslas as boring appliances that will save me money on fueling costs for puttering around town. For real enjoyment I'll be driving an ICE car that howls and I get to change my own gears.

I had high hopes for it... but no gauges is ridiculous. Pass.

Um yeah. I can go anywhere in the U.S. 24/7 and 365 days a year as there are diesel gas stations EVERYWHERE. No need to wait for my car to charge or be worried of running out of a charge and being SOL. I didn't think this was a discussion on Hondas. Thought this was a Model 3 forum-- you know- the car with a battery with a limited range?

Will you be getting a license plate "COALPWR" for your coal burning electric vehicle? The #1 source of electricity in the U.S. is coal. But please proceed to tell me how your SPECIFIC car will be powered by windmills built with locally sourced drift wood or by solar panels built without Chinese slave labor using only environmentally clean Chinese energy sources.

I knew the Model 3 would be a boring appliance and I was OK with that if I got mine early enough to get the ~$10k Federal+California state credits. But when I found it would not have ANY gauges in front of the driver that was not something I am OK with. I see from your join date that you are another Johnny come lately Tesla Fan boy. I'm sure you will enjoy the Model 3 coming from a Camry/Accord equivalent econobox as you just don't know any better. But it's your money (+tax payer subsidy money) and you can choose to spend it how you like. I choose not to spend my hard earned money on this taxi drone product.

It's nice that TMC allows you to check out a member's post history.

For example, it may be helpful to know that before making numerous "contributions" to this thread, a user's last "contributions" to TMC were two years ago, to a thread called "Canceled my Model 3 Reservation"

A few sample posts below from that thread and others will give you the gist.

Ouch.

Apparently the email that went out yesterday specifically said heated seats will be deleted.

You mean this email?

upload_2019-6-8_9-4-17.png

Reactions: smashcz and Talax74
I don’t believe that. The only people that knew about SR were those that purchased it on the configurator or those that had to specifically ask about it because they previously saw it on the configurator. They may have selectively decided what they believed later but they knew earlier there was more than just those two features.

In the end, they will still get way more than they were told they would get.

I disagree. The media went nuts when Tesla finally released the $35,000 Standard Range model. I suspect thousands of people who never even opened the Tesla website went directly to the closest dealer and ordered the SR on the spot. I would say that many folks just didn’t want to spend $50K plus on a Tesla but considered $35K doable didn’t know the differences between the two. All that mattered was the price.

You are still not grasping the point. I agree that if the customer knew what was going away and then complained about it they are wanting something for nothing. There are many people who were told that the only difference was lack of auto pilot and shorter range. Now Tesla came out with an email stating those two things PLUS much more is going away. Heated seats, lower acceleration, multiple software features... who knows what else. The sales reps either lied are were not trained on what the downgrades would be. I suspect they just didn’t know (judging on Tesla’s past record of poor communication with their employees). As said before, the customers could have done further research and found out that what was told to them by Tesla wasn’t true but is that a customer requirement to double check every statement that a Tesla employee says? If you bought a Cadillac and was told that you had navigation free for a month and then it would be software deleted and accepted those terms, then after the month the navigation was deleted BUT you also lost heated seats, HD radio, collision detection and auto wipers wouldn’t you be a little upset? Same argument.

No, I fully grasp the point. BL: the people that got the SR got more than was originally intended (Vegan leather seats, different console, etc.). Did these people look up what the trim of the SR versus SR+ was? So no, personally, if I made a conscious decision to buy a car for a different price knowing it would be downgraded, no I wouldn't be upset. That's why I didn't buy a SR. That's why I didn't buy a SR+ because I wanted certain features that were not offered in those trims.

Also, I've bought enough cars (I actually own a Cadillac CTS-V) to know to take what a salesperson says with a grain of salt. Most of these people know less about what I am buying than I do. I've done the research to know what I want and what i want to pay before I walk into the store/dealer. It was pretty clearly communicated from Tesla from the beginning what would be included/not included. While it isn't right that Tesla employees may or may not have communicated something contrary to that affect, it doesn't absolve caveat emptor. I suspect this is why Tesla wants and encourages online ordering and initially pushed to close galleries and stores.

Being disappointed and/or pissed because of vague emails versus threatening to sue over a technicality on what was given on a monroney label knowing what your (collective your) intent was are two different things; one is an abuse of the legal system and is immoral.

I disagree. The media went nuts when Tesla finally released the $35,000 Standard Range model. I suspect thousands of people who never even opened the Tesla website went directly to the closest dealer and ordered the SR on the spot. I would say that many folks just didn’t want to spend $50K plus on a Tesla but considered $35K doable didn’t know the differences between the two. All that mattered was the price.

I think there could be a few of those but I don’t think they are on this forum.

For those few though they paid $35k and if that’s all that mattered then they shouldn’t be bothered by losing features they didn’t pay for.

That update was published in early March. It looks like someone updated the date to April 11 but did not correct the misleading information. The document that was distributed to customers via Tesla sales reps was this one. I believe the author got confused in thinking the heated rear seats in the LR models was also in the SR+ but it was not, so there was no difference between SR and SR+ regarding heated seats. No doubt they confused everyone though with this communication.

upload_2019-6-8_9-22-47.png

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
That update was published in early March. It looks like someone updated the date to April 11 but did not correct the misleading information
That update was really published on April 11.
How do I know? Because I bought my SR+ on April 4th and delivered on April 6th.
I initially ordered an SR on April 1st and switched to SR+ on April 4th. Having known the interior were going to be the same I would have stick with the SR. As soon as I saw it I called Tesla (April 12th) since I still was on my return period and I would have returned the car and bought an SR but I was told I will be able to downgrade and get a refund on price difference so no need to return the car.

Obviously if they don’t take away the front heated seats even better.

That update was really published on April 11.
How do I know? Because I bought my SR+ on April 4th and delivered on April 6th.
I initially ordered an SR on April 1st and switched to SR+ on April 4th. Having known the interior were going to be the same I would have stick with the SR. As soon as I saw it I called Tesla (April 12th) since I still was on my return period and I would have returned the car and bought an SR but I was told I will be able to downgrade and get a refund on price difference so no need to return the car.

Obviously if they don’t take away the front heated seats even better.

The trim comparison document I posted was heavily distributed in the retail showrooms and it clearly states that heated front seats are included in both SR and SR+ so I don’t see Tesla going back on that promise. If it’s any comfort I took delivery of a true “SR” last week and it had a window sticker stating it was an “SR”, it was software locked to 220 miles, and the heated front seats definitely work.

Okay here's the basic problem
TESLA SALES PEOPLE DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE SELLING AND INSTEAD OF SAYING THEY DON'T KNOW THEY JUST MAKE STUFF UP!!!!
I went to the Stanford, Ca. tesla office to buy a Model 3 - two sales people told me directly opposite information about the car I would purchase!! Both had worked there a while - so who was I to believe??? The simplest issue was that my car would come with cloth seats (this was in April when it was well known that no cars had been delivered with these seats and I had to decide if I thought they would retool before my car would be delivered). Of course this was after the Burlingame office had told me I COULD NOT ORDER a basic model but after reading online I called the Stanford office the next day and was told sure I could.

While some may seem to be asking for things unrealistically it does seem that at a minimum Tesla could simply provide accurate basic information that is easily available to both sales people and to customers - then we wouldn't be having this discussion!

The trim comparison document I posted was heavily distributed in the retail showrooms and it clearly states that heated front seats are included in both SR and SR+ so I don’t see Tesla going back on that promise. If it’s any comfort I took delivery of a true “SR” last week and it had a window sticker stating it was an “SR”, it was software locked to 220 miles, and the heated front seats definitely work.
Agree with you.
I was just marking on the fact the post was really from April.

BTW may you let me know if there’s any additional difference compared to the SR+?

Agree with you.
I was just marking on the fact the post was really from April.

BTW may you let me know if there’s any additional difference compared to the SR+?

220 miles range, no fog lights, presumably .3 seconds slower but I have no way to confirm that. Immersive sound was still available (On/Off only) but it’s possible that still may get removed since the spec sheet says it is not included. And we didn’t purchase AP. Otherwise they are the exact same car.

Status
Not open for further replies.